ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro or Browning Maxus
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Having a hard time deciding between these two guns for waterfowl and clay shooting. The Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro 12GA or the Browning Maxus 12GA. Is the browning worth the extra money? I can get a Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro 12GA for $970 from a guy who owns a shop i know. A Browning would run me $1500+ Is the Remington a good buy? I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster currently and i really like it. Is the V3 a good buy or is the browning worth the extra? Thanks in advance! I am new to these forums! Looking to get more into skeet shooting this year! I really enjoy it!

I've tried to find comparisons out there between these two but there just doesn't seem to be too much talk about one over the other. Figured i'd come here in hopes to get some good input!

Post subject: Re: Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro or Browning Maxus
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I would probably pick the Browning.
Go to the waterfowl hunting forum and post you question there.

Don't forget the original Benelli Super Black Eagle. I shot one for 10 years at everything
and it a killing machine. If I was to get back into waterfowl hunting, that's what I'd get!

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Both are awesome shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Even without the extra money for the Browning, my choice would be the V3 as I think it is a great platform. If I get a chance to do some more duck hunting it is what I will HAVE to have. LOL

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:44 am 
Crown Grade

I am, first and foremost, a waterfowl hunter. It is my number one outdoor passion. In over 50 years doing it, I have used many different firearms. Until a couple of years ago, I was shooting a Beretta 390 Silver Mallard which I bought new in 1995. I still have it and still shoot it occasionally each season. But a couple years ago, I decided to upgrade to a newer version and bought a Beretta A400 Extrema. Big mistake; it was a lemon that even Beretta couldn't fix. So I looked at the Versamax and the Maxus as a replacement for the Extrema. I ended up with the Maxus because it had some features that the Versamax didn't have and shouldering both in my local Scheel's store showed me that the Maxus felt better when brought to shoulder. The Maxus has been flawless thus far and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anybody. If your budget really isn't a restriction, then I think the Maxus is the better deal even at a higher price. I also believe that the Versamax is a good choice as well. Just one man's opinion.

I also hunt with a buddy who is on his 3rd or 4th version of the Winchester SX series and thinks it is the best there is for waterfowl shooting. He trades up to the very latest version as soon as it's available.

Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:26 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

HoytHunterRX3 wrote:
I can get a Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro 12GA for $970 from a guy who owns a shop i know. A Browning would run me $1500+ Is the Remington a good buy? I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster currently and i really like it. Is the V3 a good buy or is the browning worth the extra? Thanks in advance! I am new to these forums! Looking to get more into skeet shooting this year! I really enjoy it!

I've tried to find comparisons out there between these two but there just doesn't seem to be too much talk about one over the other. Figured i'd come here in hopes to get some good input!

The Remington is softer shooting, has a far better trigger, has a far better warranty (lifetime) vs. no warranty at all for the Maxus.

To save $500 and end up with a better shotgun isn't a tough path to take.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

HoytHunterRX3 wrote:
Having a hard time deciding between these two guns for waterfowl and clay shooting. The Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro 12GA or the Browning Maxus 12GA. Is the browning worth the extra money? I can get a Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro 12GA for $970 from a guy who owns a shop i know. A Browning would run me $1500+ Is the Remington a good buy? I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster currently and i really like it. Is the V3 a good buy or is the browning worth the extra? Thanks in advance! I am new to these forums! Looking to get more into skeet shooting this year! I really enjoy it!

Do you have an opportunity to at least shoulder, and preferably shoot, them both ? Most folks will give an opinion on a given gun, which is fine, but not the same as a side by side comparison.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:57 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
The Remington is softer shooting, has a far better trigger, has a far better warranty (lifetime) vs. no warranty at all for the Maxus.
:w Are you serious about Browning NOT having a warranty on their firearms?

Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:59 pm 
Utility Grade

After some further research and time to handle each, i decided to go with the Remington V3. The warranty is what had me sold. Saved me some money and having that lifetime warranty is that added peace of mind that's nice to have. That's partially the reason i own 3 Glocks. That warranty is hard to beat. And they are great guns. Never had an issue with any of my guns other than a SuperNova that had a sticky pump action, sent it in to be fixed and got it back in the same damn condition it left in after they said they smoothed/ grinded down a spot that was causing the pump to stick. After that i traded it in and told myself i'd never get another Benelli. Thanks for all the suggestions! I've really enjoyed clay shooting! Can't wait to get the V3 out! I was using my Wingmaster for the longest time. Maybe one day i'll look into an over under but those things are a bit out of my price range at the moment. The V3 seems to be a good fit for clays and waterfowl. Can't wait to put it to the test!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 pm 
Crown Grade

