ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Are we a dying breed?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

During the early days of the dove season, there are a couple of women who show up. They are pretty decent shooters, also. One of them has a stand next to mine. She uses a nice O/U, a Beretta, I think, while I bang away with an el cheapo. :oops:

The two most common elements in the
universe are hydrogen and stupidity.”

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:40 am 
Field Grade

Fine with me more tree rats to shoot at. Kids today are to good to eat squirrels. Me I love them and the freedom to hunt. I am 55 yrs old. Grew up small game hunting an also do not dragging a 125pd carcus .

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm a senior, retired and still hunt small game, I'll pass on the deer, ducks and turkey, small game is simple basic hunting, don't need no super expensive guns and gear, although I'm breaking in a new 870 Wingmaster, my retirement gift to myself, never could afford one while sending 5 kids through college.

Most today see no challenge to small game, I find it easier to hit a duck at 40 yards than a zig-zagging cottontail running at speed through the brush. JMHO

"shoot what ya like, like what ya shoot".....it's that simple!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:46 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

longislandloco wrote:
Most today see no challenge to small game, I find it easier to hit a duck at 40 yards than a zig-zagging cottontail running at speed through the brush. JMHO

Doves don't always fly correctly, have you heard of that phenomenon? :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:33 am 
Presentation Grade

I don't hunt Rabbits & Squirrels anymore because my spouse won't eat them and I have enough Ducks and Pheasants and other Upland Birds to eat. I also Big Game Hunt so I have plenty of wild game to eat.
I also think most people should start out hunting Rabbits & Squirrels because it teaches one to drift like smoke in the woods as I call it. Which is the best practice for someone to learn, before going Big Game hunting. I know my hunting of Rabbits & Squirrels has made me a better Big Game hunter yes my Marlin 39 .22LR with Williams peep sight and smaller ivory front sight, will never be sold, I might just have to get it out this fall for another walk the woods to drift like smoke and scout for some new deer hunting places and bag a squirrel or two and some rabbits.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm 20 years old and honestly I prefer small game hunting, it's more fun. My problem with deer hunting for example is I don't find sitting in a tree stand for hours to really be sport. Now walking through the brush not knowing what you're gonna run up on and the adrenaline of being spooked by the birds taking flight or the squirrels hitting the branches overhead. Whew! Listen to me going on like a school girl haha. Small game hunting is only for men who prefer to play with their food before they eat! It's more of a challenge and it gets the blood pumping, long live small game hunting!!

Ithaca Model 37

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

TheNova12 wrote:
I'm 20 years old and honestly I prefer small game hunting, it's more fun. My problem with deer hunting for example is I don't find sitting in a tree stand for hours to really be sport. Now walking through the brush not knowing what you're gonna run up on and the adrenaline of being spooked by the birds taking flight or the squirrels hitting the branches overhead. Whew! Listen to me going on like a school girl haha. Small game hunting is only for men who prefer to play with their food before they eat! It's more of a challenge and it gets the blood pumping, long live small game hunting!!

Well said, I love the action and hate sitting around also! Plus a lot more hunting days and opportunities with small game!

The only good crow is the one your about to shoot!

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel!

Max-5 really!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:09 pm 
Utility Grade

CLAYCOMO TRUCKS wrote:
TheNova12 wrote:

Well said, I love the action and hate sitting around also! Plus a lot more hunting days and opportunities with small game!

Thank you. Where I live everyone is so gungho about deer hunting and waterfowl. That's to much down time for the rest of the year. And small game you can pick almost year round to hunt.

Ithaca Model 37

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:21 am 
Crown Grade

As I said before, squirrels are about the only small game that's plentiful enough to hunt in this area. That's a shame as I would really enjoy some rabbit and grouse hunting now that I'm "older". It may take me moving to a different area/state when I retire to find an abundance of small game.

I think that's why the kids don't get interested in it. Going out and not seeing game causes one to lose interest quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Dying breed? Yes. Extinct? No. I too have grown apart from big game hunting. Awesome news! Now I can spend more time and money doing what I truly enjoy....Small game hunting.

As an aside, I just buy a beef and a hog for the freezer now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:02 pm 
Field Grade

Around here a lot of people hunt small game. My neighbor's whole family do it. I'm not a hunter myself, but could get my limit of squirrels and rabbits without getting more than 2 steps from the back porch. It is screened-in and my cats sit out there watching the bunnies while the squirrels scream and bark at them.

I do like shooting bottle rockets at the tree-rats, though. It is hilarious seeing them crap themselves when I manage to hit the tree a couple of inches from them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

subman wrote:
Around here a lot of people hunt small game. My neighbor's whole family do it. I'm not a hunter myself, but could get my limit of squirrels and rabbits without getting more than 2 steps from the back porch. It is screened-in and my cats sit out there watching the bunnies while the squirrels scream and bark at them.

I do like shooting bottle rockets at the tree-rats, though. It is hilarious seeing them crap themselves when I manage to hit the tree a couple of inches from them.

1/2" PVC pipe + rudimentary crosshairs + bottle rocket = kind-of-sort-of-quasi-accurate RPG :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:01 pm 
Field Grade

Yep. My rocket launcher looks like an F laid on the side both the handles are capped and no glue was used. 2 one foot sections, 1 T joint, 1 elbow joint, 2 eight inch sections, and 2 end caps.

