ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barrel weights
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:03 pm 
Field Grade

I am shooting a Browning XS Ultra Skeet with Briley full length ultra light tubes. I need to install a barrel weight when I am shooting the 12 gauge. Was wondering what others are using ie. brand and amount of weight. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Barrel weights
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

wc beagle wrote:
I am shooting a Browning XS Ultra Skeet with Briley full length ultra light tubes. I need to install a barrel weight when I am shooting the 12 gauge. Was wondering what others are using ie. brand and amount of weight. Thanks.

I have used this
https://graco-corp.com/product-category/counter-weight/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:52 am 
Field Grade

I have the Briley external weight, and used a Kolar one for many years on a Browning Citori skeet. Both clamp to the outside of the barrel.

The Kolar was about 10 ounces, very close to the tubes i was shooting then. I had to keep the weight close to the forearm to be even close to the balance of tubes. Also kept a close eye on the rubber “gasket” that goes between the weight and barrel, and The tightness of the screws. I did not want any extra marks on the blueing from the weight sliding..... ask me how I learned that!

I got a Briley 8 oz about a year ago for a Beretta SP 1 Sporting. It is a rounded design I like better. I bought heavy to smooth my swing and counter recoil. If it was just for balance I’d buy the6 oz and experiment with location on the barrel to get a similar feel as tubes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:59 am 
Presentation Grade

I think Briley barrel weights look better than Gracos. A lot of folks use inner tubes to keep the weights in place. (Mine was slipping.) I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/LifeGrip-Safety- ... ljaz10cnVl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Our very own Skeet_Man here makes barrel weights........

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Our very own Skeet_Man here makes barrel weights........

Yes, he does and they are well done. Further, they are usually able to be hidden by the forearm. Unfortunately, they don't add much weight.