ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Are we a dying breed?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Yes, we are.

And it's about far more than lack of game in some places. It's about lack of open land to hunt (this is the biggest problem in many areas), and people work more now than ever, so when they do go hunting they are more interested in killing something bigger than a bird or bunny.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have read that overall, numbers of hunters of all kind are on the decline. There are probably a number of reasons for this as our culture becomes more urban. It's a shame as there seems to be more game than ever before in terms of rabbit, squirrel, turkey and deer, at least here in Eastern Kansas. Of course, there are no bobwhite quail anymore. I was raised dirt poor in Oklahoma in the 1950s and we hunted small game to put on the table. My Grandfather could skin a squirrel without leaving any hair on the meat. I never could. These days nobody in my family will eat it, and I am not going afield to shoot animals just for the sport of shooting them. Too bad. Some of my fondest memories were spring camp outs with fresh fried squirrel that we had hunted that day.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

nick_ander wrote:
I am 36 and a small game hunter. I prefer hunting small game and birds over big game. I love the length of the season. You can pretty much head out when ever you are bored Sept -Dec. I could spend all day in the woods every day. I have two young girls. I will teach them both to hunt, but my eldest would cry if you shot a bunny in front of her. My youngest would cry and then want to try it herself. The way I look at it is my meat lived a great life in the great wide open instead of a stockyard/feedlot or poultry barn. There is something humane about that.

I feel the same way about the meat. If anyone wishes to criticize, I just tell them that my game meat is as organic and free range as it is possible to be.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:32 am 
Tournament Grade

neangler wrote:
Yes, we are.

And it's about far more than lack of game in some places. It's about lack of open land to hunt (this is the biggest problem in many areas), and people work more now than ever, so when they do go hunting they are more interested in killing something bigger than a bird or bunny.

Sadly, your points are too true.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Well gents I can tell you in Louisiana squirrel hunters are not a dying breed. Opening weekend of squirrel season is a big to do down this way. I don't get to chase them as often as I used to but I still love to go when I can.

Check out this link to a La hunting site and you'll see there's no shortage of squirrel hunters down here.

http://www.bayoubucks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:46 pm 
Utility Grade

That is so true kids today don't hunted or fish like I did, I will be 53 this coming Friday I have 2 grandson that hunted and fish will one love to deer hunted. I have Bluetick Beagle haven't taking them rabbithunting yet one of the boys are 9 and the other 7 so maybe they will like rabbithunting

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:40 pm 
Limited Edition

This thread is kind of sad... When I was a kid I'd be in the woods hunting small game before the school bus dropped off the rest of the kids, turned around 3/10ths of a mile down the dead end road, and came back past my house!

That said, I take my teen sons hunting as often as possible. The oldest is in college now and is so busy he skipped T-day dinner today... he hasn't had a single day afield this year for small or big game but he did get a deer and a few pheasant last year.

The younger son has gotten pheasant and a turkey so far this year, no deer yet, and we haven't gotten out for squirrels yet. He got a couple deer last year including a nice 8 pt, plus some pheasants and squirrels.

There are 3 months of squirrel hunting season left and the woods are thick with them this year so I know we'll put some in the bag. There aren't many places to hunt rabbits though there are a lot of them in general this year... it's a habitat problem. In the areas where you can hunt the rabbit habitat is almost non-existent. Where you cannot hunt, mostly too close to houses, there is fringe and grass cover and lots of rabbits. Maybe a high powered pellet rifle and still hunting rabbits is an option!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am with you guys who love small game hunting. Unfortunately, the deer hunters have a monopoly on the area until January 1. We have 8,000 acres of paradise leased and there is every game animal in the Southeast on it. After deer season, it is a pleasure to rabbit and squirrel hunt on this land. I am sorry to say that deer hunters aren't the nicest of people when you are walking through their stands. It is also very dangerous. Hunters get shot or shot at too often during deer season. By now, the rut is over around here but these guys sit in their stands faithfully every day they have off. They pay their dues and we have to honor their right to do so.

In January and February, we have the woods all to ourselves. Then in May we have the best turkey hunting in the Southeast. If the landowners don't get an increase in their taxes, we will have some affordable hunting land for years to come. We pay their land taxes and that is our lease fee. There are no dwellings on the leased hunting land and one does not have to worry about shooting around a residence. Though I enjoy deer hunting during the rut, small game is my favorite type of hunting.

The two most common elements in the
universe are hydrogen and stupidity.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:09 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm 33yo and most of my hunting is small game and grouse (the only uplands here in the UP). Squirrel and rabbit make up a majority of hunting. I'm not really interested much in deer hunting as I find it boring but return on investment is high ($20 kill tag = 75-100lbs of meat). I also have ADD and need to be moving around. Small game keeps my mind focused.

I don't have a dog, so I just spot and stalk for small game. Most of the grouse I've killed have been on the ground before they flush. Sometimes I'll bring my 20ga but most of the time I use my 10mm 1911 pistol for grouse and take head/neck shots out to 30-40y. The woods where the grouse like are so thick where I hunt you can't move a shotgun around so it makes no sense to handicap myself. A handgun is much more practical and effective. I cast and load a 155gr SWC @ 1200fps.

