ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions please - shotgun for young woman starting out
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:37 pm 
Field Grade

Hello

I have a friend who wants to take up waterfowl and dove hunting and she wants to buy her own shotgun (12 gauge). She is 24 and just starting out so she’s not ready for a high $ gun.

What is an economical and trustworthy 12 gauge?

Thanks for any responses.

Post subject: Re: Opinions please - shotgun for young woman starting out
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:36 pm 
Limited Edition

https://www.franchiusa.com/affinity-catalyst-shotgun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Maybe a Remington V3 if she can handle the 7 lb. weight. Softer shooting than any inertia type of gun especially with duck loads she will be shooting. The butt stock can be altered easily & inexpensively for length or comb height since it does not have any action spring tube inside.

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/auto ... ort-walnut

Or maybe a Tristar G2 Wood model including the Bronze model shown below. Proven reliable regardless of what some may say about Turkish built guns and excellent value for price. Again gas operated for lessened recoil sensation.

https://www.tristararms.com/products/se ... g2-bronze/

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:17 am 
Diamond Grade

A gun that fits!....what LOP does she need?
SX4 Compact with 13" LOP may be a perfect choice... and it's a light gun.
The SX3 or 4 with 14 1/4 LOP with the 26 barely if it fits her.
These are soft shooting guns.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've heard nothing but good on this site about
Tri-Star Viper

I own and shoot some higher end guns, but am considering getting a Viper

in 410, 28 ga to play with

May be a good starter for her

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Danst,

I would recommend you/she also take a good look at the Beretta A300. We have these available at our club for rental. They are incredibly reliable. Another benefit...the stock is very adjustable via shims included with the gun, as well as additional shims that can be purchased from Cole's or other Beretta dealers that allow for increased cast and drop at comb heal if needed. Gas operation will also help reduce perceived recoil.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How tall is your friend. Her height will give us a general idea of how well guns will fit her.

"Fit" describes how well a gun's stock dimensions and weight match the size and shape of the shooter. The different physical characteristics of women result if few of any off-the-rack shotguns have stocks that fit women. (The stocks on most shotguns are manufacturers' choice of dimensions for 5' 10" men weighing 160 pounds.)

Unless the gun fits the shooter, felt recoil will be increased, often painfully and shooting success will be diminished, often to the point where the shooter will have difficulty hitting much of anything.

Fit should be your first consideration when helping your friend find the best gun.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 am 
Utility Grade

I would recommend a Beretta 390 or 391 and then find a local gunsmith to do an initial gun-fitting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:25 pm 
Crown Grade

A gas operated semi auto that FITS her. Painful shooting if it can not be made to fit her. A Beretta would be great, Remington good but maybe a little heavy. Winchester might also be a few ounces heavy, don't know anything about Tristar. If bought right any of these will hold their value pretty well, allowing you to move to s different one if you just can't get the fit right on the first try.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Another V3 vote IF she can handle the weight and it fits. Compared to a lot of 12s those things don`t " kick ", they "shove". Price is right too. I don`t know that she hunts, but when it comes to guns and female shooters, at least consider what Mary Ann Jenkins ( MAJ ) has to say if she chimes in.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tidefanatic wrote:
Another V3 vote IF she can handle the weight and it fits. Compared to a lot of 12s those things don`t " kick ", they "shove". Price is right too. I don`t know that she hunts, but when it comes to guns and female shooters, at least consider what Mary Ann Jenkins ( MAJ ) has to say if she chimes in.

Well Tide, fro a starter gun, I agree on a semi-automatic, even though I'm not personally a fan of the same. She can get a really good gun for less dollars than an O/U. Whatever the young lady gets, make sure it fits. Fit is always the key. MAJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:41 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

kampfbund wrote:
I would recommend a Beretta 390 or 391 and then find a local gunsmith to do an initial gun-fitting.

I agree with the gun suggestions, but very few local gunsmiths can fit a shotgun.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Beretta 300 outlander synthetic. Fully adjustable LOP from 13”-15”. Adjustable for drop from 40-65mm.
$600 brand new On gunbroker. Best new gun value out there.
Cycles everything. Reliable. Easy to service and replace parts if needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:55 am 
Diamond Grade

I think, an older Beretta 391, newer Beretta 300 or 400 (depending on how much you want to spend) would be your best options.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:04 am 
Crown Grade

My wife likes her green Beretta A400 Xplor Unico with the KO system. Light enough for no fatigue @7#, but the gas action and KO do a great job of helping to mitigate recoil. Adjusting the shims to fit her means her success rate is high. Any gun of similar basic design, once properly adjusted to fit, should do well for her intended purposes.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:26 am 
Limited Edition

Consider a youth model if you located one. The stock dimensions may be better for her if she is not a large person.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The OP hasn't visited SGW in over a year and probably isn't shooting, or doing anything else, with his lady friend by now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:10 am 
Utility Grade

To piggyback off this topic since OP has gone: My wife is 5 Feet tall, about 100 pounds. I found a nice graph in an article on herosarms.com that correlated height to LOP and (although the graph only went down to 5’3” or so) she extrapolated to somewhere around 13.25-13.5 LOP. This is probably closer to a youth stock size. She isn’t puny but I wonder if weight of the gun will be a factor as well. She has shot my full size 12 gauge citori a time or two and tolerates the recoil but surely would want something more gentle to shoot throughout the day. Does anyone know if the Beretta kickoff stocks can adjust down to 13” lop? Any good recs from folks who have tiny wives or daughters? Other ideas are Remington 11-48 youth in 20, and I see above where beretta a300 can adjust down to 13” or a al390/391 with stock cut. If she loves it then maybe move her up to one the beretta lady specific o/u.

THanks in advance!