ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coyote calling
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:30 pm 
Field Grade

I have never been coyote hunting before, just smaller game in my big backyard. I've been looking into calls, and I guess handcalls are the small plastic things with reeds in them. I guess audio calls are a moresurefire way to call in yotes.

How do audio calls work, and what do people usually do to play them when hunting ?

As a first time yote hunter, any advice you could give ?

Post subject: Re: Coyote calling
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:36 am 
Field Grade

For first time coyote hunter I say get handheld calls. Get one rabbit call and one mouse squeaker. Squeaker first and then use the rabbit call, starting quietly and then building volume over 10 minutes or so. You don't want to blow the dogs out of the area.

Nothing about hunting is surefire and coyote is probably the hardest of all hunting I have ever done. I cold write you a book on how tohunt them but there are already a bunch out there. Read a few.

Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Coyote calling
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:17 pm 
Crown Grade

When calling, it's best to hunt in pairs so you can see all approach paths. I have had them pass right by me when they came from behind.

I guess I was never a "serious" coyote hunter because the only camo I had was a cap with some cloth to cover the face. Didn't use electronic calls, either. A Burnham Brothers rabbit call worked well enough for me. Very few times that I went out that I didn't see coyotes. Lot of times, they saw me first, though.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell