ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: favorite squirrel caliber/load
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

There are advantages and disadvantages for each type of firearm to consider when choosing shotgun versus rifle for a hunt. Many factors come into play. Time of year, location, terrain, game available, housing proximity, noise, reach, local regulations, even how you feel. If I am able to walk more and go into thicker cover where I'm likely to flush out a variety of animals, I would prefer a shotgun, but very often I'm physically unable to go far and will be hunting only squirrels, in which case I'd rather pick a comfortable spot to sit with my .22 rifle and a good pair of binoculars. Even selection of your hunting clothing will depend on several factors, you might need briarproofs and orange in one place but thin cool camouflage in the next. You just have to make an estimate to what you think will work best in any particular situation and go with it. Sometimes I've been wrong in my picks for the day and wished that I had brought a different gun or worn different gear. I've tried a lot of different gear and hunting types over the years and the only thing I regret is not having the money to try more.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Filnez,
+1 on your recent post. I also like your choice of .22 ammo. I doubt that many of us are clairvoyant or rely on a crystal ball. All we can do is make decisions based on what we know & logical considerations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I like my 16gauges with 1oz of 5s or Henry lever with CCI .22 short HP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:57 pm 
Field Grade

Hi new here. I use a 410 95% of the time . I live in the middle of the ozarks. I hunt the sylamore national forest alot. I used a Steven single shot and mossberg bolt action 410. I order a new camo mossberg 500 410 Turkey gun. 26 inch screw in choke . It comes with a TSS xx full turkey choke. I bought it just for squirrel hunting. Have too buy a full and modified chokes for it. When the hulls get back in stock I will reload for it. I am going to use the magnum chilled shot in 5 or 6's. I always use 3 inch on squirrels. Plus I can load them the way I want them. I hunt where tress's r tall. I use a squirrel calls slot. I have some custom and factory calls . Do they work all the time no they dont. Alot of times squirrel will get made run down looking for other squirrel and get it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The only squirrel call I've ever had any luck with is the whistle type young squirrel distress call. It doesn't work all the time but when it does, look out!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:29 pm 
Field Grade

You are talking about haydel's call. Yes they will but watch out bobcat's like that sound too. 2 of the custom made calls I like are MK squirrel calls. Any of them dont work all the time. But its fun to see a squirrel get mad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yessir, they do get riled up at times. I've enjoyed squirrel hunting for over 50 years, and am hoping for good weather for our opener next weekend. Will likely take my new 20ga Super X3.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:13 am 
Limited Edition

As a kid, I always squirrel hunted with a single shot 20 gauge, with #6 shot. My uncle insisted that all hunters should start out with single shots until they learned the cost of ammunition. It made us kids be more carefu lwith our shots. After hitting the ripe old age of 16, we could switch to either a pump shotgun, or a bolt action .22 cal. rifle. Always used the bulk pack .22 ammo. Never had any trouble using it. But, we were taught to sneak, or stalk those tree rats and not to take shots more than 30 yards. We never wasted ammo, but sure had lots of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Now that our season has finally opened, I'll be using a CZ 452 with 16" barrel and suppressor. Lapua Center X subsonic ammo is extremely accurate and quiet with the suppressor. A missed shot often doesn't spook the squirrel or other squirrels in the same tree or area. A Rem 581 from the early '70s that wore a Weaver V22 3-6x 7/8" scope for years is amazing accurate with Lapua or Eley ammo and a modern scope.
Treat your favorite old 22 to some premium ammo and you may be pleasantly surprised!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

Beancounter wrote:
I never liked to shoot a rifle up in the air so shotgun is the way to go in my book. 1 oz of # 6 thru about any choke or gage works fine for me.

Yup... there are plenty of places where it's not safe to shoot a .22LR in the air. Probably most places. But I still prefer the .22LR.

If you're patient, most squirrels will eventually give you a chance at a safe-backstopped shot. You should be familiar with the surrounding area, place yourself for shooting in the safest direction, and always be sure to make sure there's good wood behind your target.

My favorite way to hunt squirrels is with a T/C Contender with a 10" .22LR match chamber barrel and a scope. CCI Standard Velocity is very accurate in that rig (and my other .22LRs) and has reduced range as well. I sit down with a nice seat cushion in a patch of oaks, with camo on (usually with a headnet, too), wait for them to get back to work, and start picking them off. My other choice would be my scoped CZ 455 Full Stock rifle.

Mini big game hunting that way... :)