ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Your buckshot field experience
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:53 pm 
Limited Edition

geometric wrote:
One thing I would like to point out. Distance can be very deceptive. As a professional Land Surveyor, I have measured distances for a living most of my life. It can fool the best of us! I have had people get really hostile when I asked them how they knew how far the game was when they killed it. Unless you measure it, under the best case scenario, it is a good estimate. The worst case is a wild, wishful guess! Some people can pace distances fairly accurately, most can not. A pace does not equal a yard in most instances, especially over rough ground! When you pull the tape on those 60 yd. shots, quite often you find they are closer to 50 yds. & the shots you thought were 50 yards, were actually more like 40 yards!

WOW!........Now you want us to tote tape measures? A good hunter with experience can step it off or usually call it to within a few feet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:13 am 
Crown Grade

You don't need a tape measure unless you want to know the distance. Did you ever count your paces in a measured 100 yds. & calculate the average length of your pace? Pacing is a form of measurement but it is one of the least accurate even when done correctly. It is very hard to do consistently over rough ground. Experienced hunters generally have a pretty good grasp of when something is in their kill zone but commonly can't put a very good number on how many feet or yards it is to their target. It is easy to be off 5 or 10 yds. which equates to a lot of error compared to the range of a shotgun. I don't carry a tape hunting either. I do measure the distance when I test a load or do pattern testing. The point I am making is the range people think they are killing game is an estimate which is commonly not realistic. If your judgement of how far you can kill something works for you, great, go for it. To evaluate how far a load is consistently effective requires accurate data. Guessing & wishful thinking usually incorporates. large errors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:30 pm 
Utility Grade

geometric wrote:
You don't need a tape measure unless you want to know the distance. Did you ever count your paces in a measured 100 yds. & calculate the average length of your pace? Pacing is a form of measurement but it is one of the least accurate even when done correctly. It is very hard to do consistently over rough ground. Experienced hunters generally have a pretty good grasp of when something is in their kill zone but commonly can't put a very good number on how many feet or yards it is to their target. It is easy to be off 5 or 10 yds. which equates to a lot of error compared to the range of a shotgun. I don't carry a tape hunting either. I do measure the distance when I test a load or do pattern testing. The point I am making is the range people think they are killing game is an estimate which is commonly not realistic. If your judgement of how far you can kill something works for you, great, go for it. To evaluate how far a load is consistently effective requires accurate data. Guessing & wishful thinking usually incorporates. large errors.

I'll admit to misjudging distances and have it 10yds further than I thought..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't hunt deer exclusively. I will kill one or two deer on a typical year. When I was younger, it was mostly with buckshot & hounds. Now it is mostly stand hunting with rifles. I hunted with my brother's father in law years ago. He usually killed over 20 deer a year with his 16 ga. Sterlingworth Fox using #1 buckshot. How far buckshot will kill deer is a variable but it has limitations. Buckshot is a multiple hit killer. One number 4 lead pellet is not a reliable mallard killer. 4 or 5 #4 lead pellets will generally stone them. If you kill a deer with 1 buckshot, you have a horse shoe stuck somewhere. Should you put most of a load of "OO" buck in a deer's heart/ lung area in range, the only direction he is going is down! The 3 main variables are pattern density, pellet energy & placement of the shot. There is a tremendous difference between how guns pattern buckshot & not all guns will produce effective buckshot patterns. Just like with a rifle, a gut shot or shot in the butt isn't likely to produce good results. How many buckshot depends on what size, where they hit & pellet energy/velocity. Obviously, you need to hit them with enough pellets. How many is debatable. I like to see 8, "OO" or "OOO" in the vitals but I don't know of any research that has ever been done to determine the number needed. There also has to be enough pellet energy to penetrate to the vitals & do enough damage to kill. Personally, I prefer to have more than enough vs a questionable number. I hate to think about how many deer my brothers father-in-law crippled & mortally wounded. Lacking definitive tests, all I have to go on is my experience & what I have learned from others. Deer I have shot & seen shot & well hit up to a estimated 40 yards have died instantly in almost all cases. Over 40 yds. & up to an estimated 50 yds., deer hit with 8 or more "OO" buck don't usually die instantly but don't go far. Yes, I can kill deer 60 yds. & over with buckshot, sometimes! Sometimes doesn't cut it for me & deer shot at such ranges are often shot numerous times before they are finally killed! I don't think that is ethical hunting! Keep in mind that the maximum range experience I refer to is with very tight patterning 10 ga. loads of 16, buffered "OOO" buckshot. I would not shoot at a deer over 40 yds., even with a good patterning load of 9, "OO" in a standard 12 ga. load. I think loads should be evaluated on an individual basis. That is just my opinion but it is based on my experience & the experience of others.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good post, geo, on point and informative. I agree, FWIW with my limited buckshot experience.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Without reading anyone else's experiences his some of mine.
I've killed Falow, Goats and many pigs with buckshot.
I don't like 00 or bigger I find SG or 00/SG to be perfect, that's a British size that fits 18 pellets in a cartridge.
The reason, it out patterns anything else and has the weight to penetrate and the pattern to put pellets where they are needed.
I've never had DRT with buckshot but I've never had to do any tracking either, things hit tend to pull up very quick as it dumps its energy over a larger area or at least that's my thoughts.
Watching some deer drives for Roe deer in Europe, they hunt them with #2 shot and get very similar performance.
8n really thick country buckshot comes into its own, I love jumping game in thick cover, it really gets the blood pumping.
I've done good with AAA and even #4 buckshot but I find the SSG size perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Different folks have different experiences. Years ago, before shot protectors & more importantly, before the common use of buffer, it was much more difficult to get good buckshot patterns. Obviously, to kill anything you have to put pellets on target & the more pellets you throw out there, every thing else being equal, the better chance you have of hitting the target with a lethal number of pellets. However, all things are rarely equal. Some of the things that vary a lot are pellet size, range, size a veracity of the game & patterning characteristics of the load & the shotgun. I am not familiar with British buckshot sizes but I shot US # 1 (0.30") fairly often in years past. It works at the closer buckshot ranges for deer but has never been impressive in my experience. I don't shoot deer with anything smaller than "OO" these days. I find that bigger buckshot tracks straighter & I can put more buffered "OO" on target, farther & it is much more lethal. I have never shot a hog with buckshot & don't ever intend to do so. I have witnessed others do it on numerous occasions & I never saw one killed cleanly with one shot. All took multiple shots at point blank range. It would have been more humane to have clubbed the hapless critters to death with a baseball bat!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7