ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best ever squirrel gun!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Diddle wrote:
Mine is a Mauser 350B that my dad bought me for $20 in a barber shop in 1960. I still have it and it remains my favorite squirrel gun of all time.

Many times a rifle that has some memories makes for a much more enjoyable outing. For me it is an Anschutz 1710 that can place 5 rounds in under a dime sized hole. I have taken rabbits, squirrels, raccoons and a fox with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

My favorite is an RWS model 34 air rifle. To be honest I have not gotten a chance to get a squirrel with this one, but I have taken an aweful lot of squirrels with lesser air rifles. But this gun is an especially accurate little break barrel.

I am fairly new to using the shotgun and let me tell you, I don't feel like it has given me much of an advantage if any. Using a single shot Baikal, I have only bagged one squirrel this year. The boy has done much better than me with his mother's Mossberg 500.

I just picked us up a pair of almost identical shotguns, except his is a 500 and mine's an 835. Background check was delayed so I paid it down to a penny but I gotta wait a week to get em.

I do believe the shotgun requires as much skill as a rifle, but different kind of skill. Or maybe I am just terrible at it. Probably doesn't help that with no range nearby that allows anything other than slugs in a shotgun, we "pattern" them on pinecones.

Anyway what a great forum this is. Learning a lot of great stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

regularguy11B wrote:
I am fairly new to using the shotgun and let me tell you, I don't feel like it has given me much of an advantage if any. Using a single shot Baikal, I have only bagged one squirrel this year. The boy has done much better than me with his mother's Mossberg 500.

I do believe the shotgun requires as much skill as a rifle, but different kind of skill. Or maybe I am just terrible at it. Probably doesn't help that with no range nearby that allows anything other than slugs in a shotgun, we "pattern" them on pinecones.

Shotgunning for squirrels is challenging in it's own way. Being that you are new to shotgunning, the one thing that you will need to keep in mind is that you must keep your head on the stock. You can't raise your head to get a better look at the squirrel and then shoot. Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun so if you raise your head, you will shoot high and miss.

The other thing as it pertains to squirrels is that they are much tougher than people give them credit for. If you skin a squirrel and a rabbit side by side, you will see what I mean. The squirrel's hide is much tougher and harder for the shot to penetrate. This requires the use of heavier (larger) shot and tighter chokes. If you are shooting at squirrels with improved cylinder choke and #7 1/2 shot, you will only kill squirrels at very close range. The smallest shot I would use is #6 with #5 being the best. #4 can work but can lose pattern density at longer ranges. I wouldn't use a choke more open than modified. Modified, improved modified, or full work well. Some guys even use a turkey choke (tighter than full). For early season when the leaves are on, I would go with modified choke and #6 shot in the chamber backed up with #5 shot. For later season with the leaves off I would use full choke and #5 shot as shots tend to be longer.

Good luck to you and happy hunting!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:53 pm 
Field Grade

double20 wrote:
regularguy11B wrote:

Shotgunning for squirrels is challenging in it's own way. Being that you are new to shotgunning, the one thing that you will need to keep in mind is that you must keep your head on the stock. You can't raise your head to get a better look at the squirrel and then shoot. Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun so if you raise your head, you will shoot high and miss.

The other thing as it pertains to squirrels is that they are much tougher than people give them credit for. If you skin a squirrel and a rabbit side by side, you will see what I mean. The squirrel's hide is much tougher and harder for the shot to penetrate. This requires the use of heavier (larger) shot and tighter chokes. If you are shooting at squirrels with improved cylinder choke and #7 1/2 shot, you will only kill squirrels at very close range. The smallest shot I would use is #6 with #5 being the best. #4 can work but can lose pattern density at longer ranges. I wouldn't use a choke more open than modified. Modified, improved modified, or full work well. Some guys even use a turkey choke (tighter than full). For early season when the leaves are on, I would go with modified choke and #6 shot in the chamber backed up with #5 shot. For later season with the leaves off I would use full choke and #5 shot as shots tend to be longer.

Good luck to you and happy hunting!

