ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to squirrel hunting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:33 pm 
Field Grade

I'd like to start shot-gunning for squirrels could some one point me in the right direction as to gauge and shot size, that way there is still meat left for eatin and skin for hangin.
Thanks,
Andrew

Post subject: re: New to squirrel hunting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:20 pm 
Crown Grade

I'd get a Remington 870 Wingmaster, load it with a "Express" load of #5's and head out.

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:36 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll never loose faith in other hunters we look out for each other, I accually own a wing master soon as season opens in my area ill be all over them.
Thanks again
Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:54 am 
Presentation Grade

Pretty much any gauge of shotgun will do the biz (although I've never got on with a 410 for squirrels)

Shot size #6 or #7 will kill them cleanly at all normal ranges without smashing them up. They are tough little buggers and I find that more choke is better than less choke.

good hunting

Leeboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use a Savage 24 in .22/20 gauge. Saves a lot of cripples. How many times have you shot a squirrel out of the tree and he crawls away from you? Pop him with the .22 barrel. If he is in the tree and sitting still, the .22 is all you need. If he is moving, use the shot barrel with #6 shot.

I hate to beat a cripple to death with the butt of my gun. That is why I like the Savage 24. Best of two worlds. Great for dog hunting of squirrels.

If I am pulling vines, I take my Franchi 48 in 20 gauge, It has a Polychoke on it. Open it up for close shots and tighten it up if he is in the tall timber.

The two most common elements in the
universe are hydrogen and stupidity.”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:21 am 
Field Grade

I've hit more squirrles with a little 410 than any others. You want to use 5 or 6's and a moderate choke. Be careful of the turn back, I mean you lead a tree monster and then he spins, happens to me every asjdflkajsfkl time!!!

Post subject: Re: New to squirrel hunting
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:33 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

andrewkitney wrote:
I'd like to start shot-gunning for squirrels could some one point me in the right direction as to gauge and shot size, that way there is still meat left for eatin and skin for hangin.
Thanks,
Andrew

Great advice given thus far. I use a load of 1 1/4 oz of 6, in heavy woods or dense foliage on trees. I lighten up to 1 or 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 later in season, when they're easier to see. 12 ga A5 with a polychoke. Occasionally, I'll take my Gold. Good medicine either way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:01 am 
Field Grade

Thompson Center Classic .22 with 3 x 9 scope using stingers. You can stand in one place late in the season after the leafs are off and pick them off from surrounding trees.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:25 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks guys for all the responses .your opinions are helping me become a better and more efficient hunter. I look forward to having you guys answer any other questions i may have in the future.
Thanks again,
Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

No worries mate fire away. You will find pretty much everything you want to know here. there is a lot of very experienced shooters on this forum who will be more than happy to help you out as best they can. I've learned loads here.

good shooting

Leeboy

Post subject: Re: re: New to squirrel hunting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Leeboy wrote:
Pretty much any gauge of shotgun will do the biz (although I've never got on with a 410 for squirrels)

Shot size #6 or #7 will kill them cleanly at all normal ranges without smashing them up. They are tough little buggers and I find that more choke is better than less choke.

good hunting

Leeboy
I agree here with Leeboy, I've also used 4 & 5 shot a few times but 6 & 7.5 shot does work the best in my opinion in a 12, 16 or 20 gauges. I can't comment on squirrel hunting with a 28ga because I've never have. I believe the 410 is on the to small side although will admit that many do disagree with my assessment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I carry full choke guns for squirrels. In 12ga I shoot 1 1/4oz of #5. In 16ga I use 1 1/8oz #5 or #6. In 20ga I use 1oz of #6. Most of our shots are further away, so the larger shot size and full choke pattern works well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:36 pm 
Utility Grade

All good advice, but one last thing... Keep a high brass handy if you see one high up it's got a little more reach. Generally you can wait them out, but if you're on the move and spot one, they may not come down without some powerful lead persuasion. :lol: B/T/W - The back legs on these cooked on the grill with some of your favorite wing sauce are great eating.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SEV wrote:
The back legs on these cooked on the grill with some of your favorite wing sauce are great eating.

