ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steel shot on squirrels.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:11 pm 
Field Grade

I seen Winchester super x 3 inch #6 steel shot at Walmart. I didnt know if the load would work on squirrels. Only reason I was thinking to reload hulls. I have never used steel shot on small game. Nobody in my area buy's them. Not to high either 11.50 a box.

Post subject: Re: Steel shot on squirrels.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Two things about steel shot:
1) It can easily ricochet, so I would never shoot at anything on the ground with it.
2) If you are shooting game for the table, biting down on a piece of steel shot can easily break a tooth, unlike lead shot. (I actually use my metal detector to check my duck breast fillets!)

At least for duck hunting, shooters normally go up two shot sizes when using steel. I don't know if the same is true for small game hunting but, if it is, you would use #6 steel in place of #8 lead. That doesn't sound appropriate for squirrel hunting but, again, I'm not sure if that "two sizes up" thing applies in this case.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I use that exact load for ground squirrel control at the range. Pretty effective out to 30 yards.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

T-Pee wrote:
I use that exact load for ground squirrel control at the range. Pretty effective out to 30 yards.

tp

Be careful if it's rocky... I got hit by a ricocheting steel BB once, just outside the corner of the eye. Another fraction of an inch and... I hate to think about it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:36 pm 
Limited Edition

desmobob wrote:
T-Pee wrote:

tp

Be careful if it's rocky... I got hit by a ricocheting steel BB once, just outside the corner of the eye. Another fraction of an inch and... I hate to think about it.

Yep. Always have shooting glasses on out there.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:10 pm 
Field Grade

The acorn tree's are huge. The squirrels dont come down much. Mostly grey squirrels jumping everywhere. I thought about shooting the Winchester steel shot just for the hulls. I have been looking everywhere for 3 inch hulls. With the steel shot I would have to shoot a IC choke?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

When hunting where non-tox shot is required I use # 4 steel for squirrel though a modified choke mostly.