ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: grizzly vs slug or grizzly vs bullet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:12 pm 
Field Grade

what will take that beast down quicker when it suddenly decides to turn nasty within 100 yards? a 30 cal bullet or 12 gauge slug?

Post subject: Re: grizzly vs slug or grizzly vs bullet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Out of those two, I'd say the 12 Gauge slug 3 inch slug and many for back up. There are some pretty interesting threads on this topic. Personally, If I thought I might be encountering a grizzly bear, I'd have something like a 45-70 Gov't. I don't think I'll be in grizzly bear territory for a while, at least I hope not.

UMH

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Is this just a trivia question or are you planning a hunt?

A lot of things have been used, but a .375 H & H or better is most often suggested.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:03 am 
Diamond Grade

It depends on what you're doing and how accessible the weapon is,some times a hand gun will be better.

Maltz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:20 am 
Field Grade

im in canada. handguns unfortunately are not allowed outside the range, which is bs. so ive heard from the majority of people that a 12 slug would have the most stopping power. randy wakeman is the only one who has disagreed. were talking close range, last minute decision and last resort. firing multiple rounds. what will truely stop a large bear in its tracks? my logic says a projectile with a larger diameter than most big caliber rifles will have a greater impact and a larger exit wound, thus more damage inflicted. regardless if its a vital shot or not, would a 12 gauge slug not be more efficient than any rifle bullet considering the situation? close range with immediate stopping power being the essential component.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:09 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Big bears do not die quickly. You're talking a different metabolism and central nervous system than deer family animals, including elk and moose. A brown bear is of course essentially a grizzly bear that eats fish.

Even with multiple lethal, well-placed shots, a grizzly bear isn't going to just fall over. If you study up on the animal, it will become clear. The idea of "close-range last-resort up close and personal" doesn't work well, it doesn't work at all. Consider: http://www.grizzlybay.org/LearnMore/AreGrizzliesDangerous.html.

Hurt a big animal, what do you expect? The best answer is awareness and avoidance. The only suitable "bear protection" cartridge is what you would use to hunt them with in the first place. They are predators, unlike the far more sedate, foraging and berry-eating black bears.

A wounded bear is no joke. Considered dangerous game, that's why you have back up shooters. Bears can be blazingly fast as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:40 am 
Field Grade

well u did not answer the question directly. what u say is true, except what on earth does metabolism have to do with nething. u say the best cartridge is what u would hunt them with. some people use slugs.

so the question u have still not answered is, what has more stopping power balistic's wise?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:50 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

A high sectional density rifle bullet with controlled expansion with no doubt-- no contest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:54 am 
Field Grade

ok so a fat slug wont be able to penetrate into the vitals? what u think about a blinding buckshot in the eyes if thats all u had at the time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:31 am 
Diamond Grade

Your world and my world will be closer to the same than those in the lower 48 so I have some reading for you on the matter.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... -and-slugs

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... guns-again!

What ever you decide to use weather it be a shotgun or rifle,you better be doggon sure you can use it,hit with it and do it very fast.

A big brownie 50 yards away charging you will be on you in a matter of seconds.

Maltz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

At 100 yards!!??? No question, .30 cal. with great bullets, ie. .300 weatherby,ultra mag or the likes and swift a-frames, barnes triple shock, or such. Only a young man would intentionally hunt grizzly bear with a shotgun. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:17 am 
Crown Grade

Randy is 100% on. I was briefed about Grizzly when I camped in Yellowstone backwoods a few years back. You couldn't carry back then or it was really restrictive to carry, and now I think you can. They can run over 30 MPH. Best case is avoidance. But gun wise, you want something with the most energy and stopping power to make the biggest hole possible. Buck shot ain't gonna cut it. If I were serious about it, I'd have back up shooters and basically unlimited resources for the gun I would need. I would have a gun specifically engineered to drop a beast of such magnitude. A 3 inch slug would do damage but I'd go with rifled, and multiple would be needed. A high-powered rifle is your best bet overall.

UMH

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:06 am 
Field Grade

so wtf is ur decision? rifle or slug geez!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:08 am 
Field Grade

ur making them sound the same. so ud go with this, but particularly this. but definately this... cumon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:09 am 
Diamond Grade

OK ghilli, you're gonna love this one!
Quoted from this month's NRA "The Armed Citizen":
"In February an NRA-supported federal law went into effect permitting people who may legally carry firearms to do so in many previously gun-free national parks. Three months later, a backpacker chose to exercise the new right while hiking in Alaska’s Denali National Park. His decision and the new law likely saved his life and that of the female hiker accompanying him. They discovered bear sign and went on high alert. The bear, a grizzly, quickly emerged and charged the female hiker. The male drew a .45 ACP pistol (emphasis mine) and fired about nine shots, killing the bear. (Daily News-Miner, Fairbanks, AK, 05/30/10)"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:29 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The NRA version isn't what happened.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2010/05/grizzly-bear-shot-and-killed-hikers-denali-national-park-and-preserve5943?page=1.

Nine shots were fired "in the general direction" of the bear. Bear walked back into the bush. Not exactly a bear attack, nor was there any clarity as to if the bear was actually hit, much less killed.

The bear was found the next day.

Original story: http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/7750458/article-Grizzly-bear-shot--killed-in-Denali-National-Park?instance=home_most_popular5#ixzz0pzuZXtzC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Quote:
Until February, when Congress changed the rules, it was illegal to carry a loaded firearm in that portion of Denali. While the rule change now allows hikers to carry firearms in all areas of Denali, it still is illegal to discharge them, park officials said.

This the B E S T part of it all {F* {F* {F* {F* {F* {F*

Maltz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

"The bear was found dead in a willow thicket approximately 100 feet from the pistol casings..."
quoted from:
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... 943?page=1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:57 pm 
Crown Grade

d

Last edited by chucka on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Chucka, +11111111! That about says it all.