ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calling coyotes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ok we went calling . Bear season ended the day before, dang it.
End of May and most of June can a VERY good time to be calling coyotes, very active. A very good time to go and clean out the Big Bad Naraly dogs you just cant get killed. You'll never get them killed with rabbit or pray calls, you'll never get them killed parking along side a road and calling. These guys are in the deep bawls of there territory. We hunted marginal and extremely rugged country yesterday most sets were well over 3/4 mile from a road. Deep canyons covered in sage, yucca and prickly pear. Last Sat a buddy and I called in 5 and killed 0. This weekend we called in 8 and for sure killed 4 and quite sure we killed 2 more. Some where Long fleeting shots in very award shooting positions. Most of these guys will get in behind you and try an ambush or sent you, no coming up the coulee your looking down. And they did if you saw them they where just about to sent you or see you, FUN!!!!

The two in question ,we jumped at like 5 yards on out walks in and one on the way out. I always have my arms full of caller decoy and asst junk hard for snap shooting. One was hiding at the edge of a very flooded river hoping we would walk by , when it jumped up it took off across the flooded field giving us just enough time to unload and grab our 22 pistols and sling lead. It made it to the other side when it just ran out of blood we couldn't see it but all movement stopped, suspected dead. On the way out I stepped on one, That will get your heart started , again the two of us emptied our autos on it. WAY out on a ridge we could see it stop and cough blood about every 30 yards and it looked like it fell off on the back side of our accusable ground, 'nother one dead. The 4 others where all long shots and unreachable for photo shots . I did see one in my scope that dropped we tried but just could no reach it with out repelling gear, that would have been a cool mount. It's face was full of scars missing an ear and only part of a tail. A very old brawling monster for sure. OUT standing day

Post subject: Re: Calling coyotes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the very interesting hunting stories. Well written. I can almost see the scenes in my mind's eye. {hs#

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

What number shell are you using?

2019 Henry H001L
2018 Henry US survival rifle
2017 Browning 725 sporting
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

55 gr ballistic tip 6mm Remington.
22 long rifle
223 Vmax.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

Oh ok. I thought you were using a shotgun

2019 Henry H001L
2018 Henry US survival rifle
2017 Browning 725 sporting
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:29 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm glad no one ever told the ones I called with a mouth-blown Burnham Brothers rabbit call that they don't work.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 am 
Field Grade

There is an art to using mouth blown rabbit squealers, worth learning to get away from carrying electronics all day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:43 am 
Diamond Grade

I don't like electronics, they always sound the same and that's unnatural, with a mouth blown you can vary the pitch, blow short or long and I also like trail out to a whimper, it really seals the deal for shy varmints.
I've even called in Hares to a distress call.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:04 am 
Presentation Grade

Our problem out here is Two many people calling and not enough people "KILLING" the coyotes. I have seen coyotes coming in at a full run and turn and hit the after burners if you start any kind of rabbit sound.
90% of all the coyotes we get to come in are to some off the wall sound, like prairie dog all clear or even the kiss of death, mixed with coyote sounds.
I'm working on learning a diaphragm howler to mix in with stuff like pup in distress or feeding ravens and alike.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've had lots of luck with bird distress calls, I've called a lot of foxes in while calling in crows.