ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: favorite squirrel caliber/load
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:25 am 
Limited Edition

It's good to see this thread is still around. Squirrel season is just 3 weeks away here and I am looking forward to it.
Still using the 17 Mach 2 and still very happy with it. Hope all of you have a good season.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:11 am 
Utility Grade

44 magnum using light loads 6 grains winchester 231 pistol powder out of a Ruger model 44 carbine. Sounds like overkill i know but kill alot,i mean alot and not one squirrel has crawled off after he was hit. Try to make head shots,the slow 44 magnum just makes a nice hole right threw them. No crawl offs and they fall out of the trees. Lead and copper bullets used. I like to use copper jackets it is easier on the gun,it is a semi-auto but it won't cycle the action so i do it manually. Lots of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just found a savage model 24 in a pawn shop. .22 lr on top 20 ga. on the bottom. I have wanted one for almost 20 years. I have found them in the past but they were all 410 on the bottom. I hate 410s, ammo is expensive and not as available and they are a huge handicap it a grouse flushes while hunting tree rats. I always liked 40 grain Winchester power points but I haven't seen them in years. I like 1oz. of #5s or 6s in the 20 ga.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

That would be a 22LR standard velocity (1080fps). Reason is they are quite no crack of sound barier is heard. CCI Green Tag and Elly EPS are my favorites.

If you use a shot gun #4 & #5 are my favorite shot sizes and a 410 is all that needed. Thats to keep the shot count down if you plan to eat them squirrels. I would think a 3/4oz load of #4 would be perfect and thats found in both the 28ga and a win 3" 410.

The Savage 22lr/410 is a great squirrel gun as would be a 870/410, and a 22 bolt action like the Ruger 77/22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

I never liked to shoot a rifle up in the air so shotgun is the way to go in my book. 1 oz of # 6 thru about any choke or gage works fine for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use my Marlin 17hmr sitting in a deer tower stand and snipe them in the head at 100 yards as they feed on some leftover deer corn. Just make sure you shoot for the head as the little boogers will blow in half with a body shot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Draco wrote:
By far my favorite squirrel gun is my Anschutz 1418 .22LR. I prefer subsonics, Aguila 38gr.

If I have to use a shotgun, I take a Browning Sweet 16 loaded with 6 or 7 1/2 shot. But I'd rather not, it makes squirrel cleaning messier and I hate biting on shot.

I've been hunting with a Savage MK 2 BTVLSS for the last month and I have tried 3 different subsonics, RWS/Aguila/and SK.

All 3 have done a good job. The RWS seems to shoot the best groups off the bench but the other 2 are very accurate also.

I love my Mach 2 but it's always fun to hunt/shoot with different guns. The thing I really like about the subsonics (other than the accuracy) is how quiet they are in the woods. If the squirrels are really cutting good sometimes I can get 3 or 4 out of a tree before the others take off.

I was able to find a brick of the Aguila 38gr super extra subsonics for $30.00 and that is what I have been using the most. I will probably keep some of these around all the time from now on.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:27 am 
Limited Edition

410 = 3" #6
22LR = Stingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

CZ 455 in .22 LR and any ammo that shoots accurately. (Sidewinders, Rem Golden Bullet HP is good enough for squirrels. In my experience, most every ammo shoots good enough to hit a squirrel. Now when you want to split a bullet on an ax head... now you need something special for that. For me though, it was just a Wal-Mart Winchester bulk bullet. They shot reallly good in the CZ.

And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every fowl of the air...Into your hand are they delivered. Genesis 9:2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

I went squirrel hunting years ago when I lived in Colorado. Took a 22 mag. I think back on that and it wasn't such a great idea. The bullet is going to pass through and keep on going unless you can get the tree as a backstop. Considered trying it again with my Win Mod 62 pump action 22 and 22 shorts, got ten box's of them. But thought about it again and again, the bullet will shoot through and if it doesn't hit a branch or the trunk, it's going on it's merry way somewhere. Finally convinced myself that my 28ga would be the thing and I think now it would do well. Then started using my 410 working my dogs and think that's the way I'd go on squirrels. To bad there none around here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Don Fischer wrote:
I went squirrel hunting years ago when I lived in Colorado. Took a 22 mag. I think back on that and it wasn't such a great idea. The bullet is going to pass through and keep on going unless you can get the tree as a backstop. Considered trying it again with my Win Mod 62 pump action 22 and 22 shorts, got ten box's of them. But thought about it again and again, the bullet will shoot through and if it doesn't hit a branch or the trunk, it's going on it's merry way somewhere. Finally convinced myself that my 28ga would be the thing and I think now it would do well. Then started using my 410 working my dogs and think that's the way I'd go on squirrels. To bad there none around here!

