Shotgun Forum banner

Colorado to reintroduce wolves.

6K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  MNGunner 
#1 ·
There goes the neighborhood. Wolves have ruined NW Wyo elk & moose.

#3 ·
MtnOak said:
There are some real geniuses in some of our states fish & game Dpt, they forget there's a reason they were hunted and killed out of some states.
Wolves just don't kill for food, they kill just to kill also.....
It has nothing to do with the Fish & Game depts. The liberal anti hunters found they can't stop hunting with legislation so they have used the Endangered Species Act to "reintroduce" wolves with liberal judges. They know the wolves will decimate the game populations so they can try and stop hunting that way. The wolves reintroduced are northern timber wolves which are a 1/3 larger than the gray wolf. They eat more for thier size. They are actually a invasive species.
Here in MT one pack of wolves killed an entire herd of elk and only fed on a few of them. They killed just for the fun of it.

#5 ·
MtnOak said:
jpickar said:
Here in MT one pack of wolves killed an entire herd of elk and only fed on a few of them. They killed just for the fun of it.
Moffett said:
Wolves and cats kill for fun. We can't have more predators than game animals. A bear will kill anything but damn sure will eat it on the spot.
Anyone else flunk basic biology and history? :shock:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/200 ... sport.html

A Los Angeles Times stor y about the hunt claims that wolves are known to kill for "pure pleasure." Do wolves really attack their prey just for the fun of it?

No. When they kill more than they can eat in one sitting, the pack usually comes back for second helpings. Wolves achieve a very low yield on hunting expeditions in the wild; somewhere between 4 percent and 8 percent of their attacks are successful.

#8 ·
RandyWakeman said:
MtnOak said:
jpickar said:
Moffett said:
Wolves and cats kill for fun. We can't have more predators than game animals. A bear will kill anything but damn sure will eat it on the spot.
Anyone else flunk basic biology and history? :shock:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/200 ... sport.html

A Los Angeles Times stor y about the hunt claims that wolves are known to kill for "pure pleasure." Do wolves really attack their prey just for the fun of it?

No. When they kill more than they can eat in one sitting, the pack usually comes back for second helpings. Wolves achieve a very low yield on hunting expeditions in the wild; somewhere between 4 percent and 8 percent of their attacks are successful.
We believed that "biology" crap too at first until we saw the evidence from photos taken of the massacre.

#9 ·
When Buffalo Bill killed 4,280 buffalo in 18 months. it wasn't Bill Cody at all . . . just a couple of wolves with a sense of humor. The six million Jews murdered in Europe by Nazi Germany? Nope, just a couple of bored wolves looking for entertainment. The eradication of the American Indian, and a goodly portion of Chinese-Americans? Just a few comedic wolves, again.

When 20,000,000 doves are shot every year, it isn't really humans . . . just a few giggling wolves that are uncommonly good jumpers.

#10 · (Edited)
All I will add to this is that wolves are obviously not as tenacious or smart as coyotes. Coyotes have been hunted for the longest time for their pelts, and to try and minimize or eradicate them. They have been hunted in every conceivable way from ground and air for bounty & sport. They have also been gassed, poisoned, dens flooded, etc., etc.

Yet, we have more coyotes in all 48 contiguous states than ever! They are found in rural as well as suburban and even city surroundings!

Good thing that wolves are not as smart to have adapted, survived and even prospered like the lowly coyote!

#11 ·
I hate to burst your bubble, wolves are smarter and more tenacious than coyotes. You very seldom can call in wolves anymore. They are much harder to trap than coyotes. I live with wolves and grizzly bears, coyotes and mountain lions going through my yard. The only animal that I have seen tracks of and not on my trail cam or seen in person is the wolf.

#13 ·
#14 ·
RandyWakeman said:
When Buffalo Bill killed 4,280 buffalo in 18 months. it wasn't Bill Cody at all . . . just a couple of wolves with a sense of humor. The six million Jews murdered in Europe by Nazi Germany? Nope, just a couple of bored wolves looking for entertainment. The eradication of the American Indian, and a goodly portion of Chinese-Americans? Just a few comedic wolves, again.

When 20,000,000 doves are shot every year, it isn't really humans . . . just a few giggling wolves that are uncommonly good jumpers.
What on earth???

#15 ·
This issue always ends up from the wolf angle alone, either good or bad, when really the important point to understand, to me, is that the habitat has both changed and received limits due to human expansion.
Plus, wolves are not good or bad...they are wolves.

