ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trigger work on a bird gun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:52 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any trigger work done on a bird gun and if so what pull weight do you prefer?

Post subject: Re: trigger work on a bird gun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:06 am 
Crown Grade

Yes but years ago...Ken Eyster.

Pull weight?...less than the weight of the gun and, importantly, icicle-y.

Post subject: Re: trigger work on a bird gun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Riley,

I used Rich Painter or Freddie Brunner for any trigger work I needed done, which was very very seldom on an L.C. Smith Shotgun, mostly when the gun was damaged in a fall or some other accident. Freddie did a great job fixing a severely damaged stock and Hunter one trigger combination, on one of my 20 gauge L.C. Smith field grade guns, that the original owner fell with.

Like my DT triggers to pull about 3.5 Lbs in the front trigger 3.8-4.0 in rear trigger., I like the Hunter 1 Selective trigger to have a trigger pull right around 3.5. L.C. Smith guns came with quality triggers and correct trigger pull, that seldom if ever needed adjusting. My Best German J.P. Sauer guns are very similar.

One of the problems with the modern Turkish made guns is having to have the trigger reworked for a decent trigger pull, the origination quality is not being built into many of their guns. I was lucky with both my Silver Reserve II, 28/20 combo gun and my 28 gauge 555 Savage/Stevens, both have trigger pulls right around 4 Lbs and they due do not double.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

On a quality Classic American double gun, unless the gun is damaged in some way, a sportsman should really never have to have work done on the original trigger pull.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor