ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deer Caddys
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:38 am 
Field Grade

I have seen these things advertise on TV.was wondering how you go about where you can find them.They look like you mount them on the atv rack and use the winch to pick up the game for you.Also do they work & will they fit on a side by side.Due to recent injury I need help picking up my game the deer caddy looks like it could work..any help will be helpful
thank you

Post subject: re: Deer Caddys
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:53 am 
Diamond Grade

I've never used one or seen one used. I hunt alone and have got by for years with one of the cheap $10-20 plastic sleds. Just spend some time lashing you deer down good and make sure the head is lashed acrossed the top to keep from getting damaged from mud and trees. Sometimes it's not possible to get the ATV close to the deer anyway so it will have to be dragged a ways anyway. Then I use the ATV to haul it out. Another cheaper option is to use a $10-15 block and tacke and hoist it up and back under it, then lower it onto the ATV and lash it down.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:38 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the advice but those two ideas I have thougt of but don't work for me due to my injury...I lost my fingers and some arm strength due to a work related fire...I have seen the caddys on hunting shows on TV and figure they would work.
Thank you for the advice....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pudoo,

I went through this search a few years ago. Where I hunt, I can't take a quad-runner, so when I walk in for the day...I stay in...

I looked through Cabela's and then found a new unit on eBay that meets my needs.

I bought my own wheels for it at TractorSupply to save on shome shipping. I've got about $75 tied up in it.

I hope this helps.

Maggs.

Post subject: Re: Deer Caddys
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:56 am 
Utility Grade

Sorry for bumping...just want to share my experience...

I really did it last years before the rifle season. There is an example on which I look upon http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-deer-hoist/ It uses a sliding snow mounting bracket (I think) on the underside of the of the 4-wheeler. I simply unscrew the blade and unhook the springs, and then push the caddy back and connect the chains where the springs are for the plow too.

usually have a weight of about 250lbs, which sits on the rear rack for extra thrust for pushing snow, and it also counter-weights the weight of the deer. It works great! Used it twice last year. Thinking about buying an expanded metal and welding it inside, so I can use it to transport other things.

The only thing I had to buy was an angled iron for the outer frame of the caddy itself. Everything else was a crowbar (with the exception of the mounting bracket that goes to the 4-wheeled car, it is obvious that it appeared with a blade when we received it).

Last edited by Vicoks on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Vicoks wrote:
Sorry for bumping...just want to share my experience...

I really did it last year before the rifle season. It uses a sliding snow mounting bracket (I think) on the underside of the of the 4-wheeler. I simply unscrew the blade and unhook the springs, and then push the caddy back and connect the chains where the springs are for the plow too.

usually have a weight of about 250lbs, which sits on the rear rack for extra thrust for pushing snow, and it also counter-weights the weight of the deer. It works great! Used it twice last year. Thinking about buying an expanded metal and welding it inside, so I can use it to transport other things.

The only thing I had to buy was an angled iron for the outer frame of the caddy itself. Everything else was a crowbar (with the exception of the mounting bracket that goes to the 4-wheeled car, it is obvious that it appeared with a blade when we received it).

Got a picture of that?

Thanks,
Maggs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 am 
Utility Grade

I can't find pictures on my laptop (i will try to find tomorrow) but I have photos from my buddy that helped me put together the construction, attached them to my post above

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That looks handy! For some of the properties that I hunt, I could put something like that together.

Great idea.

Maggs