ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIO Shells..
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:29 pm 
Utility Grade

What is consensus of quality from RIO shells.. I am looking to find a good price for some bulk target loads and just wanted to see what you guys think..

I was looking at this on Graf & Sons.. RIO 12ga 2.75-Dram 1oz 1210fps #7.5 250/cs for $53. is that a worthwhile buy?

Thanks,
Paul

Post subject: Re: RIO Shells..
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tetra84 wrote:
I was looking at this on Graf & Sons.. RIO 12ga 2.75-Dram 1oz 1210fps #7.5 250/cs for $53. is that a worthwhile buy?

Thanks,
Paul

Buy all you can get at that price if you don't have to pay shipping. Shipping costs can be exhorbitant. I recently inquired about getting some shells shipped from Oklahoma to Florida. The shipping costs were going to be $16 per flat. :shock: I told them I didn't need the shells that bad. :)

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:11 pm 

I'll second that that's a good price, but make sure that shipping doesn't make it a not so good price.

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:18 pm 
Utility Grade

i just called.. they said it'd be $15 per case so that'd put it up to $68.. still a good price?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Probably not, you can get Remington Gun Clubs or Sport Loads $50 -$55 a flat local more than likely. I don't see were any of these on-line, mail order places are that good price wise for shells, powder, components or primers. Maybe they are if you are ordering for alot of guys.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

$52/flat is a real good price if you can pick up and drive the load home, but $52/flat plus shipping is not really a bulk price.

Tomorrow I am placing an order for (96-flats) for $52.50/flat delivered to my warehouse here in Houston (shipping is included in price). They come from a distributor which is about 650 miles away. All one needs is to have a receiving point with a forklift and be able and willing to send certified payment in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Zac Crawford wrote:
$52/flat is a real good price if you can pick up and drive the load home, but $52/flat plus shipping is not really a bulk price.

Tomorrow I am placing an order for (96-flats) for $52.50/flat delivered to my warehouse here in Houston (shipping is included in price). They come from a distributor which is about 650 miles away. All one needs is to have a receiving point with a forklift and be able and willing to send certified payment in advance.

Zac, I assume that all 96 have to be the same brand and type. If not do you have options on all brands?

Remington Sporting 410
Beretta Silver Fox SS 20

Marty Patterson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Unitl tomorrow, 9/26/09, Dick's sporting goods has Remington Gun Clubs on sale for $60/flat (regularly $89?) with a Remington $10 rebate on up to 10 flats (cash, not debit card). 12 and 20 ga, 1145 FPS up to 1390, 1 oz & 1 1/8th oz, #7 1/2, 8, & 9. This is in Dallas area; don't know if it is nationwide.

Also til 9/27 Cabelas has, nationwide, Estate 1 oz 1180 FPS 12 ga and I think comparable 20 ga for $60/flat.

Regards to Rio, go on their website...a few interesting articles. Kemen is a Rio company, and if you are around the TX hill country, perhaps you could pick up a bunch of Kemen's at their HQ?

I just don't see how guys get around delivery charges on internet ammo purchases, unless they are piggy backing for free on their club's delivery, or perhaps they are buying in industrial quantities..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:57 pm 

Some of us who buy over the internet do not have any local retailers who sell at a low enough price. For example, I can save considerably buying 28 and 410 over the internet due to the high-market prices available locally, savings even after including the shipping costs.

This is not buying in industrial quantities--I usually buy 4 or 5 flats at a time this way. Soon, when I am independently wealthy, I'll buy by the pallet like Zac.

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

MRPOWER wrote:
This is not buying in industrial quantities--I usually buy 4 or 5 flats at a time this way. Soon, when I am independently wealthy, I'll buy by the pallet like Zac.

Get a bunch of friends together and split the pallet. We normally have 5-6 guys go in together for Kemens and end up getting 2-3 pallets of shells. Last time we did it was 2 years ago and we paid somewhere between $40-50/flat for the shells delivered from a dealer about 300 miles away and we could mix and match 12ga loads as we pleased. I'm not sure what the price is now but I will be looking into it soon as I am down to about 15 flats.

