ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quail hunting and snakes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I enjoy quail and small game hunting but lately it has been too hot. It has been 76 degrees here and snakes are moving. Quail brush is breeding grounds for snakes and they are out this week. I am going to hang up my Franchi 48 until next year. It was 74 when I came in a while ago. Normally around this time of year, it is in the 50s, maybe even upper 40s. Forecast for tomorrow is 74. Though it almost never gets cold enough to snow, I would welcome a dusting of the white stuff.

It is too dangerous for the dogs. Already had a neighbor that had a dog bitten this past week. Quail are few and far apart but I love to see the dogs working. They are a beautiful to watch. Time to put them up until next year. I don't own any dogs but my neighbors do and they are well trained pointers.

Maybe nest year.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing.

Motivation determines what you do.

Attitude determines how well you do it.

Post subject: Re: Quail hunting and snakes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Wow, pretty warm! Here in N. Florida bobwhite quail plantation country, night time temps are in the 30s and 40s and day time temps are barely breaking 70 now and again.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

On my boat dock, it was 76 yesterday and 74 today. Not at all like February. Forecast for the next week is pertnear the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 am 
Crown Grade

Snakes can be a problem. Usually because the dog messes with them. I had a female beagle rabbit dog that was bitten on 3 occasions. I didn't see the snakes but I suspect copperheads. She survived all. I have seen deer hounds get bit & none died. The Eastern Diamond back is the biggest & has the most venom but is the least aggressive. People that hunt out West in sidewinder territory seem to be at the greatest risk. Much smaller than a diamondback but also much more aggressive! Snakes are not your dogs friend but far from their worst enemy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 pm 
Utility Grade

In our area there are snake avoidance clinics you can run your dog through. I think it involves defanged rattlers and shock collars.
Worth it to protect a valuable dog,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

A good pair of snake proof boots, IMO, is a good investment. Wear them all the time when in the woods here in Georgia, especially during Spring turkey. To my knowledge, though, they don`t make them for our dogs!

Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:15 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't know any Gun Dog Guy that likes snakes.
I am with you guys, I hunt when it is cold. I don't want to lose a dog to a rattlesnake bite. They usually survive copperheads, just have some Benadryl on hand.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
A good pair of snake proof boots, IMO, is a good investment. Wear them all the time when in the woods here in Georgia, especially during Spring turkey. To my knowledge, though, they don`t make them for our dogs!

Quail Forever has had "snake break" classes for dogs and their owners here in Plantation country. They claim 10 minutes or so is all they need using live snakes.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Snake avoidance classes sounds like a real good idea for dogs. Particularly in areas of high population. There is an island in coastal Georgia that is filthy infested with rattlers. I wouldn't take my doges there at any time. You can also get your dogs inoculated. No guarantees but at least he would have a chance if bitten by a rattler. We also have the "Cane Break" or "Timber Rattler". I have surveyed land in snake country since the 70's & hunted in snake country since the 50's without snake boots but I would not set foot on that island, even in the dead of Winter, without snake boots. I have also hunted in cobra habitat. Cobras are far more deadly than rattle snakes. Fact is our poisonous snakes are kitten cats compared to some other places. I have also had my rabbit dogs running around & over sunning alligators. They were sluggish & inactive due to the cold but will come out to sun on bright days. You don't want your dog anywhere near that place in warm weather!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Though most of my working years were in the middle of the state, I kept my place on the coast to spend my off time. Between my work place and the coast is the Green Swamp and the Waccamaw River lowlands. There is one community at the headwaters of the Waccamaw River named Snake Island. Aptly named, to be sure. My point is that I have hunted these areas all of my adult life and have never been bitten by a snake. Seen plenty of them, seen a lot of dogs after they were bitten, but never known one to die from a snake bite but they do get awful sick and sometimes need a vet to give them those expensive anti-venom shots. Most recover without treatment within a few days and live to do it all over again.

No, I don't wear snake proof boots or leggings. I have never even had a snake to strike at me. They usually will depart when they can. I am told that snakes are as afraid of me as I am of them. I doubt that. I don't tempt them and give them all the room they need. The only snake around here that is really aggressive in the cotton mouth moccasin. I avoid their territory, close to brushy areas near running water.

Maybe we guys in the swampy areas are lucky as I have heard of only one snake bite and it occurred at a tobacco barn where there was no undergrowth, just a cleared area under the shelter. Man reached down to pick up a stick to toss away from the shelter. Wasn't a stick. It was close to full dark and he couldn't tell that the stick was a copperhead. He went to the ER and got treated and all is well.

Dogs are a different story, They are looking for game in the brush where snakes are usually found.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Snakes are the main reason I never got into Spring turkey hunting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We got plenty snakes down here, mostly water moccasins and copperheads, but a few rattlers and coral snakes. I grew up playing in the woods and learned a long time ago to always watch where I put my feet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Dogs don't seem to be as affected by poisonous snake bites as humans.

My mother had a little mutt dog that got bit on the face by a rattlesnake. It's head swelled up but that was all and in a few days, it was OK.

But I'm thankful our bird season usually starts after the first frost and ends in January.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

It was a bad snake year here. My vet told me they had treated several dogs and some didn’t make it.

In the past I know personally of dogs that did die from snake bite. Then there are others that lived through it. A close friend had a big lab that was bit out on the river and it died.

My dentist lives in a place with lots of rattlesnakes. His bird dogs are always getting bit. So far I don't think any have died. He told me he gives them Benadryl.

I have been around snakes all my life and it is just second nature to watch for them, but I don’t like to hunt my dog in warm weather or let her run in cover in warm weather.

She gets rattlesnake shots every year. I guess they work since she hasn’t been bit yet. :D I carry Benadryl and I did some aversion training on my dog when she was young. I found a snake and when she approached it I lit her up. After that I couldn't drag her closer to the snake. I think it might have worked. A few summers ago I was out at a lake with the dog. After I loaded the boat we were walking around and I noticed a big rattlesnake laying out in the open near the water. The dog blinked. I know she seen that snake. I walked within 5 feet of it and the dog acted like it wasn’t there. Good dog.