ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 410 Single Shot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:33 pm 
Field Grade

I took up small game hunting this year (I went out on the last weekend before the season closed, saw 1 squirrel, but didn't have a chance to shoot him... but i started this year!). Since my "hunting" experienced consists mostly of walking around carrying a gun, I'm thinking I'd like to get a lightweight single-shot .410 for next year :).

I'm currently leaning towards the little yildiz from Academy sports, but I was hoping y'all could chime in with any info on how it compares with the other inexpensive choices, such as the H&R/NEF offering (not the snake charmer though, I don't like that). I like wood, and am not interested in synthetic stocks.

This would be primarily a squirrel and bunny gun, though i wouldn't be averse to practicing on some clays while waiting for the season to come 'round again.

Yes, I realize a 12ga or 20ga is far more flexible, and you can load either down, but I'm really not interested in either. A 28 maybe, but 410 is where i'm leaning at the moment.

thanks in advance for any advice/ideas/opinions,
GB

Post subject: Re: 410 Single Shot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:51 pm 
Crown Grade

If you're leaning toward the .410 and want to keep it inexpensive, take a look at the Mossberg Model 500 .410 at Wal*Mart. I think they usually sell for less than $300 and sure beat any single shot for hunting.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Life Member
ATA Member
USPSA Member (TY-12055)
NSCA Member

Dave Brown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

D Brown wrote:
If you're leaning toward the .410 and want to keep it inexpensive, take a look at the Mossberg Model 500 .410 at Wal*Mart. I think they usually sell for less than $300 and sure beat any single shot for hunting.

I think this is good advice. I used to have a NEF single shot .410. I used it the same way that you are describing. I don't know how many times a squirrrel was only wounded and required a second shot or a rabbit was missed while running in the open and I wished I had at least one more shot on hand. My buddy had a Mossberg pump .410 and used the second and third shot often and effectively. You are already handicapped with the smaller pattern of a .410 so only having one shot compounds that handicap even further. If I ever get another .410 it will either be the Mossberg pump or maybe a Yildiz O/U or SxS. Something with more than one shot!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have only been hunting squirrels for 50 plus years but in my estimation the .410 is the perfect gun for squirrels. I personally have tried just about every size of shot but now hunt exclusively with #6. What they are saying is correct. A single shot .410 is okay and will kill squirrels all day long. I personally hunt with a pump. Look around at area pawn shops or gun shops...you might run across a bolt action .410 which would probably be about as cheap as a single shot. Might even put an ad in the local paper or shopper saying you'd like to buy one for a fair price. For some great squirrel hunting tips and recipes, check out Squirrel Tales Unlimited on Facebook.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

+1 on the mossy 410 pump. Cheap, reliable, effective, & follow up shots are common with 410, especially when walk /jump shooting rabbits.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:47 am 
Presentation Grade

Daniel Crowley wrote:
+1 on the mossy 410 pump. Cheap, reliable, effective, & follow up shots are common with 410, especially when walk /jump shooting rabbits.

+2 on that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:13 pm 
Field Grade

You can find the older Mossberg 410 Bolt-Action shot guns for around $100 to $175. I have several of them and buy them when I find one in decent shape within that price range. Great old guns that with held the times. You can find them at the gun shows if you get out to any of them. I've killed hundreds of squirrels & rabbits with 410 shotguns. You just need to know the limits of the gun and you'll do good. If you can't find anything send me a PM and I can hook you up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 pm 
Field Grade

I have an H&R single shot 410 and another one in 45/70. LOVE THEM . I have put lots (cowboy action shooter ) of rounds thru them , shot the 45/70 in Plainsman event. I use the 410 to shoot clays and it will bust clays all day. Not a very expensive gun. Check them out. If you send your receiver and stock in they will fit a different caliber onto your gun so you can have a barrel for 12 , 20 or what ever on one frame.

Later

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have used a single barrel .410 on Squirrels since I was 13, I'm now retired and still use a Cooey .410.
My preference however is for the Mossberg bolt action, 3 shots and a C-Lect choke but my GF has mine.
The Mossberg .410 pump is fun but not always as reliable as the Mossberg 500 in the larger gauges.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:27 pm 
Crown Grade

A single shot .410 in the hands of a skilled hunter has killed many a bushy tail. I had a Stevens .410 sxs as a kid & killed everything with it from doves to ring neck pheasant. A good friend of mine preferred a .410 single shot for hunting rabbits with beagles. He was always saying he could put a whole box of shells in his coat pocket. Some people like the .410 because it takes more skill & adds challenge to the sport. Knowing what I know today, I would buy a 28 ga. every time if I wanted a sub gauge gun. The 28 ga. will pattern better & kill farther with the same load every time. Before you decide, consider how much you are going to use the gun & how much a few extra dollars will mean to you in terms of utility & suitability. I am going to buy something myself soon. I haven't decided what but it will be a SXS with double triggers. A 20 OR 16 ga. with an English stock appeals to me. One of them would give me more service but I have always wanted a 28 ga. Decisions, decisions, maybe one day I will own both. I have three 20 ga. guns now but two of them need to make a trip to the gunsmith's shop.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Irish Setter wrote:
I have only been hunting squirrels for 50 plus years but in my estimation the .410 is the perfect gun for squirrels. I personally have tried just about every size of shot but now hunt exclusively with #6. What they are saying is correct. A single shot .410 is okay and will kill squirrels all day long. I personally hunt with a pump. Look around at area pawn shops or gun shops...you might run across a bolt action .410 which would probably be about as cheap as a single shot. Might even put an ad in the local paper or shopper saying you'd like to buy one for a fair price. For some great squirrel hunting tips and recipes, check out Squirrel Tales Unlimited on Facebook.