As far as Rio shells are concerned, they're pretty darn good. I like them better than Gun Clubs and the burn very clean. Even though Kemen and Rio are made by the same company (UEE in Spain who makes most of the shells coming out of Spain including Diana) I think the Kemen's are slightly better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:08 am 

bopper wrote:
MRPOWER wrote:

Get a bunch of friends together and split the pallet. We normally have 5-6 guys go in together for Kemens and end up getting 2-3 pallets of shells. Last time we did it was 2 years ago and we paid somewhere between $40-50/flat for the shells delivered from a dealer about 300 miles away and we could mix and match 12ga loads as we pleased. I'm not sure what the price is now but I will be looking into it soon as I am down to about 15 flats.

As far as Rio shells are concerned, they're pretty darn good. I like them better than Gun Clubs and the burn very clean. Even though Kemen and Rio are made by the same company (UEE in Spain who makes most of the shells coming out of Spain including Diana) I think the Kemen's are slightly better.

I'm sure Rio and Kemen are fine. However, I do not shoot 12 gauge and shoot remington exclusively for 28 and 410. I'm the only one in Utah who does. Unless the wholesaler is going to allow mixing gauges and brands, there's nothing doing here for me. Additionally, nobody in Utah shoots as much as I do, except for one other shooter. All I'm saying is it would be right difficult to put together that large an order with the local shooting demographics.

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:47 am 
Crown Grade

MRPOWER wrote:
I'm sure Rio and Kemen are fine. However, I do not shoot 12 gauge and shoot remington exclusively for 28 and 410. I'm the only one in Utah who does. Unless the wholesaler is going to allow mixing gauges and brands, there's nothing doing here for me. Additionally, nobody in Utah shoots as much as I do, except for one other shooter. All I'm saying is it would be right difficult to put together that large an order with the local shooting demographics.

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. To get the same price for every case, it had to be all 12ga. If we wanted to mix and match gauges, there would not have been a flat price per case.

That you don't have enough people to split a pallet with is an entirely different issue :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MRPOWER wrote:
Additionally, nobody in Utah shoots as much as I do, except for one other shooter.

Mike, how much do you shoot a week?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't remember if it was UPS or Fedex, but actual freight to NM for two flats of 12ga Fiocchi from Grafs ran $22.84. This was in July. Two flats is the most they will ship in one box.

Don't forget that Grafs also adds 3% if you use a credit card.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:56 pm 

dugout wrote:
MRPOWER wrote:
Additionally, nobody in Utah shoots as much as I do, except for one other shooter.

Mike, how much do you shoot a week?

On a good week, 20-30 boxes. On a typical week for what this year has been, 10-15.

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MRPOWER wrote:
On a good week, 20-30 boxes. On a typical week for what this year has been, 10-15.

Thanks, I was just wondering.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

My only concern with Rio's and Kemen's, is that the 20 ga. usually stick in tubes. Not sure if this happens in all o/u's or not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mike Borg,
You are correct. Most shooters have been aware of that problem for a couple of years now. The problem is with the 20 gauge shells getting stuck in tubes. That problem is still evident. It does not hamper my shooting since I shoot auto's and they digest the Rio and Kemen shell very well.

At a recent skeet shoot one of our squad members ended up one shell short while approaching station 8. Evidently the referee had not provided a proof shell, earlier. Without thinking I reached in my pouch and handed this person a 20 gauge Kemen, which the shooter used on High-8. Well, we experience a delay because the shell got stuck and the shooter had to leave the field for a few minutes to go rod-out the stuck hull.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:26 pm 

Mike Borg wrote:
My only concern with Rio's and Kemen's, is that the 20 ga. usually stick in tubes. Not sure if this happens in all o/u's or not.

Most. It's not the guns--it's the shells. The steel base expands on firing like the brass bases do in higher priced shells, but where the brass contracts more rapidly, the steel does not. So they get stuck from time to time. Same thing happens with some Estate and Fed Top Gun shells as well. It's never been much of a concern for me, but I know a few people who refuse to shoot them for this reason. Seems silly to me.

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My Cabelas had a nice selection of Rios this past weekend. I picked up some 1280fps 1 1/8oz 12ga and 1250fps 1oz 20's for $54/flat. They had the whole range there in 12 and 20, but no small stuff.

-- Zig Ziglar