HoytHunterRX3 wrote:
After some further research and time to handle each, i decided to go with the Remington V3. The warranty is what had me sold. Saved me some money and having that lifetime warranty is that added peace of mind that's nice to have. That's partially the reason i own 3 Glocks. That warranty is hard to beat. And they are great guns. Never had an issue with any of my guns other than a SuperNova that had a sticky pump action, sent it in to be fixed and got it back in the same damn condition it left in after they said they smoothed/ grinded down a spot that was causing the pump to stick. After that i traded it in and told myself i'd never get another Benelli. Thanks for all the suggestions! I've really enjoyed clay shooting! Can't wait to get the V3 out! I was using my Wingmaster for the longest time. Maybe one day i'll look into an over under but those things are a bit out of my price range at the moment. The V3 seems to be a good fit for clays and waterfowl. Can't wait to put it to the test!

Best of luck with your V3. Hope you're as happy with yours as I've been with mine.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:47 am 
Crown Grade

HoytHunterRX3 wrote:
After learning from Randy Wakeman's post that Browning supposedly doesn't have a warranty, I sent off an email to Browning to ask them about it. Here is their reply:
Browning wrote:
Thank you for the email. We do not have a written or detail specific warranty; however, we do offer warranty on our firearms. Generally the warranty is case by case and warranty work depends on the nature of the malfunction or problem with the firearm. We do always try to help the consumer with most issues, but in some instances, where poor maintenance or alterations to the firearms have been performed, we are not able to offer the warranty. If you'd like to talk with our service department about our warranty in more detail, you can contact us at 800-322-3426 Ext 2. M-F. 8:30AM-4:00PM CST.
:w ; Over? Good luck with them ever fixing anything under warranty. It will in all likelihood be your fault for not properly maintaining the firearm or misusing it in some fashion. John Browning is in a constant state of motion from turning over in his grave because of what the Browning company has become. I would agree, HoytHunter, that you made a wise decision in going with the Remington.

Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:08 am 
Crown Grade

That reply from Browning has legalese loop holes in it large enough to throw a big labrador through. Sheesh! They should be ashamed to even reply in that manner. They would have been better off not saying anything and let the unwary owner find out for themselves.

Thanks dubob for that public service communication. I guess Randy was right. Whoa-Stop the presses!! How can that be???? LOL

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:16 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The only Browning that I'm aware of, that comes with a written warranty or guarantee is the new A5: https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... ns/a5.html . As for the Maxus and other models, notta.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
I guess Randy was right. Whoa-Stop the presses!! How can that be???? LOL
Yeah; who'd a thunk it? Image

Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Randy is right, no Browning written warranty in the US. The A5 might be an exception. I am not sure. The EU has a written warranty however, we are discussing the USA, correct?

That being said, I have had warranty work paid for by Browning twice.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:56 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There apparently is some kind of warranty outside the U.S. It isn't stated, except that you can get an extra year on top of the mystery warranty here: https://en.browning.eu/warranty/ .

A warranty is a written guarantee and that's what Browning and Winchester-branded stuff lacks.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:27 pm 
Crown Grade

blackandgold wrote:
Randy is right, no Browning written warranty in the US. The A5 might be an exception. I am not sure. The EU has a written warranty however, we are discussing the USA, correct?

My understanding is that it`s not that Browning won`t do work on its guns, it`s just that they leave themselves beaucoup room to refuse to do work, at their discretion, by not having a written warranty through which they would be obligated. Buyer beware!?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:31 pm 
Crown Grade

blackandgold wrote:

This is a thread I started on TS last year. My buddy's 725 stock cracked through the wrist/grip. He leaned on Browning, and they had the gun and new stock back to him in about 5 weeks or so!

And they paid for it.

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/browning-stock-crack.777521/

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
i know a guy that had grade 6 in 20 and 12ga, they both had tang cracked [not as bad as this one,but cracked nevertheless] with less than 2k in each of them.
he paid browning to restock them both,and they both cracked again at about the same round count.

Apparently that guy is not your friend.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:11 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Quote:
i know a guy that had grade 6 in 20 and 12ga, they both had tang cracked [not as bad as this one,but cracked nevertheless] with less than 2k in each of them.
he paid browning to restock them both,and they both cracked again at about the same round count.

Apparently that guy is not your friend.

No, someone else posted that. As I stated, Browning paid for the new stock to replace the stock shown in the pics.