ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: #8 shot anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:31 pm 
Field Grade

I'm new enough to skeet that I don't need to consider more than my share of factors as I'm improving and working up to my first 25 straight (which I promise will occur before the next Democrat is sworn in as president).
My question is, do I need to bother with anything other than #9 shot? Shouldn't a beginner sling as much lead as possible? Is there a reason to try #8 shot, or would that just confuse me if I scored higher with #8's than 9's?

Post subject: Re: #8 shot anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:53 pm 
Crown Grade

I shoot only #9, but some like 8's for doubles. Being new I would stick with 9's, but each one will work fine. Good luck on that strait.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have found over the years that 8 shot works just as well as 9s in all gauges except the 410. In the 12 gauge even chilled or soft 8s are OK. 20 and 28 gauge then look for hard or magnum shot, 8 or 9. In the 410 extra hard or magnum 9s are the ticket!

I have read that the ammo companies put their hardest, highest antimony lead into 7 1/2 and 8 shot trap loads, the amount of antimony in skeet loads is less but still higher than the cheap promo shells like what Walmart sells. I have been told this is wrong also. Believe what you like...

:? :| :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

9's will break any target on a skeet field.

Don't mess around, use 9's and see the target.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
i shot my first straights with 8's. i always shot 9's at the world and they worked too. when i didnt have any 8's or 9's i shot skeet with 7 1/2's. and they all broke.
then it dawned on me. i broke the targets. my shells didnt. i told my shot what to do and it did.
if you tell yourself you cant shoot anything but 9's, the day all you have are 8's, youll miss.
just put any shell in and break the target.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

suburbanman wrote:
Is there a reason to try #8 shot,

Yes there is. When you can't get #9s, or you get a deal on #8s.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

+1 on what bobski said...

Don't over think it; concentrate on the fundamentals, practice as much as you can, and don't worry about the shot size. As long as you're obeying the club rules (and that's generally 7.5-9), you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got where I was telling myself I did better with 9's...then all I could find on sale were 8's. So I just got used to using 8's. If you are on the target, you will break it...doesn't matter if it is 8's or 9's. At the same time I like logic and it comes down to this.....with 9's, you have more shot balls per load. However, even though you have less shot with 8's, each pellet has more mass to it, and is more likely to break the target. So why not go with 7 1/2's then? Well I figured 8's were the happy medium between the mass you would get with 7 1/2's and the number you would get with 9's. At least that is how I reason it in my head :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

8's are not worth considering, particularly when you find a fairly large stash of 8 1/2's at $20 per bag. :? They break targets even better at that price. Funny how that works. If I could get some free, who knows how well I could shoot.

I will bow to WAM's knowledge and experience though in shot selection.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Where are you finding 8 1/2's for $20 a bag? Any chance you want to pick up two or three bags for me and send them to me in the flat rate boxes? I have only found size 8 shot around here...and it is $40 for 25lb bag.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:50 am 
Diamond Grade

suburbanman wrote:
I'm new enough to skeet that I don't need to consider more than my share of factors as I'm improving and working up to my first 25 straight (which I promise will occur before the next Democrat is sworn in as president).
My question is, do I need to bother with anything other than #9 shot? Shouldn't a beginner sling as much lead as possible? Is there a reason to try #8 shot, or would that just confuse me if I scored higher with #8's than 9's?
The way things are going, you should have at least until 2016 to get that 25 straight! :roll:
Just stick with the 9 shot. At the distances that skeet targets are broken, 9's can get it done easily.
It is up to you whether you break the target...or miss.

$20/bag, Customstox? Sign me up! Flat rate boxes for your friend, Grizzlyman?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In 12 ga (or 20 ga) it really doesn't matter. Make it simple on yourself, shoot #9's but if all you can get is 8 1/2's or 8's just shoot them without a second thought.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is an interesting thread. Consensus seems to be to work on hitting the targets. I am a new shooter, having just started in May of this year. I have been using Federal Target Loads, #7-1/2 shot, because that is the cheapest ammo from Walmart at $4.74 a box. I have shot Remington STS #9's from my club at $10.00 a box, so for financial reasons, it's Walmarts for the most part. BTW #7-1/2 shot is the max size permitted on our range.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

HHP123: From one newer shooter to another...I started last year. Everyone told me to buy ammo and hold onto the hulls because I will eventually want to reload. I was very resistant to the idea...I felt I didn't need another hobby. With ammo prices going up this year, and the increase in the amount that I shoot, I have finally given in. Unfortunately, most of the hulls I kept were cheapy Winchester Super Target and Federal hulls. Thankfully, at the end of the summer last year, and into this year I began purchasing Remington Gun Clubs. They are cheap boxes of ammo, but with good hulls. See if you can search them out. And save the hulls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:58 pm 
Field Grade

bobski wrote:
i shot my first straights with 8's. i always shot 9's at the world and they worked too. when i didnt have any 8's or 9's i shot skeet with 7 1/2's. and they all broke.
then it dawned on me. i broke the targets. my shells didnt. i told my shot what to do and it did.
if you tell yourself you cant shoot anything but 9's, the day all you have are 8's, youll miss.
just put any shell in and break the target.

As usual, I'm probably overthinking a small matter. And it's true that I'm in danger of psyching myself out when I want to shoot without my "perfect" load.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:58 pm 
Field Grade

keqwow wrote:
HHP123: Thankfully, at the end of the summer last year, and into this year I began purchasing Remington Gun Clubs. They are cheap boxes of ammo, but with good hulls. See if you can search them out. And save the hulls.

+1 on the Gun Club hulls. I wish I started collecting them earlier.

Regards,
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:10 pm 
Crown Grade

I was a member of a great club in the Cincinnati area and we were only allowed to shoot #9's. Supposedly, larger shot could hit the roof of a certain building at the edge of the property, under certain conditions, and the owner was not keen on this.

So all I ever shot for 5 years was #9 and it worked well for me.

I never questioned it. It was a club rule, and I like following club rules. They sold us shells at a fairly reasonable price and of course that was a break-even proposition and any profits, if any, went back into club improvements.

The only real b***h about it was when you saw a great sale somewhere on shells and they only had them in #8 or larger!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

+1 on Baron23's comment. In 12-ga or 20-ga, shoot what you can get for the best price! Since I shoot my own reloads, I use #8-1/2 shot in everything but .410. It is #9 shot in the baby bore.

Customstox: Hey Chic, save me some of those $20 bags of #8-1/2. I'll take a truckload.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Although I most prefer shooting skeet, I will move over to the trap field and shoot a round or two. I usually buy shells by the case (when I find them on sale - like today: Winchester Super X for $39.90 a case at Academy), so I will buy #8 shot. I can use this on both platforms, and as long as you hit the targets, they will break. Although the #9 throws more shot, an adjustment can be made to the choke to adjust your spread. As long as one pellet gets there, you broke the clay!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Suburbanman, I've got one more thought on this. Very rarely am I in a situation where I am shooting skeet in competition. Most of the time I'm working on my game. If what I am doing most of the time is working on my skills, I think I may be able to benefit more by shooting a "tighter" shot. This forces me to really hit the target. I have shot #9, but I think I can hone my skills by shooting #8, or even #7 1/2. It feels great when the clay really explodes rather than getting chipped by the "magic bb." I figure that any target I can hit with #8, I ought to be able to hit with #9. Just a thought.