ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A challenging woman to fit a shotgun too...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:44 pm 
Field Grade

So the Mrs is showing intrest in shooting. She doesnt like the weight of my 725 sporting, likes the weight of 20s. Shes preferd o/u for simplicity and safety. Challenge being she is 6 ft tall, slender, large chested and has a very long neck. Not the norm of guns designed for women which are normally shorter lop etc.With my 725 level with her shoulder shes a good 4-5 inches to eye. I could see a cz sterling type stock as a place to start but a cz isnt gettin me excited... Im guessing a adj butt and comb are in order. Open for ideas from people expeirienced in her area. Lookin to spend 1500. She kinda likes a browning special sporting we found but im not sure we can get it to her face!

Post subject: Re: A challenging woman to fit a shotgun too...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a very similar problem
Well I almost 6 foot slender with a long neck (just not Chesty because I am a man)

But I played hell getting a stock to fit me (and look good to) I have all the ugly adjustable stuff

I finally put a trap stock on my one gun then almost mirrored the dimensions on my sporting gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:34 am 
Diamond Grade

You likely need a fully adjustable gun like the SKB 90 TSS. Pitch the toe out to clear the chest, set the LOP as needed and height of pad as needed, set cast and height on comb to get POI desired. These guns are heavy though so she may not like that.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101102337

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The stock dimensions on ANY gun she shoots will need to be changed. The comb will need raising, the recoil pad will need to be lowered and the pitch will need to be changed/increased.

Ideally, a high rib gun would be the place to start because their stocks do not angle down from the barrels as much as they do on low rib guns.

Even with a high rib gun, a pad/stock adjuster (to lower the recoil pad) will need to be installed and the stock'spitch corrected when the adjuster and an adjustable comb are installed if the factory gun did not come with an adjustable comb.

The LOP/length of pull (stock length) can be changed, if necessary, when the other dimensions are corrected. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how closely the original stock's length might fit.

If she will be shooting wearing a shooting vest, she coule raise her gun mount so about an inch of the recoil pad is extending above her collarbone. T

That would reduce the distance that the recoil pad would need to be lowered with the pad adjuster and would be beneficial because the more the pad needs to be lowered, the greater would be the barrel rise during recoil.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Rolland good input as usual. If you look at the link I posted you will see all the attributes you suggest other than ability to set the pitch. That would require recutting stock but I bet you’d get something pretty serviceable as supplied with proper adjustment. The new SKBs wont break the bank and they have lots of adjustment in both the O/U and the target semiautomatic. There seems to be some up take in the youth trap games and if you are not a super duper registered guy they seem durable enough. As noted, O/U is heavy with all that hardware and that’s not necessarily a bad thing but you do have to be able to hold the gun up.

https://www.skbshotguns.com/shotguns/90tss-sporting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:10 pm 
Field Grade

The mrs ended up liking the recoil of autos better. I ended up buying a a400 excel off the classifieds with 28 inch tubes. May take out the recoil reducer in stock if its too heavy. I also ordered a wenig ladies stock, high comb model with extra length. Got the machined/inleted one so i can carve on it till it fits. After we get that done, i plan to finish with hand rubbed oil.