Squirrel and rabbit are mostly shotgun work, although when I want a challenge I use my handgun. Not too many squirrels other than reds here, but that just means no bag limits and I get a lot more shooting in. That's one of the drawbacks to deer hunting. You get one or two shots and then your season is over. Many times 830am opening day my season is already done and I spent about 45 minutes in the woods. What fun is that? Small game is exponentially more enjoyable than deer hunting. I've gotten 30+ red squirrels in one outing many times. Now THAT is fun.

Next year I'm starting waterfowl hunting. Deer hunting just doesn't get me excited like small game does.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes. I'm 31 and the only other friend I have that hunts squirrel is in his late 40's. Most of my friends hunt large game, but not small. Squirrel and rabbits are some of my favorite meals.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tomorrow I will listen to beautiful music, a pack of beagles. Very few things in life sound as well as a pack of dogs in full blast. Absolutely beautiful! We will hit the swamp about 9:00 and run them a half day and change dogs after lunch. It is hard work on dogs to run rabbits where we hunt. They earn their keep. By noon, they are bloody from the briers and tired but still eager to chase another one. We change dogs to keep them fresh and the music blasting.

I love rabbit and squirrel hunting. Problem is that I don't have a squirrel dog. My sons and I pull vines and walk up the tree rats.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:37 am 
Crown Grade

I have been out squirrel hunting 5 times this season (it's the only small game that is plentiful around here) on public land, and I have yet to see another hunter. Folks just don't small game hunt anymore.

Unfortunately, I have not seen a rabbit or grouse, but the squirrels were in pretty good supply this year. I'll keep hunting them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

I went to some public land today and killed 4 rabbits. There was not another soul on the whole property. However, there was some old rabbit fur near the parking lot where someone had cleaned a couple of rabbits so at least one other person other than me rabbit hunts there!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:35 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm 30. My dad is 51. He is into the "hype" of whitetail hunting. He has scent free everything, has every gadget for his bow/shotgun/muzzleloader..........if it's on the outdoor channel, he must buy it.
He wears lots of underarmer and camo. His everyday attire is a suit. His favorite shotguns are a SA Luger, and a scoped Mossberg for deer. Synthetic materials are his life.

I, on the other hand, wear flannel/jeans/redwings almost always. This is also my hunting attire. I hate deer and elk hunting. Really. And, I'd rather eat beef. Huntng birds and small game is the only hunting I enjoy........with ducks and turkey on occasion. My favorite shotguns are SxS's and old Ithaca pumps. I prefer natural materials almost always.

My father is a VP for a huge corporate conglomerate-----he thrives on stress and is a very intense individual. He is a people person. He lives in the liberal Midwest.

I am a supervisor at a mineral mine. I'm also on the industrial fire brigade team.-------I embrace stress, and do well with it, but prefer to keep it out of my life. I am a laid back individual compared to him. I would rather chop my arms off, than have to talk to anyone. I live in the Rockies, in the middle of nowhere.

In summation, I'm not entirely sure it's a generational thing. I think it has more to do with your environment, personality, and what you like to do.

Different strokes for different folks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't eat a lot of small game but many of my neighbors beg all the rabbits and squirrels that I bag. When I come home in my hunting clothes, old blue jeans and flannel shirts fit only for a tramp, I start getting phone calls. So, there is no waste,

I will add that since coyotes have moved into this area a few years ago, rabbits are scarce. On a good day, we may bag a couple when ten years ago, we got the limit with no problem. I love to hear the beagles doing choir practice after a rabbit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:46 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

casonet wrote:
I have read that overall, numbers of hunters of all kind are on the decline.

The opposite is true. Between 2001 and 2013, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the number of female hunters rose 85 percent.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/conserv ... n-decades/

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Randy, that is a very good thing about female hunters. I have four daughters and have tried to encourage each of them to take up game hunting with me. Sadly, I can honestly say that in my over 50 years of upland game hunting I cannot remember a single occasion of encountering a female hunter in the field.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:51 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
Randy, that is a very good thing about female hunters. I have four daughters and have tried to encourage each of them to take up game hunting with me. Sadly, I can honestly say that in my over 50 years of upland game hunting I cannot remember a single occasion of encountering a female hunter in the field.

I wholly agree. My daughter was never interested in hunting or the shooting sports even though I tried to get her to go with me. I do see female shooters, but I have yet to encounter a female hunter in the field.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Take a kid hunting and take your best girl hunting as well, every time you can. That's all up to us.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:52 pm 
Limited Edition

I encounter female hunters afield... youth and adult alike. I also have female friends who hunt with their husbands and/or children. A few years ago I took a woman out hunting who had expressed, on a local internet site, her interest in learning to hunt. 40 years ago I only knew one female who hunted...

My club has had a large influx of women in recent years. Most are interested in training in and shooting handguns and a few in the use of shotguns. Most express sentiments that they decided to do this as they don't like the idea that people are trying to take away our gun rights.

There has been a change over time... we need to get them in the voting booth supporting us...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next