You can look at areas of WY, for example, and say....plenty of room for wolves.
But, is there?...how much change has happened for a species that does not exist w/o often extreme movement?
How much easy-er food is available and so on?
What new normal balance in nature was created by Time and is now negatively impacted by wolves?

The truth seems to be that the time of the wolf has passed in many of it's traditional areas and for Man to play savior in this case....is doing no favors for anyone.
Except a good feeling for those playing Savior, perhaps.

Aldo Leoplod began his career as not a fan of wolves.
Then, being a thinker, he adopted what was his "fierce, green fire" thoughts.
Were Leopold alive today, I can't help believe that such a thinker would look at reality and find an option besides dropping wolves in areas simply because they are traditional grounds or "look" wolf-y.
Too many today do not think...they simply wish to be a savior.....or a slayer.

#17 ·
oyeme said:
Randy, thanks for that article. {hs#

It had some very interesting information presented, much of which I was unaware.[/quote]

National Geographic has very good, well-researched coyote information as well. Humans kill over 400,000 coyotes every year, about 80,000 of which are exterminated by the U.S. federal government, according to National Geographic, but still coyotes thrive. Currently, coyotes are in 49 states.

As far as being 'smart' there is scant little dumb about a fox, coyote, or wolf. A better assessment is referring to the coyote as the most successful and adaptable of the three by a large margin.

#18 ·
RandyWakeman said:
oyeme said:
Randy, thanks for that article. {hs#

It had some very interesting information presented, much of which I was unaware.
National Geographic has very good, well-researched coyote information as well. Humans kill over 400,000 coyotes every year, about 80,000 of which are exterminated by the U.S. federal government, according to National Geographic, but still coyotes thrive. Currently, coyotes are in 49 states.

As far as being 'smart' there is scant little dumb about a fox, coyote, or wolf. A better assessment is referring to the coyote as the most successful and adaptable of the three by a large margin.[/quote]

I can totally agree with your last paragraph.

#20 ·
Here, deerhunters often say the same about lost or straying dogs...of any kind, any reason.
One deer hunter made the news several years ago when he was caught....it was discovered he kept dog collars as trophies here in Ohio.
All kinds of people are out there...some are hunters.

The 3Ss has been a stupid and selfish answer to, at times, a legitimate problem.
Not surprised to see it mentioned once again......re wolves or other.

#21 ·
Buffalo were completely wasted for sport and that is a shame we‘ll never see heards as big as they once were but Wolves were hunted down to near extinction for a reason, they weren’t being hunted for fun, those guys back then had a reason that served a purpose, and today’s wolves are proving why those guys back in the day went after them the way they did.
Elk numbers are way down in those states a wolf was reintroduced in and proven that wolves don’t just kill to survive but kill for fun and not coming back and eating those kill for fun carcasses…..
I hunt out there and know several who live in those states and none of them want a wolf left alive….

#22 ·
They tried to reintroduce red wolves here in SC & also in NC. It didn't work here & I don't think it fared much better in NC. They classify anything that doesn't originate in an environment as an invasive species. Coyotes, armadillos & hogs are classified as invasive species. So how long does it take to establish an environment? Living things have been evolving & migrating since the first ameba emerged in the prehistoric ocean. Man's attempt to introduce new species in some areas has been a great success but it has also been a colossal failure. I think the failures out number the success stories. I would call a wolf an invasive species in an environment that hasn't seen a wolf in hundreds of years! So you are going to tax me to introduce an indiscriminate killer to a closely regulated environment that will destroy our natural wildlife resources, kill our livestock, and , yes, kill our dogs too if the opportunity is presented? No politician that supports such an experiment will get my vote!!

#24 · (Edited)
The Gray Wolf is a Colorado native. i would rather have a million of those instead of the million Californians that wandered in here. Humans destroy the enviroment far greater than animals do. The decision to reintroduce them passed on a State ballot issue, in other words the residents of Colorado have spoken, it’s that democracy thing at work here.

The State has been trying to correct various mistakes made before most of us were born and we now have an abundance of elk, deer, moose, big horns and antelope because of these efforts.

Wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone 20 years ago and I have seen gray wolves as far South as Durango driving through there 7 years ago,

#25 · (Edited)
Those Californians are invasive species to Colorado and a big reason why they are being reintroduced there 😁

The other side to it , I have friends in California or from California that elk hunt in Colorado and they are against wolves reintroduced out there too, they know what the outcome will be.

#32 ·
I could not care more or less, but hunters have an image the public sees and you express the worst of it. When non hunters see people like you express the “kill ‘em all” attitude, they want to take your hunting rights and everyone else’s away. Have a nice day.

#33 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.