I am also of the opinion squirrels are far tougher than rabbits. I took my first rabbit with a Daisy bb gun that shot maybe 300 feet per second. A squirrel would laugh at that!

I figured #6's would be a good all purpose load. They are the largest shot I can find in remington's game loads ($5-$6 per 25). But I for sure wounded at least one squirrel with them, a real nice fat fox squirrel, a few days ago. Now I imagine Possibly more of my "misses" were crippled.

Now we won't shoot anything smaller than #4 shot. All we have are modified choke guns. Will change in a couple more days though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:09 pm 
Field Grade

Used my Winchester 9410 today to bag three squirrels early this morning. I bagged the last squirrel on the run. I used #6 shot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:23 am 
Limited Edition

For squirrels I like to use either my Marlin model 60 .22 cal. or my Ithaca Model 600 20 gauge with #6 shot. Depends on if I am hunting in leafy woods or more open terrain.

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MikePP-Stocks for the 311 are cheap. . . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:16 am 
Tournament Grade

My favorite is the one I decide to use at the time. However I do have an old Stevens/Springfield single 12 that I have taken a lot with. My Dad called it "old meat in the pot"! He could not figure out how I could reload and shoot again so fast. I finally showed him how I held a couple shells in my non firing hand when I thought there was more than one squack close by. Only takes a couple of seconds to reload if you are ready for it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:20 pm 
Field Grade

Any of my pre-war Winchesters fit the bill, but my Model 12 16 gauge, full choke field grade usually takes the top spot. Load it with 1 1/8th oz of sixes, and its deadly to the top of any big oak in this county. The 1897 or M24 comes along sometimes, too but not as often. They just aren't as nimble as the 12 is, to me. It truly is the "perfect repeater". In my youth, grandad's old model 37 Win. in 16 gauge killed more squirrels than a truck can haul, and I still use it occasionally. If running behind dogs, however, give me a Browning SA-22. Light and fast and plenty accurate to do the job.

Mac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:00 pm 
Utility Grade

My favorite is my 61 Winchester I bought when I was 12. It was my exclusive squirrel gun for my peak squirrel hunting years. I've used others since but that one holds the best memories.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 pm 
Field Grade

Hands down my old 1950's Winchester Model 61 pump. I am 68 and have been shooting it since I was a boy. The looks, balance, and handling are so nice - classic Americana. Back in the day when my eyes were hawk sharp I could head shoot Fox Squirrels from the tops of big Hickory Nut trees. The open sights on the 61's are very fine. These days mine has a scope.

[img]i108.photobucket.com[/img]

i108.photobucket.com

[img]i108.photobucket.com[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:38 pm 
Crown Grade

There are several color phases of Fox squirrels & perhaps some sub species (I'm not a wildlife biologist). The Midwest has red ones I know. The ones I have killed here in SC are silver Gray with a face mask resembling a raccoon. I once killed a solid black one.
My most enjoyable gun to hunt squirrels with is my 20 ga. LC Smith. That is by no means limited to squirrels. I have killed all sorts of ducks with it & had the honor of being top gun on a SC draw hunt with it when lead was still legal for a 20 ga.. It has also been used to take a zillion Clapper Rails (marsh hens) along with doves & quail. Actually, I prefer to hunt them with my left handed CZ 452 when the leaves & cover permits but usually don't because of the possibility of opportunities for winged game.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:28 pm 
Field Grade

Remington 572 pump .22RF.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Still prefer a shotgun most times (hunting mainly in “shotgun only” areas) but when a rifle is allowed or preferred will use a Marlin 60, Squirrel Stock model with longer barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:04 pm 
Field Grade

Hi I grew up using a Stevens 410. Then a mossberg bolt action 410. I just order a mossberg 500 TSS 410 Turkey Gun. I am using it for squirrel hunting. Camo 3 inch 26 inch barrel screw in chokes. It comes with a xx full Turkey choke. I order a full and modified for it. When I can find some good or new once fired hulls. I will start reloading for a 410. I am going to try 5 and 6 shot.