ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is The Wilson's Snipe The Most Underappreciated Game Bird?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

What do you think? My hunting companions describes shooting at them being like shooting at bats on crack cocaine! Humbling? Sure. Fun? Absolutely! :oops: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Is The Wilson's Snipe The Most Underappreciated Game Bir
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Yea, they can separate the men from the boys! Personally, I have a great deal of respect for them. The only thing that is limited is my opportunities to hunt them!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:21 pm 
Limited Edition

looks like a woodcock to me
are these a subspecies or just another name?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

They are fun and we have quite a few down here in the wetlands. We jump a lot of them near the watering holes when quail hunting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

twisted oak,

They are actually different birds than a Woodcock, and the Wilson Snipe are a lot more active in the air than the Woodcock, a more challenging bird to gun for sure.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:38 am 
Crown Grade

The snipe is actually a shore bird & smaller than a woodcock. You don't usually find them on the beach. They like shallow pools in wetlands, marshes & old rice fields.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

I have a book by Worth Mathewsson ...Reflections On Snipe which I can recommend...there are others, for those interested.
He was speaking mostly re snipe and the Oregon and Washington area, as I recall....Wilson's tho.

I am not in a position to be in coastal or other true snipe country but did flush one in Iowa years ago...they mimic woodcock a bit but differ in their own way, naturally.

However, here's hoping that snipe as a fine food does not suffer the same misunderstanding as often labeled upon the little trundling bogsucker, Sir Woodcock.

Fwliw, woodcock can be testing targets but also amongst the most easy of game bird targets...how snipe differ, I do not know, but suspect they differ little in other than in the minds of the admirers and...as luck falls for the bird.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:43 am 
Crown Grade

Multiflora said: Fwliw, woodcock can be testing targets but also amongst the most easy of game bird targets...how snipe differ, I do not know, but suspect they differ little in other than in the minds of the admirers and...as luck falls for the bird.

I have hunted and shot woodcock on several occasions. I can assure you that in comparison, there is no similarity to how snipe fly. It would be like comparing a helicopter's flight characteristics to an F16 fighter.

IMO the only target sport that simulates the flight of snipe is Helice. Unfortunately the snipe don't get up when you call pull and you must start from a field carry position!

Woodcock are certainly fun, but are challenging due to being found usually in deep woods with all the intervening cover. Snipe don't need any assistance to be challenging, and most often are shot where there is zero intervening cover.

In addition, woodcock are a bird dog's best friend and will hold beautifully. Never seen any dogs used for snipe so it is all just jump shooting at varying ranges.

IMO, there is no direct comparison with woodcock. You should give them a try if possible and you too will see why I think they are the most underappreciated game bird.

Last edited by oyeme on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:55 am 
Crown Grade

A woodcock is usually in a thicket & when they flush, one often has one foot tangled up in vines & briars & the other is stepping over or avoiding underbrush when they appear. Should the hunter not be able to get on target instantly & shoot very fast, Mr. Woodcock is gone! Other than that, they are easy to hit. A snipe, on the other hand, is relatively in the open as a rule but they fly like a fighter pilot on steroids in a dogfight! They are anything but slow & constantly changing direction!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:31 am 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:

I have hunted and shot woodcock on several occasions. I can assure you that in comparison, there is no similarity to how snipe fly. It would be like comparing a helicopter's flight characteristics to an F16 fighter.

IMO the only target sport that simulates the flight of snipe is Helice. Unfortunately the snipe don't get up when you call pull and you must start from a field carry position!

Woodcock are certainly fun, but are challenging due to being found usually in deep woods with all the intervening cover. Snipe don't need any assistance to be challenging, and most often are shot where there is zero intervening cover.

In addition, woodcock are a bird dog's best friend and will hold beautifully. Never seen any dogs used for snipe so it is all just jump shooting at varying ranges.

IMO, there is no direct comparison with woodcock. You should give them a try if possible and you too will see why I think they are the most underappreciated game bird.

Ok...you win...they are F16s.
The one in Iowa and a few others moved obviously had engine issues....I do believe I said snipe mimic a woodcock but differ, naturally.
What a world. :roll:

I would agree tho re cover and jump-shooting in many areas...that just makes sense.

