ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: New to squirrel hunting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

i almost always use my mavrick 88 12 gauge for squirrel with mod choke . i always use loads that i have patternd my gun seems to like the remington game loads 2 3/4 #6 game loads . i have used some reloads from a friend also but for some reson i prefer the remys , i just shoot better with them .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
almost always use my mavrick 88 12 gauge for squirrel with mod choke . i always use loads that i have patternd my gun seems to like the remington game loads 2 3/4 #6 game loads . i have used some reloads from a friend also but for some reson i prefer the remys , i just shoot better with them .

maverik, these are the #6 shot that i was using w/ great sucess. the 1oz remington game loads, black hull silver base. like $4 a box of 25 here. everytime someone mentions them, they seem to be infavor of them. i like them a lot, and shoot its twin at the range at clays, their all purpose load which is the same payload (1oz) same fps , but w/ #8 shot. same hull and base. so i think it might also be i'm very used to how that speed/type shell shoots? i dunno, b/c w/ those express long range $$$ ammo, even when i aimed right at a still squirrel i didnt get it, where as the remington game loads dropped them np.

why mess w/ a good thing? first load to try in my soon to be new gun...H&R 12 gauge single shot, is going to be those game loads. whats better is they are cheap to boot!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:18 pm 
Field Grade

yep the best ammo i can find for the way i shoot , and only $4 or $5 a box.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:02 pm 
Utility Grade

i dont think u wanna use a shotgun if your planning on eating them, i never do what u want is a good 22 with a nice scope and nothin but headshots if ur planning on eating them

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Uh oh! Troll alert!

Post subject: Re: New to squirrel hunting
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:38 pm 
Field Grade

I have used a 12 gauge for squirrel hunting for years. It has been practically all I've ever hunted with. I generally get about 3 to 4 pellet strikes when I connect with a squirrel and they drop like rocks when hit, especially when I use trap and sporting clays loads with copper plated shot. I like 7.5 Remington Nitros and Winchester AAs. Remington's Heavy Game Load works almost as well. Every time I've ever used a good quality shell, I've never lost a squirrel using 7.5s. I've never felt a need for 6 shot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use a 1953 tube fed bolt action 410. I load my own with 28 stacked bb Nickle plated shot. Gun patterns well to 30 yards. The gun is full choke (minus 65 years of wear). It just pleases me. 7 shot tube, light weight, and very quick handling.

I guess I am under gunned, but, I am 70 and walking around the fields and hedge rows with my old 410 and my handloads. Doesn't get any better than that.

rch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:36 pm 
Limited Edition

If your any good with a .22 rifle then use that only . I never use a shotgun unless i'm getting rid of pest . If you plan to eat then use smallest steel you can get so you won't get lead poison , otherwise ise a .22 rifle . Head shot will stop them in their tracks .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

rhouser wrote:
I use a 1953 tube fed bolt action 410. I load my own with 28 stacked bb Nickle plated shot. Gun patterns well to 30 yards. The gun is full choke (minus 65 years of wear). It just pleases me. 7 shot tube, light weight, and very quick handling.

I guess I am under gunned, but, I am 70 and walking around the fields and hedge rows with my old 410 and my handloads. Doesn't get any better than that.

rch

I think you have the right approach !