ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time upland hunting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Hello I was invited out to go pheasant hunting this weekend. I have been shooting clays for about 9 years. And have gone goose hunting. Right now I am leaning towards my clay gun a citori cx. My main question is what is the best way to walk the field with it. I am so used to walking with it broken at the club. Would I want to do that in the field until the dog starts to point then load it? Some of the general videos I saw guys with it closed yet pointing up.

Post subject: Re: First time upland hunting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:26 am 
Tournament Grade

If pushing a row crop field (more than likely what you'll be doing) then I would have the gun loaded, on safe and held barrel high. This is no different than how an auto loader would be carried. I do carry with the action broken open in the field at times but it's usually when walking from one spot to another, not while actively hunting. I wouldn't want to be carrying my action open while pushing a milo field either, too many little particles of crap to get down into the action or hinge.

I'd suggest you take whichever gun you are most comfortable and confident with, keep in mind you'll likely be doing a lot of walking so weight can play a factor. Lastly, the dogs won't go on point if hunting a row crop field, Pheasants tend to run until they can't evade anymore and then they flush so you'll have birds popping up left and right without warning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Plaines,

I agree with Tex68W, the only double guns I walk with the breech open are my Hammer Guns. With a good safety on a Hammerless gun I walk with the breech closed and the gun on safe. Learn to take the safety off as you raise the gun to shoot the birds. Reload immediately after firing the 2nd shot when bird hunting. Depending on your guns engineering, your gun should reset the safety when breaking the breech work open and then closing it. Some Classic guns do not reset the safety, make sure you reset it manually if required.

Have fun on your Pheasant hunt!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:06 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
It is a shame that learning things like safe gun-handling in the field have long-since ceased to be a part of growing up. Follow this link and check out Unit 6 - Be a Safe Hunter

https://www.hunter-ed.com/illinois/studyGuide/20101502/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:47 pm 
Crown Grade

You will carry it loaded, safety on, muzzle always pointed in a safe direction. Take safety off as gun is mounted to your shoulder. Safety back on, shot or not as gun is removed from shoulder. Take a light weight gun as you will be doing a lot of walking.