PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Looking for ideas for old Ithaca 37 2 3/4 chamber 30 " full choke thanks Dj

Post subject: Re: Best Turkey for old Ithaca 37
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

djwitt wrote:
Looking for ideas for old Ithaca 37 2 3/4 chamber 30 " full choke thanks Dj

So you are looking for? The best Turkey loads to shoot in your gun?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:44 am 
Utility Grade

Yes, I'd tried Remington express 4shot and it has good pattern to about 30 yards .Right now all I can find is steel shot at my local stores.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:43 am 
Presentation Grade

djwitt wrote:
Yes, I'd tried Remington express 4shot and it has good pattern to about 30 yards .Right now all I can find is steel shot at my local stores.

Ammo supply can be a problem right now. The best turkey loads you can buy are TSS. I do not know how TSS, Federal Heavyweight, or other heavier than lead shot works with a fixed choke. I have no experience hunting with TSS, but ballistically it is the best turkey shot available.

I know Roger's Sporting goods did have 12 ga 2 3/4" Federal Heavyweights available online. They were probably the best factory turkey loads available before TSS, and are still a great load.

In the world of lead shot Winchester Longbeard XR patterns very good and is available in 2 3/4" 12 ga. You may be able to find it online.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks noweil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

djwitt wrote:
Thanks noweil

You are Welcome. Good luck turkey hunting.

Federal Premium Mag-Shok Heavyweight Turkey Shotshells, 12GA 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz 1300FPS | Rogers Sporting Goods
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/fed ... -4-1-1-4oz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
They were probably the best factory turkey loads available before TSS.

I know I am late to this thread but I have to second this comment on TSS. I used TSS for the first time today and I actually blew the head off my turkey. Not exaggerating at all and the #9 really works.

I would post a picture but don't want to do anything inappropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dead is dead, of course, but I'm just not interested in blowing a turkey's head off or killing one at 70 yards with TSS. I'm not implying that you would shoot at such extreme range, Speck, but there are those who do it and think that they are great turkey hunters. I get 182 in 10" at 40 with 12.0 g/cc #6 and that is good enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:25 am 
Presentation Grade

lossking wrote:
Dead is dead, of course, but I'm just not interested in blowing a turkey's head off or killing one at 70 yards with TSS. I'm not implying that you would shoot at such extreme range, Speck, but there are those who do it and think that they are great turkey hunters. I get 182 in 10" at 40 with 12.0 g/cc #6 and that is good enough for me.

The reason this happened was he was 15-20 yards away. I actually was wishing before I pulled the trigger I could drop in a different load but didn't want to scare it away. My typical shot is less than 30 yards as I am too blind to shoot much beyond that range.

I just wanted to see what the hoopla was on TSS so told my kids to get me some for Christmas. They did and at $15 a shot, I probably won't buy any more.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:34 am 
Crown Grade

When I was younger, I only had 2 shotguns. A 16 gauge Stevens pump. and a 12 gauge Model 37 pump. This was back in the mid 60's and early 70's. Both had, and still do have, fixed Modified chokes. Both are 2 3/4" only guns.

I killed turkeys with both guns using 1 1/4 oz loads of lead #6 shot in both guns. However, I would say all of the shots were within 35 yards and most were closer. I wouldn't have tried a shot much longer than that. I think the ammo companies are touting the 60 - 70 yard shots with 3 1/2" shells and these $15 a pop TSS loads. None of this is necessary. You need to get the turkey into a distance where it is a clean, ethical shot, and most of the regular lead turkey shells they sell today will do just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

I really like the fiocchi 5's

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:59 pm 
Field Grade

Halwg wrote:
None of this is necessary. You need to get the turkey into a distance where it is a clean, ethical shot, and most of the regular lead turkey shells they sell today will do just fine.

That's absolutely true especially with a fixed full choke. I personally like Winchester XR long beard #5 or #6. It's just ridiculously hard to find right now. The TSS #7,8, or 9 is lights out for sure, I use it in my 20 gauges. I'm not sure if I would use TSS in an older fixed full choke, would have to research that a bit more on your model shotgun. TSS is pretty dense/hard stuff compared to lead and bismuth.