ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Are we a dying breed?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:49 am 
Utility Grade

I’m 38 and there doesn’t seem to be that many small game hunters around here anymore. My favorite thing to hunt has always been and will always will be squirrels. This is my son’s first year to hunt and he has done well knocking them out of the trees. I hunt everyday I can everything I can if I can put it to use, but small game will always be my favorite.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:30 pm 
Limited Edition

I used to hunt rabbits and the wife and I and the boys would hunt squirrels before they grew up and moved out and she retired and we began spending the winters in the desert instead of on the mountain. I love fried rabbit with mashed potatoes and pan drippings gravy but never acquired a taste for squirrel. I would skin and clean them, vacuum seal and freeze them and give them to an old friend of mine who was a show horse trainer from Alabama. When we had enough to fill a grocery bag I'd take it into work and keep it in the freezer. Whenever Willy came into the animal hospital I would give him the bag and he would give the biggest smile and always say the same thing, "Thank ya Mistah Joe, I's gonna have the missus make me some squirrel pie for supper!" I miss that old man and the excuse he gave me for spending a quiet Saturday morning in the woods with my .22.

Stoeger Condor 12ga 20ga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:21 pm 
Field Grade

Small game hunting is the most fun I have had without a fishing pole. Deer hunting is great, but it's not something you can expect to be successful unless you have the time to scout and find a good spot to get set up, or unless you have a good piece of land where you can put a feeder. Still gotta have time to sit around all day and wait. I don't so I will have to get out several Saturday mornings in a row late in the season when I have time, and spook at least a couple of bucks before I can actually stalk one and get a shot.

Small game hunting, I can run off to the woods after work with a shotgun or pellet rifle and realistically expect to bag something. It is a whole lot more fun for the kids, too. Kids don't want to hide and be quiet all day. Nor do they want to hike all day trying to find a deer in a draw. Small game, and especially squirrel hunting, lets a kid tromp around in the woods and learn to stalk game on his own, but still gives him a chance to bag something, without undue stress of freezing his tail off in a blind.

They will drive you crazy stomping around and making noise but you'll still get a squirrel or two and make great memories. Some of the most fun we have had together is just shooting pinecones off the trees.

Squirrel goes into any recipe with ease. Last time I fixed it I made jalapeno poppers with minced squirrel mixed with cream cheese, stuffed in peppers and rolled in bacon. The kids tore it up.

Shame it is not more popular. The conservation of all our wild places relies heavily on sportsmen. Just like starting kids on sunfish so they can get that instant gratification, then letting them grow and mature into bass or catfish fisherman, I think parents ought to start their kids out on small game and let them grow and mature naturally into big game hunters. They will never outgrow small game hunting, and are more likely to keep hunting later in life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Its probably an opportunity thing. The abundance of all variety of game nowadays, larger game like deer and turkey are way more accessible in the past so that is just what people gravitate towards. I'm in my early 30s and I love small game hunting, it is great fun. I also deer and turkey hunt which is fun, but also a lot of work. Whereas small game its basically just all fun. A growing number of hunters are also adults who did not grow up hunting. I fall into this camp. From the outside it can seem as though small game hunting is for kids, or its just something for newbies to do to get their feet wet before moving onto more 'impressive' quary. That is the impression that I get.

I think its also the food angle too. Many people who don't eat game or hunt view venison, turkey, duck as pretty 'normal' food. But I have met a lot of people who thought rabbit was weird, even more so when you talking squirrels. Funny thing is squirrel is probably one of the best game meats out there, its my favorite. I have never given any one squirrel and they did not like it. Something I cannot say for venison or ducks. Oh well, more for us I guess.