ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Best shot size for squirrels in thick brush.
#4 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
#5 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
#6 44%  44%  [ 20 ]
#7 1/2 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 45
 Post subject: Re: Shot size for squirrel hunting in thick brush?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

What choke is the barrel, I always use a full.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot squirrels in south Mississippi too, and shoot a T/C Contender Super 14" 410 loaded with Remington 3" #6 shot. Out to 25 yards, it has killed literally hundreds of squirrels and more than it's share of rabbits. It may be limited on range but it sure is fun to hunt with!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:11 am 
Utility Grade

I hunt with # 4 high brass in 20 ga for squirrel. Maybe open up the choke for brush? Heavier shot patterns tighter anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I live in north Arkansas some places are like that brushy along the rivers. I always carry some #4 but mostly 6's. I did get a reloader and ordered some magnum #5 to load to try on them. If that dont shoot that good. I am ordering some nickel platted 5 1/2 shot. I use a mossberg 500 410 TSS Turkey gun. The oak trees are big . The nickel platted mite be better.

Last edited by 204_ruger on Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:21 am 
Crown Grade

"Shot size is a poor substitute for pattern density" & having said that, squirrels are tough little buggers & I don't trust anything smaller than #6 lead. I don't shoot steel anything at anything. If I can't shoot lead, I got to bismuth or tungsten alloy. I am glad to hear some people don't want to hunt squirrel. That leaves more for me! I thoroughly enjoy a few good squirrel hunts every year, even though my time is divided between a number of other types of game. I started with a .410 sxs shooting #6's. I still use 6's but found the .410 lacking for anything over 20 yds. or so. The 20 ga. with 7/8 oz. of shot was a vast improvement. If you are having trouble seeing squirrels in the brush, I bet the range is not too great. 6's don't penetrate brush as well as 4's or 5's but there is a lot more of them to find an opening. I really doubt you will kill more with larger shot. BTW, I don't know what I would want to use it for but I regret selling my .410 anyway. A 28 ga. would have been a much better choice. However, if you enjoy hunting with the .410, as I once did, "Go For It"!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Why hunt squirrels? They are also living creatures. If you are disturbed by squirrels, then you can just call the necessary service, and they will catch them. Just killing wild animals is cruel, they didn't do anything wrong. Hunting for fun is also extremely cruel. I don't understand people who take pleasure in killing animals. When the squirrels settled in my chimney, I didn't kill them or poison them, I called experts that work with wild animals. They caught all the squirrels without causing them any harm.

Last edited by Maddy on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

^^^^Troll for sure!^^^^ My necessary service comes in boxes of 25.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ohio mike wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:15 am 
Field Grade

ohio mike wrote:

You guys are going about it all wrong... Proper service comes in a box of 20- that is, 20 rounds of 30-06! You ever see what a 180 grain bullet at 2700fps can do to a squirrel?!? It’s nothing short of amazing :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

Another option for the .410 is the slug. I say this half jokingly but I have actually killed a fox squirrel with a .410 slug. So the story goes like this: I was hunting groundhogs with my Dad's Stevens .410/.22 LR combination gun. I put a slug in the .410 barrel in case I only wounded the groundhog with the .22 and needed a quick follow up shot or in the case that I couldn't get a head shot on the groundhog and could body shoot him with the slug as a groundhog that is body shot with a .22 LR will often get away. The gun has simple open sights on it and surprisingly out to about 60 yards, the .22 and the slug hit very close together. Anyway, it was the time of year when squirrel season had just opened a few days prior. I didn't really expect to see a squirrel and they weren't my main focus. I was hunting near the edge of a field where a power line ran through. Underneath the power line was high ground and it sloped down to the field on one side and the woods on the other side. Groundhogs made their burrows along the sides of this raised area. So I was slipping along looking for groundhogs that were out near the mouth of their burrows. Suddenly, a big fox squirrel jumped up on the base of a tree about 30 yards away and just stared at me. I realized that squirrel season had just come in so I wasn't going to let this opportunity go to waste. I double checked the selector on the side of the gun and pushed it up to ensure that I was selecting the upper .22 LR barrel. I slowly raised the gun and cocked the hammer. Being that I was younger and a less experienced shooter and that I was shooting offhand with open sights, I didn't trust myself to make a headshot on the squirrel. So I took careful aim at the chest just behind the front shoulder like you would do on a deer and pulled the trigger. Instead of hearing the crack of the .22 I was expecting, I hear BOOM! The squirrel cartwheels through the air from the base of the tree. I look down at the gun and the selector is down for the .410 barrel. I had just shot the squirrel with a .410 slug! Later my Dad told me that the selector on that gun was acting up and would sometimes not stay in the up position when the hammer was cocked. He has since had it fixed. The carnage was such that I saved from the back of the ribcage back and tossed the rest (really just lost the front legs and the ribs- the back and back legs are the best part anyway). Splintered shoulder bones and ribs were all through the front end and front legs. So I can say that the .410 slug is effective at killing squirrels. That's my .410 slug squirrel hunting story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good story, double20, enjoyed reading it. You are the only person I know who hunts squirrels with .410 slugs. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FWIW, I use a 20 gauge in modified. It is a Nova with a 24 inch barrel.

My son uses a 12 gauge Browning A5 with a 24 inch barrel in IC and #7.5 shot.

We both limit out when the squirrels cooperate, so we must be doing something right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Double 20,
Good story! I have one of those Stevens 410/.22 but never could get the .410 to pattern well. I should have tried slugs!

Evan,
Always enjoy your post. Do any squirrel hunting this year?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No squirrel hunting this year. The deer hunters don't want anyone wandering around in the lease until deer season is over. It started raining and didn't let up until everything was under water. Then the wind started and the rain began again. First season I have ever missed squirrel and rabbit hunting. I did go deer hunting a couple of times. Saw plenty of deer but didn't feel up to skinning one so I let them play around until dark.

I am not 84 years old now and have to know my limitations. I am sure that there are older members than me who can relate to this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ev, I'm 76 and limit my squirrel hunting to a couple of times a year. I really love to squirrel hunt. However do to some pretty bad arthritis in my hands cleaning them is nearly impossible. On the rare instances when I can get someone to clean them I'm ready to hunt. I really do enjoy floating small rivers with the dog.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:28 pm 
Field Grade

Im glad you guys get out out and hunt. My neighbor isn’t close to your age and has pretty much given up. Every time we talk about it, I offer to help him with setting up his stand or if he were to shoot a deer to call me and I’ll help him get it out of the woods etc. He kinda jokes about this or that but hasn’t gone out in a couple years and I doubt he will. I’ll bet you guys have some friends or neighbors that would help you too so keep at it and let the younger guys do the hard work.

Good luck.
John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:00 am 
Tournament Grade

I squirrel hunt 2 or 3 times a week in the fall. I use 6 shot mostly. But I am going to try nickel plated 6 shot. When the leaves are still on. I have killed a bunch of squirrels pass 20 yards.