ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Briley Companion Tubes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm considering buying a single set of the Briley Companion drop-in tubes to use in my 20 gauge SP1. They'll weigh somewhere close to 11 ounces, according to Briley, and will give me .410 opportunity in a familiar platform without breaking the bank. My concern is the effect of adding that much weight in front. You folks know a lot. Has anyone learned any tube lessons they'd be willing to share?

The other side of my brain says I should find a SP1 in .410. Gun weights would be more consistent. I could call it a flock.

Post subject: Re: Briley Companion Tubes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

You'll get used to the weight and out-of-balance. Pretty soon you'll think it's about perfect............until someone picks it up and says "boy, this sucker is barrel-heavy".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Briley will make the tubes any length you wish. They don't have to be full length. You may have to have your triggers converted to reset for the second shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:39 am 
Presentation Grade

I bought the 20 gauge ultra light Companion tubes. I am very happy with them. Yes, they add weight to the gun, which helps reduce recoil. When I shoot 12 gauge I use a 10 oz. barrel weight, though it seems in my club most folks shoot 12 gauge events with 20 gauge tubes.

One problem you will have is Briley's video about how to put in the tubes. Seems to me, they made the video for folks who already know how to put the tubes in. I suggest that you have someone show you.

Also, when you run a bore snake or a cleaning rod through the barrel, run it from the front back. If you go back to front you might damage the ejectors or knock them out of place.

Finally, I have a recoil reducer on my gun, so my inertia triggers wouldn't always reset unless I tightened the reducer all the way. Luckily for me, we had a big trap shoot and the traveling gunsmith redid my triggers.

Randy