I'm hear to tell everyone SEV grills the best squirrel I've ever personally had...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

When me and my dad go out, he takes the .22 and I take out the shotgun. I think a 16 or 20 is best for squaks, a 12 seems to be a little bit of an overkill. I keep a modified choke, you can really reach out and touch them with it. I've tried the improved, and I've missed some that I knew I could have hit with the mod.

Squirrells are great to eat, I love them fried up in the mornings with a little gravy and a biscuit...mmmmm....now that's good eatin' :wink:

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:07 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

mtthwvngold20 wrote:
When me and my dad go out, he takes the .22 and I take out the shotgun. I think a 16 or 20 is best for squaks, a 12 seems to be a little bit of an overkill. I keep a modified choke, you can really reach out and touch them with it. I've tried the improved, and I've missed some that I knew I could have hit with the mod.

Squirrells are great to eat, I love them fried up in the mornings with a little gravy and a biscuit...mmmmm....now that's good eatin' :wink:

Matt

A 12 can be overkill, depending on the area, actually, not the 12 uitself, but the load. I reload, and if I wanted to, I can make the 12 ga shoot like a 28, with a 3/4 oz load. THat'll kill squirrels too, unless you've got some longer shot and heavy foliage, where then the heaveier payloads shine. I don't advocate taking shots to wound a squirrel, you all know the shots I speak of, where the leaves can soak up some of the pattern.

Now the squill and buiscuits and gravy, mmm hmmm!

TAB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 pm 
Utility Grade

When using a shotgun, I've primarily used a .410 full choked bolt gun. I keep shots as much under 30 yards as possible and use #4 shot. It's more like using a rifle and I use it in shotgun-only areas. I prefer a scoped rifle. The .410 works and doesn't damage much meat. I prefer to look for "peekers", too. Curiosity kills the squirrel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

i used #6 shot and mod choke last year. 12 gauge...1oz load.

i'd suggest #6 or #5 shot size. my buddy was using #7.5 and good thing the only shot he got was sub 20 yards b/c when cleaning the squirrel #6's sometimes did not penetrate much at all. some it was as if the squirrel died of massive shock? b/c no pellets penetrated anything vital, yet it died right there. other times...cripples. unfortunatly i did not get to pattern either the #5's i was using or the #6's...but every time i took a shot w/ the 6's the squirrel was hit and fell, either dead or cripple. whereas w/ the #5's seems as if it was a clean miss. i think my gun just dosent like the 5's i was using. which is funny being that they are the express long range aka $12 a box, where the 6's i used were $4 a box and seemed to work much much better!

obviously this isnt to say that 6's kill better than 5's. since thats just impossible given the same pattern. however what i'm saying is if at all possible patterning the shotgun is underrated...its like deer hunting w/ sighting in the rifle first! if i patterned my load i would have seen either the POI was off w/ the 5's or the pattern was just really bad. its annoying to only find out when there is game down range to be shot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:46 am 
Utility Grade

I shoot squirrel for pest control rather than meat, so red vapor is ok. I do remember enjoying the pan fried squirrel my grandmother made. My Grandfather and I would go out, him with a 12G and me with a 22 with shorts or CB caps (my choice I had my 20G back then, didn't seem fair), he would usually get enough for supper, I got none, but the fun was being out hunting with my grandfather, and have him kid me on my choice of guns.

Anyway flash back to present I have been using my Mossberg 185K-A 20G for pest control. I have tried several shot sizes and seem to have a better kill rate with 8s or 9s, not sure why, bad shot I guess. I recently picked up a Mossberg Maverick 88 12G at a garage sale and intend to start using that for squirrel. I have picked up a few assorted boxes of 7.5, 8, 9s to try. Not sure what the increase in fire power will do to my choice of shot size. So far all I have shot up is some old ply wood to see what the pattern looked like.

Jim...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

I like a 20 gauge with #6 shot. I use light loads and it really works. I sometimes use 7 1/2s when I have some left over from dove season. Both work fine.

BTW, I use improved cylinder, though I have a Polychoke. I dial it in for whatever choke I want. IC kills much further than some folks think.

We don't need more laws; we need more common sense!