ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Checkering and Stippling Services
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

First let me tell you a little about my background and experience in this field. I graduated in 11' from the Colorado School of Trades which is one of the premier gunsmithing schools in the U.S. One of the things I learned while there was how to checker although at the time I wasnt comfortable with my checkering abilities to do guns, now after doing a bit of work I feel comfortable and confident in my abilities. After school I began apprenticing under a high end gun builder specializing in big bore doubles, single shot falling blocks, double falling blocks, and some SxS shotguns. After he threw me under the bus and had me checker a stock he said I was going to be checkering from now on. Im not at the level of the greats like Jerry Fisher, but with more experience...You will get a end result that looks great.

The type of checkering I will do:
Typically I like to do simple point patterns. Ive done a few wrap-around patterns and will do that type for an additional cost from what I list below. For a standard pattern; two panels on the grip and two panels on the forend I will charge $250. I will also be offering to deepen/sharpening and bring-to-point services on guns that are already checkered but need restored/rerfreshed. Prices will vary by the job depending on the current condition of the checkering, the more worn it is the higher the cost.

I will checker laminate stocks although laminate doesnt hold checkering very well. Typically laminate checkering is much more brittle and the points can break off easier. Also being a much harder material it is much harder to checker well.

A much better option is to stipple laminate. Its an acquired taste, but offers plenty of grip and is a little more durable. I havent tried doing this on a synthetic stock, but I cant see why it wont work. Stippling will run $150 on long gun stocks for similar coverage. Stippling can be done to laminate, wood, or synthetic stocks.

Things I wont do:
-I do not do carving or any type of fleur-de-lis patterns. I will refresh and sharpen up patterns that are already cut.
-I wont recut pressed checkering you commonly find on Remington 1100's and 870's.

I can only take in the wood from your gun, no actions. If you need assistance taking apart your gun I can find a way to help. Ive taken apart a lot of guns; anything from your A5's to Holland & Holland sidelocks.

Member of Rose City Flying Clays

Last edited by TDKK on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Checkering Services
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

A 7x57 Single:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

A .450 NE double:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

.405 Double:

forend still deeepening, thats why there is a color difference:

Post subject: Re: Checkering and Stippling Services
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Do you do stock refinishing also?

Post subject: Re: Checkering and Stippling Services
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Got any pics of stippling, especially on laminated wood?