ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skeet Shooting vs. Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:33 pm 
Field Grade

While I use to shoot skeet up until 2006, I then discovered sporting clays and by comparison skeet shooting is sooo boring and repetitious. Once you have shot a few rounds of skeet its all the same time after time after time. For variety and a much bigger challenge try sporting clays and other than an occasional round of skeet for fun--I bet you never go back to that clay target discipline. Okay now lets hear from all the haters on this post as I am sure this will fire them up thinking I am being hateful to skeet shooters--and I am not I am just saying give sporting a try, its addicting.

Post subject: Re: Skeet Shooting vs. Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Glad you like the dark side! :mrgreen:
Now you're ready for FITASC, Super Sporting, and if you have it near you, ZZ Birds!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
guts buddy. you come into a skeet forum and poop some s.clays in it and sit back to watch the show? right. lol.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I don’t feel bad when I miss at sporting as I do at Skeet!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
I don’t feel bad when I miss at sporting as I do at Skeet!

And therein lies one (but just one!), of the many reasons I like clays so much better! And that's after about almost fifty years of skeet shooting, which in the past couple of years, has become my default practice activity for clays only. That's pretty much the only reason I shoot skeet anymore. And even then, I modify it as much as possible to make it more like clays.

Skeet is a great game for those who like it. Each of us that are blessed with the health and means to shoot, no matter at what level or in which discipline, are truly fortunate.

Me...give me Sporting!

My budget keeps it at a pretty rudimentary level though. But I still have many great friends that surpass my skeet skills, whose company I enjoy. So you will still see me on the skeet fields, just not primarily.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

After 50 years of Skeet, it is still my favorite. I like Sporting Clays, but not Trap that much.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sporting does offer a variety of targets and I like it a lot. However, I don't like it well enough to pay $50/100 targets every time I wanted to shoot. It's about an hour to sporting venues that I like, too. I shoot 200 skeet targets/week for $24 and the club is 10 minutes from home. If that means I'm cheap...........So be it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:25 pm 
Crown Grade

This is an interesting question. Then there`s a group of us ( not doubt in the minority ) who do not shoot clays for the sake of shooting clays but do so as practice for the field. I would hazard a guess that for this group, the favorite clay game would be impacted by the type of bird (s) hunted. A shooter who hunts primarily pass shooting birds (ducks, dove ) might prefer a different game from a shooter who hunts primarily flushing birds.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

I like to shoot Sporting just a couple times a year just for the heck of it, but I don't prefer it at all. I can shoot three rounds of skeet at my club for $15 (instead of $45) and still have great fun with my buddies. I get to shoot a shotgun, and I get to break targets that actually fly like birds do. (What's up with springing teal or chandelles??). I get to break over 90% of my targets on most days. With skeet I don't: shoot at targets that are so out of range as to be unethical on game, shoot down at targets from a platform, shoot at targets the size of hummingbirds or shoot at bouncy things that are supposed to be - - - what? Rabbits? I just got interested in Trap (after 48 yrs of skeet) and I'm liking it too. Again, birds actually fly like targets do in trap. Imagine that!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet...Trap....Sporting. Bring it all on. If it's 4" round and made of clay, I'll shoot it .......... :cry: (I may not hit it :x , but I'll shoot it :D )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

For me, skeet = $4.00/round at the local club with friends, three miles from my house. Sporting Clays = $50/100 with strangers 40 miles from home.

If skeet gets boring for you, buy a .410! 8)

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:25 pm 
Field Grade

I have shot skeet for 45 years and sporting clays for 10. I like them both. I do think that skeet offers the best way for a new shotgun shooter to learn to shoot. When I go out with someone who struggles or is just learning shotgun shooting I take them to a skeet field. We start out with low 1 and high 7 to learn to swing and follow through. We then move to low 2 high 6 etc. IMO Skeet is a good way for a new shooter to learn or for an experienced shooter to work on a problem shot or just brush up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

cheecho1960 wrote:
Skeet...Trap....Sporting. Bring it all on. If it's 4" round and made of clay, I'll shoot it .......... :cry: (I may not hit it :x , but I'll shoot it :D )

:lol: {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:12 am 
Diamond Grade

cheecho1960 wrote:

You don't shoot at the minis?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:05 am 
Crown Grade

twohigh wrote:
cheecho1960 wrote:

I do, but don't understand why they call them "minis". They look standard to me...............

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:08 am 
Crown Grade

twohigh wrote:
cheecho1960 wrote:

Or the 70s or the 90s? :mrgreen:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:18 am 
Crown Grade

cheecho1960 wrote:
twohigh wrote:
cheecho1960 wrote:

I do, but don't understand why they call them "minis". They look standard to me...............

Somehow what seemed to be a rather straightforward thread has diverted into uncharted territory!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:25 am 
Presentation Grade

They are two different games with different appeals.

Skeet is a game of discipline and structure shooting predictable targets. It requires perfection. The winner is the shooter who hits the most.

Sporting clays is a game of analysis and being prepared for a variety of presentations. It requires adaptability. The winner is the shooter who misses the least.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Trish and I shoot Skeet from April until the World shoot is over, then our Skeet guns go in the safe and we shoot Sporting from mid October to April. We like both games and this keeps us from burning out with 12 months of skeet. We shoot mainly for the social side, drinks and dinners are high on our list. Skeet seems to have more people hanging around after shooting to socialize than Sporting.
There's room for both games, it doesn't have to be one or the other

AL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 am 
Crown Grade

al magyar wrote:
Trish and I shoot Skeet from April until the World shoot is over, then our Skeet guns go in the safe and we shoot Sporting from mid October to April. We like both games and this keeps us from burning out with 12 months of skeet.

That has pretty much been my routine for the last 20 years or so. I have affordable, nearby sporting available. It's an easy, low traffic ride for me. Skeet is much further with a lot of heavy traffic. These days the short, easy drive for sporting usually trumps the longer, burdensome drive for skeet.

FWIW - Sporting is $6 per 25 for me. That is the same price they charge for "skeet"/8-stand at one of my sporting clubs.