ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rabbits
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:12 pm 
Utility Grade

My little brother and I would like to try hunting rabbits/hares. We have tried scouting different areas with no luck. Any ideas or farmers out there who would like to have some taken? We would be willing to pay for an opportunity to hunt on property.

I guess, all in all, we're just looking for ideas.

Post subject: Re: Rabbits
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yes... you can kill some of mine. Be here tomorrow morning. See you then.

Bob

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Kraig wrote:
My little brother and I would like to try hunting rabbits/hares. We have tried scouting different areas with no luck. Any ideas or farmers out there who would like to have some taken? We would be willing to pay for an opportunity to hunt on property.

I guess, all in all, we're just looking for ideas.

Scout when you have snow on the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

It would help if you posted a state and rough location. Scouting with snow on ground works good in Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
It would help if you posted a state and rough location. Scouting with snow on ground works good in Wisconsin.

The lack of the OP's location information prompted the poor attempt at humor in my post above. A little more information will certainly help the helpful folks here to help you.

Doing a little bit of networking with sportsmen in your area might be a big help. You might get some good leads at the local gun shop, skeet/trap club, etc. Farmers in your area might also point you to some great spots and give you hunting permission.

The more people you talk to, the more you'll find out...

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

I used to have some amazing rabbit country to hunt, hundreds every few acres with massive wardens.

Attachment:
15605702739630.jpg

But now I'm stuck hunting bunnies on public land and they are impossible to find, if you find clear ground around old buildings or farms, green gullies with structure like blackberry or other brambles then you should find a few, old rock and log piles are a gold mine of bunnies sometimes.

They need green pick and solid structures that they can burrow under so they have protection as they enter and leave.
A good dog can make a world of difference, and if you hace burrow and ferrets then you can have some amazing fun as they flush.

Look for buck piles, if they are fresh then rabbits are still around, differentiate between old burrow and burrow with fresh digging, rabbits can move between burrows to be closer to the best feed and move as it beats harder on them.

But finding borrows 9/10 times will be key, that is their anchor and they never go further from them then they feel safe to run back to at the 1st sign of danger.
Even finding rabbit fur in predator scat can point you in the right direction, old tracks and lanes also hold them and they don't need open water as they get what they need from green pick.

Good luck.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.