ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I tell how much powder is in Buckshot?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I have decades of experience Duck Hunting, but new to deer hunting with Buckshot. How do I tell how much gun powder is in all the different Buckshots? I don't want to be shooting 3.5s if the have the same powder as 2 3/4s. Any help or websites to find them please let me know.

Thanks,
Tommy

Post subject: Re: How do I tell how much powder is in Buckshot?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:13 pm 
Crown Grade

How do I tell how much powder?? Apparently you haven't done much reloading. There are hundreds of possible combinations. First you get some reliable data. Then you find the load you want & put it together following the directions! If you want to find out how much is in a loaded hull, you can brake it down & weigh the components but that won't do much good unless you can identify the powder. That would be very problematic at best. I would go buy some good quality buffered "OO" buckshot & do a little patterning so you know what to expect. It should put a minimum of 4 pellets in a "paper plate" size area at the maximum range you intend to shoot. I like more but that is just my humble opinion! Judge how far you should shoot at a deer by the patterns you get. Few gun load combinations are consistently effective beyond 40 yds.!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:19 pm 
Utility Grade

If you are asking about factory loads, most have a “dram equivalent “. I think it is a hold over from black powder days. A 3 1/2 inch shell should be significantly heavier then a 2 3/4.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Why are you worried about the amount of powder? Is that what you worry about when buying duck loads? Most people buy buckshot based on shot size and payload (# of pellets). A 2 3/4" shell will not hold as many OO pellets as a 3" shell, and a 3" shell won"t hold as many OO pellets as a 3.5" shell. Velocities can be different between the different length shells, but I never heard of anyone buying based on the amount of gun powder.