ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smallest shot size for Foxes
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:54 am 
Diamond Grade

I've got a fox drive coming up next weekend, we got almost 300 last year but a lot of the stubble has been cut so not expecting the same numbers and ranges could be a bit longer this year.

Last year I did well with 36gm #3 shot and fixed I/C choke, I dropped down in shot size to give me a fuller center pattern for a bit more range.
It worked really well so this year I want to try with a tighter choke in a different gun.
I'm figuring on a .662 turkey choke and the #3 or #4 shot.
I used #4 as a kid and it did alright on foxes, but if I can pick up some 42gm #4 then I should get a really dense pattern with that choke.
I will take some 42gm BB's as back up as that's what most fellas use, same as I used to before I figured out patterns kill better then shot size.

Post subject: Re: Smallest shot size for Foxes
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Get some tungsten shot ( heave shot) and drop down to #6 or #7 you will be amazed ......

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 am 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
it seems an odd time of year to be hunting furbearers??

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

We shoot them all year as with coyotes and skunks.
Control and the hunt is the name of the game out of fur season...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

870Slugger wrote:
Get some tungsten shot ( heave shot) and drop down to #6 or #7 you will be amazed ......

I would love to get my hands on Tungsten or Hevi,-shot but its impossible to get my hands on.
I got my hands on some 36gm #4 shot but I can only the 42gm loads in #2 or BB's, it seems there's no market here for smaller shot.
Most people here only buy either #2 or BB's and use it on everything from rabbits to close range pigs, the thought of smaller shot seems alien to them.
I used to be the same way until I tried them again, the blokes in my local shop went so far as to say that you couldn't kill a fox with #4 and #3 was at best marginal.
That got a in the face of things I learnt from experience as a kid as I only ever used to shoot 34gm #4 for Bunnies and Foxes and they killed really well.

Tal/IL wrote:
it seems an odd time of year to be hunting furbearers??

It's the start of winter here, we call them I'm with the Whistle over Spring/Summer and now as winter approaches we either Drive them or flush them with dogs as they don't respond to the whistle in the cold month's.
There's also a bounty on them of $10 a head so two foxes pays for a whole box of shell's.