ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Silver Hunter cocking difficulties
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:19 am 
Field Grade

Hello, just bought a 20 G silver Hunter for my SO. Gun fits her great, one small problem..The charging handle is very hard for her to pull back, it is very small and the spring tension is high. Does anyone else have or had this problem? Any solutions?

Thank you,

Mike

Post subject: Re: Browning Silver Hunter cocking difficulties
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike,

You might get more responses if you also post your question in the Shotgun Gunsmithing forum above.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:34 pm 
Crown Grade

I'd shoot about 100 rounds of fairly hot/heavy loads through it. (You - not her). And make sure you clean it good first.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hennigm4 wrote:
Hello, just bought a 20 G silver Hunter for my SO. Gun fits her great, one small problem..The charging handle is very hard for her to pull back, it is very small and the spring tension is high. Does anyone else have or had this problem? Any solutions?

Thank you,

Mike

My first suggestion would be to remove the recoil (action) spring and clean it thoroughly and the tube it runs in. Then lubricate it lightly with lightweight gun oil. I'm assuming that this recoil spring is in the buttstock as it is on most autoloading shotguns.

Also clean the inside of the receiver thoroughly and lightly lubricate it, especially the bolt rails.

Finally, I would look for an enlarged bolt handle. This would make it easier to get hold of for retraction of the bolt.

A bit of practice might help also since it is a somewhat awkward motion for someone not used to it. Perhaps bracing the butt of the gun on her upper thigh or hipbone area while retracting the bolt would help. I see some guys doing the same (bracing) thing when retracting the bolt.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.