ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: BRAGGING BOARD
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Some sheds I found with pretty big bases.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I had to wait until my wife could post these photos. I am not capable.

The deer skull I did not want lying around so I assisted my brother in law in making the sycamore stand, it is about 33x16 inches.

The sheds I found a number of years ago, one after I burned my CRP tall prairie grass. I find several a year but harder when I do not burn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Went elk hunting Monday the 5th in the mountains above town. I stopped in a open area in my pickup, while I was waiting for the sun to create shooting light. As the sun was doing just that, I noticed a shape moving about 150 yards in front of me. When I put my binocs on it, the shape turned into an elk. I could tell it was a bull moving slowly, which is uncharacteristic of elk behavior as close as he was to me. I had a feeling the elk had been wounded recently. Before the elk reached the trees, it became light enough to shoot, so I exited my truck and shot 3 times, the range was a little too far for my Handi 44 mag, but I felt I had no choice. One obvious hit. The elk continued to move slowly, behavior I have never observed, so I was more convinced he had been wounded before. He entered the trees, so I decided to wait an hour before I followed him there.

When I entered the trees an hour later, I found him laying down 50 yards inside the trees, unable to rise. A 335 gr. Beartooth Bullet hardcast put an end to it. Turns out he had been wounded in the paunch, but when I opened him up, nothing smelled sour. The meat looked good.

As a precaution, I took the head to the Game and Fish office to have the lymph nodes removed and tested for chronic wasting disease. He was a 6X5.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congrats on a job well done. I hate to think of a wounded and suffering game animal, especially a big game animal and a gutshot one at that. I suppose it's part of hunting, but all good sportsmen will do their best to avoid it.

Hope your elk turns out to be free of CWD. Let us know what the game & fish people tell you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nicely done. Good job on the humane recovery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:20 pm 
Limited Edition

One of our California pests now in the freezer.

Attachment:
Wild sow r.jpg

tp

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Looong snout on that there hog, T-P. Lots of Russian razorback blood in him. Should be good eating. Congrats.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:30 pm 
Limited Edition

240# of California Russian Boar sow with an inch of fat on her and she never saw me sneaking in at 40 yds.
Tasty? You betcha!

tp (picking his teeth)

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 am 
Tournament Grade

lossking wrote:
Congrats on a job well done. I hate to think of a wounded and suffering game animal, especially a big game animal and a gutshot one at that. I suppose it's part of hunting, but all good sportsmen will do their best to avoid it.

Hope your elk turns out to be free of CWD. Let us know what the game & fish people tell you.

Went to the game and fish website on Friday, hit the CWD tab, punched in my name and birthdate to get the results. Elk was negative. Good thing, too. I'd already eaten two packages of the meat. The burger, superb on the grill. The steak, also on the grill, just a little tough. Great wild game flavor, though.