ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What gun to you recommend for a beginner?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:07 pm 
Field Grade

I have a female friend that wants to join the boys on the sporting clays course, and I’m trying to pick out a gun for her. I’d like it if I could fit her with a gun for < $1,000. Semi-auto is fine.

She’s about 5’7” and thin. She’s needs a gun designed for women or youth. She shot a Benelli 12 ga semi-auto and it was too much. She shot my Browning 625 20 ga and said she didnt’ have any problem with that, although I wasn’t there to check the fit.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: What gun to you recommend for a beginner?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Syren by Fabarm comes to mind as a clays gun, specifically designed for women.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

It may not fall under the 1,000 mark however.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Franchi Catalyst comes to mind also.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

trevijazz wrote:
The Franchi Catalyst comes to mind also.

Yeah but inertia driven so maybe no advantage of reducing recoil like a gas auto.

How ‘bout a gas operated 20 like a Mossberg SA-20 or Tristar Viper?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:45 am 
Diamond Grade

Look for a used A-400 and have it fit. She'll have no problems with a 12ga in this gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Same response as to the question on the sporting clay board, have her reach out to some women who shoot, there will be some at the club you go to, and ask them what they shoot and if she can try their guns. Once she decides, get it fitted. The brand or type she buys for her first gun doesn't matter as long as it fits her. MAJ

Last edited by MAJENKINS on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:42 am 
Tournament Grade

I looked to see where you are located but you didn't share that info. If you live anywhere near me, Trinidad, CO, you could bring her by and shoot a half dozen guns of my wife's, all semi-autos. She is also 5'7" and thin. I have a few O/U's that might fit also.

If elsewhere in Colorado, I can refer you a number of different clubs that have some excellent loaner guns for her to try. I might have a idea for Kansas and New Mexico also. I'll bet there is a club or facility near you that will give her additional opportunities. Look on NSCA-NSSA web site under instructors and contact one of them for suggestions on where to go. I'd be willing to bet ATA has a list also.

Fit and comfort are the only way to go if you want to have a shooting partner for years.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a female friend who is like 5'4 and thin. She shoots a Beretta 3901 RL 12ga. which has a youth length stock and adjustable buttplate and comb. She does fine. If your friend is having trouble its just gun fit and likely not because its a 12ga. Like others have said there are many well affordable and reliable semis for under 1k that comes with youth stocks and shims for some minor fitment. I don't have personal experience with it, but many people say good things about those Tristar Viper G2s. You could probably snag one of those and have plenty left over to have the gun properly fitted. Maybe if you're lucky the shims may not be needed or is enough to get the fit you need.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:33 am 
Utility Grade

I started two of my daughters out on a Beretta 391 12ga and 390 20ga both with reduced length (RL) stocks. I highly recommend asking about a local gunsmith that can then do a basic fitting as I have found it impossible to find an off the shelf gun that will fit them. Syren being the exception, but not for <$1000.