I can hit a tree from about 35' with it, and with bottle rockets at $3 a gross, it costs 2 cents per shot.

Will it kill a squirrel? No, but it is fun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:58 am 
Field Grade

Definitely around here! I'm only guessing but comparing now to the late 60's and 70's when I grew up, comparing numbers, I'd say less than 10% are squirrel hunters. It literally would sound like a war the first month of season on weekends. I got away from it myself by mid 80's, over to deer & turkey when I hunted but for the last 12 years I love it even more than ever, and everything about it, except maybe the bugs & humidity of early season. Just now getting time!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:13 pm 
Field Grade

I started off squirrel hunting as a boy in the 50s and never left it. Just this morning I got two big fox squirrels, as I did yesterday morning. I don't want much, just enough to get me out in the woods and make things interesting.

In my younger days, I specialized with .22 rifles for squirrels. Now, in my 70s, my muscle control, eyesight and hearing are not what they used to be. Hitting a 2-inch target up in the trees freehand is not too feasible for me anymore, so it's all shotgunning. No great sacrifice. It's as much fun as ever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:04 am 
Limited Edition

I've just lost interest in deer or other big game hunting. Way too expensive, far too much effort required and so many people all rushing into a season that's very short. Opening day of deer season is downright dangerous. I never went on Opening day, far too many once-a-year warriors out there.

Small game? Year around there's something open here including coyote and jackrabbit being year around and no limit. Cottontail is a six month season. I live 20 min from my favorite hunting spot. It's the kind of thing I can just decide on a whim to go and get some fresh air and exercise - throw on my boots and carhartt pants, grab my shotgun and vest and be off. Two hours later I'm back home with a rabbit or two. I have a blast and feel great afterwards. I've got lots of rabbits here on my own property and can bag one just about any time of the day by stepping outside.

For me small game is fun and simple. I started out squirrel hunting in the woods of Illinois as a kid in the 70's. Nowadays rabbits (jack and cottontail), dove and quail are my favorite. Coyote and Bobcat also. I'm retired now and bought myself a like-new older Browning Citori in 20ga as a retirement gift. I just love that little gun and it's now my #1 choice for everything. In the evenings I load it with #3 buckshot and take a walk around my property and see if I can't spook up a coyote in the brush. Bobcat season opens next week :D

1972 Browning A-5 Light Twelve
1969 Browning A-5 Magnum 12ga

Last edited by jcs266 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:10 am 
Limited Edition

MikePP wrote:
I started off squirrel hunting as a boy in the 50s and never left it. Just this morning I got two big fox squirrels, as I did yesterday morning. I don't want much, just enough to get me out in the woods and make things interesting.

In my younger days, I specialized with .22 rifles for squirrels. Now, in my 70s, my muscle control, eyesight and hearing are not what they used to be. Hitting a 2-inch target up in the trees freehand is not too feasible for me anymore, so it's all shotgunning. No great sacrifice. It's as much fun as ever.

Exactly. I like keeping it simple also and I thoroughly enjoy it. Every time I'm out I see something beautiful or interesting - a sunrise, interesting rocks or whatever.

1972 Browning A-5 Light Twelve
1969 Browning A-5 Magnum 12ga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:03 pm 
Field Grade

I just got my first Hunting Lic. here in Ohio earlier tonight. I had a Lic. once when I lived in Alaska and went out with a friend for Moose (we did not see one...). So my hunting "experience" is dragging a Lee-Enfield Rifle around and walking in the mud on the Kenai Peninsula...

Well, I just wanted to justify buying yet another single shot 16 Ga., so I got my Hunting lic. and going to have a go at squirrel here soon. I think it is just an excuse for me to walk around the woods with a firearm, but hey if it gets me out of the house it is worth it.

I'm 44 and grew up with a Dad who was older, he grew up in the Depression, then off to The War. He hunted as a kid in the 30's and a short time after the War with his brothers, but put his gun away sometime in the 50's. So, he never took me hunting as a kid...I really think that his time in the War had a lot to do with that?, or he just got burned out having to hunt for food and realised later that he could just jump in his car and go the local A&P for steak, etc.

So, looks like I get to learn on my own, I am fine with that. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, even if I don't shoot anything...
Mark

Marlin Model 1898 12 Ga.
Stevens Model 520 12 Ga.
Stevens Model 67E 12 Ga.
Mossberg 500 12 Ga.
H&R No.7 Bay State 16 Ga.
Iver Johnson Champion 16 Ga.
Remington "The Sportsman" 16 Ga.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congrats on your first hunting license, Tomcat. Small game hunting is relaxing and rewarding, and it's usually not too difficult to be successful, as I'm sure you will soon be. Also, a nice squirrel or rabbit dinner is the icing on the cake. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:22 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you, looking forward to getting out in the woods.
Mark

Marlin Model 1898 12 Ga.
Stevens Model 520 12 Ga.
Stevens Model 67E 12 Ga.
Mossberg 500 12 Ga.
H&R No.7 Bay State 16 Ga.
Iver Johnson Champion 16 Ga.
Remington "The Sportsman" 16 Ga.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next