Again fwliw, some of the easiest woodcock shooting is in thick cover....tired birds make it so.
Woodcock challenge mostly by the silent lift, on the days when they decide to, or can, juke and jive and when in pines. Woodcock on hillside coverts, in more open grassy areas or hilltops in the central appalachians.... happen as the birds are where you find them....wet areas are far from their only preferred cover when migrating.
Actually, I'm glad to not know the special preferred coverts as surprise is a part of why many birdhunt.
Challenging targets can be down the list of why to go.....such an appeal is best left on the aforementioned clays courses, imho.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:21 am 
Tournament Grade

They are certainly one of the hardest birds to hit consistently because they have no rhyme or reason to their choice in how or when they will flush. Most birds have a delay in the time that they flush, get up and start moving into full flight, the Snipe is like a rocket ship, it's almost at full speed the moment it leaps from the ground. They tend to fly erratically similar to a Killdeer once in the air. We usually do a Snipe hunt or two towards the end of waterfowl season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tex68W,

Ranking the difficult game birds for gunning, #1 Ruffed Grouse, #2 Mearns Quail #3 Wilson Snipe. I agree 100% shooting Wilson Snipe is not like shooting Woodcock, the birds may look similar dead on the tail gate, however that is were the similarity ends. Very challenging gunning especially around the water holes, they can fool ya real easy, with their initial speed off the ground and up and down flight patterns, as they roll out of gun pattern. If you are a good Grouse gunner you have a decent chance of being a good Wilson Snipe gunner. If you are not a good Grouse gunner, more than likely you will not be a good Snipe gunner.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
Multiflora said: Fwliw, woodcock can be testing targets but also amongst the most easy of game bird targets...how snipe differ, I do not know, but suspect they differ little in other than in the minds of the admirers and...as luck falls for the bird.

Agree. The few woodcock I`ve shot were incidental on quail hunts. I`ve never hunted snipe, but have jumped them during Christmas bird counts in the Mobile Bay delta area. The F-16 vs. the helicopter analogy is right on target!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:47 pm 
Limited Edition

inquiring minds...

• Diversity of snipes (eight species in one genus) is as more than three times as of woodcocks (25 species in three genera).
they include woodcock, snipe and sand pipers

• Endemism to their native habitats is higher in woodcocks compared to snipes.

• Woodcocks have larger bodies compared to snipes.

• Woodcocks can manipulate their upper bill to find their food in the soil, while snipes can incredibly sense the invertebrates in mud from their supersensitive bill.

• Woodcocks have 3600 panoramic view, but snipes do not.

• Woodcocks inhabit mostly woodlands, whereas snipes inhabit muddy areas or wetlands more often.

besides the eye and bill differences, i can't help but wonder if the woodcocks inverted brain and nighttime navigation abilities are shared by the snipe or just sand pipers?
or are the differences migratory driven?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Check out sniperhunter.com. Skip Hutchinson has been writing here on snipe hunting for several years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How is Mr. Snipe on the table?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

lossking,

Comparing the Wilson Snipe and Woodcock as table fare, I would say if you have eaten Woodcock and liked the taste the Snipe is pretty much the same, maybe a little less strong tasting. However neither the Woodcock or the Snipe are any where near as good eating as a Grouse or even a Quail. People who like eating Woodcock usually like eating Wilson Snipe also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:44 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
How is Mr. Snipe on the table?

The cooking method is what determines the taste of woodcock....may be the same for snipe.
Be interesting to hear opinions from those who actually know.

Woodcock does not necessarily carry a strong taste when cooked...be that liver-ish or other.
This liver hit is one of the greatest of message boards misrepresentations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've never bagged one, but always wanted to. They are like sora and rails to me. By the time I i.d. one on the wing, the window to shoot is over.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've shot and eaten a few woodcock and didn't particularly care for them. On the other hand, I really like quail, chuckar and pheasant, and also enjoy ducks and geese. I know how to cook them, but don't know a good way to prepare the timberdoodle though. Ditto for snipe.