I agree. Using a rifle really limits your opportunities IF you are being safe about it. The only shots I will take with a rifle are ones where the squirrel is on the trunk of a tree big enough I know I won't miss the tree or when the squirrel is on the ground on the side of a hill where the bullet will have a backstop. Other than that, no shot with a rifle. I prefer having the ability to take shots when the squirrels are actively feeding on the ends of the branches instead of having to wait until they move somewhere with a backstop. No worries taking those shots with a shotgun as the pellets only travel 300 - 400 yards instead of 1 1/2 miles or more like a rifle. Unfortunately, I have talked to some guys who hunt squirrels with a .22 that shoot them out on the ends of the branches without a care in the world as to where that bullet lands when it comes down. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 pm 
Utility Grade

My Henry Golden Boy with 22 short's or a full choke 12 gauge with a heavy load of #4's.

Sent from my MB886 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Runt wrote:
My Henry Golden Boy with 22 short's or a full choke 12 gauge with a heavy load of #4's.

I have been fooling with shorts in a lever gun as my Marlin shoots CCI HP shorts well. I have become a believer. Inside of 30 or 40 yards, they put a hurt even on big fox and Abert's squirrels and they are not all that loud. I like them as well as the Aguila SSHP LPs.

Don't you find that 4s do too much damage? I hit one from to close and had furry squirrel-burger with 4s.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:33 am 
Tournament Grade

brewer12345 wrote:
Don't you find that 4s do too much damage? I hit one from to close and had furry squirrel-burger with 4s.

Yes, up close they do. But out beyond 30 yards, pellet count, not pellet size, chews up the ham. A squirrel hit with a heavy load of #6 shot should be more damaged than one hit by same load of #4s. Same with dove, rabbit, ect.

And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every fowl of the air...Into your hand are they delivered. Genesis 9:2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:21 pm 
Utility Grade

brewer12345 wrote:
Runt wrote:

Up close, I try to make head shot's.

One of the WMA's I hunt, the treetop's are 40 yard's or more from the trunk (ranged with range finder). Them little rat's be up there and need to reach them with through the leave's. I did have an extra full that worked wonder's. Once the leave's fall I shoot my 22 or whack a few with my bow from the deer stand.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:14 am 
Tournament Grade

4 shot actually does LESS damage on small game because of less pellets per ounce. The patterns are thinner than they are with smaller shot, so you get less strikes per square inch. Something I like about the bigger shot, they penetrate all the way through and don't leave pellets in the meat. Some time I want to try 1-1/8 of 5's on the squirrels and rabbits, I've been told they penetrate completely as well as the 4's will, with a denser pattern. Out at 45-50 yards, 1-1/8 of 4's has some pretty big patches in the pattern even with an extra full choke. I don't want to shoot 1-1/4 loads in my lightweight double, could split the stock head from the recoil. So far this season the Winchester loads with 1-1/8 of 4's has performed MUCH better on squirrels than the Federal Game Shoks with 1 ounce of 6's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am 
Utility Grade

Filnez, I agree that the #4's do less damage, they carry a little extra punch for the way up shot's.

The Winchester #5's do pretty good also. I'm going to try the Winchester pheasant load 1⅜ ounce of #4's after duck season goes out. My favorite load is Remington Express Extended Range #4's, I used to shoot 2¾ Nitro Mag's. They worked wonder's.

The only time I had luck with #6's is on low close one's. They just don't carry the extra punch to get up there in tree top's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:03 am 
Tournament Grade

If I'm hunting in an area just for squirrels, I usually use a .22 and like subsonic hollowpoints. If I get to go to an area where the terrain varies a lot and there might be chances at rabbits and birds also, shotgun is a better choice.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:20 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm still using my .22 lr. CZ L.H. bolt gun. I like it when the leaves are off the trees & it is a squirrels only hunt. Hard to hit flying game with a .22 if they are on the menu. I find low velocity .22 lr. ammo. to be very accurate in my CZ & they shoot plenty flat at ranges I shoot bushy tails. The low noise is also a big plus & they don't blow squirrel all over the woods. I use 7/8 oz. no. 6's in my 20 ga. when I use a shotgun. 6's will put more pellets than desired in a squirrel at close range but 4's lack pattern density with 7/8 oz. 20 ga. loads at greater distances. 5's in heavier loads may be justified at longer ranges like in tall timber or for bigger fox squirrels. I usually aim so that I catch a squirrel near the head with the edge of my pattern when I get a real close shot. A direct hit at 20 feet means squirrel burger.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Haven't shot squirrel in a long time,but when i did i used both shotgun and rifle.Shot gun was 12g s/s choked 1/2 & full using No7 shot,rifle was winchester.22 lr semi auto with scope & silencer or as their called now sound moderators using cci subsonic hollow point,and didn't have any problems.I always say small game equals small shot,at least then you'll have something to eat.

Charlton Heston

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next