I agree with Irish Setter.
The .410 is my favorite squirrel gun as long as I limit may shots to around 25 yards.
I have .410s in singles, a double, a combo .22/.410 and a pump and a few weeks ago picked-up a 90% condition bolt action for $110.00 at a pawn shop. (I usually won't pass-up a $100.00 .410.)
Yes, ammo is more expensive so I do very little clay shooting and limit my .410 firing to hunting.
So check-out the pawn shops and go for the .410.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:58 pm 
Field Grade

Seems my wife settled the issue by buying the Yldiz while I was out of town! I'm saving pennies though and will likely be on the prowl for a used pump or double at some point. In the meanwhile it's off to the range to pattern this thing and learn to shoot left handed! (I'm right handed/left eye dominant)

-GB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Good luck with the new Yildiz!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Life Member
ATA Member
USPSA Member (TY-12055)
NSCA Member

Dave Brown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:00 am 
Presentation Grade

gbeauvin wrote:
Seems my wife settled the issue by buying the Yldiz while I was out of town! I'm saving pennies though and will likely be on the prowl for a used pump or double at some point. In the meanwhile it's off to the range to pattern this thing and learn to shoot left handed! (I'm right handed/left eye dominant)

-GB

You might want to check the pattern with various shot sizes and with 3" & 2 1/2" shells.
They can pattern differently. At 25 yards my Mossberg pump patterns a 9" paper plate better with 2-1/2" #6s than with 3" #6s.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:28 am 
Presentation Grade

Gamekeeper wrote:
I have used a single barrel .410 on Squirrels since I was 13, I'm now retired and still use a Cooey .410.
My preference however is for the Mossberg bolt action, 3 shots and a C-Lect choke but my GF has mine.
The Mossberg .410 pump is fun but not always as reliable as the Mossberg 500 in the larger gauges.

Gamekeeper,
How do you think your Cooey compares with your other single shots?

I'm a single shot fan and recently picked-up a Model 84 Cooey. Initially I think that I like it better than the other single shots that I have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:01 pm 
Field Grade

I took it to the range but I forgot my patterning paper, so we just shot some clays (missed most of the moving ones, but hit most of the stationary ones, go figure). I knew the gun was light, but I wasn't expecting a bruise from a box of 2.5" target shells. Won't be a problem hunting (shot ~5 shells off the right shoulder, no problem. Shot ~25 off the left and i have a bit of a bruise... might be a technique problem though) but it could put a damper on busting clays!

Wildwood wrote:
You might want to check the pattern with various shot sizes and with 3" & 2 1/2" shells. They can pattern differently. At 25 yards my Mossberg pump patterns a 9" paper plate better with 2-1/2" #6s than with 3" #6s.

I'll have to pick up some 3" shells and try that (So far I just have one box of 2 1/2" #6's and several boxes of 2 1/2" target shells). Right now I'm trying to track down some winchester xpert steel shells locally so I can hunt the wildlife refuge. I'll pattern those to be sure it's not crummy, but sadly I don't think there are many options in .410 steel.

-GB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:01 am 
Field Grade

I got a chance to pattern the little .410 yesterday. At ~20 yards (paced, not measured) the pattern from a 2 1/2" winchester small game load in #6 was pretty miserable. There were definately squirrel sized holes in the pattern, though i'm not sure a rabbit would have fit in any of the holes. The 3" xpert steel shell (also #6) was a little better -- I'm thinking I need to get a box of 3" lead #6's and see how it does. Both flavors had a sufficiently dense pattern at 10 yards. I didn't try the AA target shells but now I'm wishing I had. Next time!

What kind of ranges do you guys normally shoot squirrels and bunnies at with a .410 bore shotgun? I wasn't expecting to shoot beyond 20 yards or so, but I also wasn't expecting squirrel sized holes in the pattern at that range.

FWIW, Yildiz claims the choke is "mod" (2/4).

-GB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:40 am 
Presentation Grade

I have several .410s and only shoot lead but they all pattern a little differently with different loads.
2-1/2" seems to pattern the best in my guns but I still use 3" as well. 25 yards is about the maximum distance for me.
(Most of my .410s "claim" to be full choke.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

gbeauvin wrote:
What kind of ranges do you guys normally shoot squirrels and bunnies at with a .410 bore shotgun?

Max range of 25 yards for either rabbits or squirrels but I used a full choke and 3" 11/16 ounce #6 lead loads. Beyond 25 yards, cripples become a lot more frequent than clean kills, especially with squirrels. I only use 2 1/2" shells for clay shooting. I tried them for rabbit hunting a time or two but the results were not nearly as good as with 3" shells so I only use 3" shells on live game now. YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:47 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, guys. I still have time to pick up a box of 3" lead and pattern it before the season starts. I'd like something denser than steel for use at the WMA, but I don't think I feel comfortable shooting those 2.5" shells past 15 yards. I'm planning to hunt the refuge on opening weekend though, so 3" steel it is!

-GB