ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windy day
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tried to shoot yesterday with 30 mph winds. Gave up after one round.Even after adjusting the throwers it was near impossible. The high house was landing in front of the low house and the low house targets would veer off into space going upwards of 30 feet..I am going to find the least windy place on earth and shoot there. :lol:
I did a google search once of such a location and it said some where off the Pacific coast of South America in the middle of the ocean. Does anyone know of a spot on land where the wind does not blow? Please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Windy day
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:06 am 
Crown Grade

Most of the time here in the north central Florida/Southwestern GA area during the summer is one such place. We PRAY for a breeze to cool us off outside. Between the heat, humidity and no wind, it can get a tad stifling - perfect weather for skeet shooting! :mrgreen:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:23 am 
Diamond Grade

Ventured onto the skeet field for the first time in forever yesterday and we had some wind as well. Surely makes that game a good bit tougher!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:19 am 
Limited Edition

Early morning squads seem to be less windy, less thermals?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:13 pm 
Crown Grade

kyskeet wrote:
Early morning squads seem to be less windy, less thermals?

That was definitely the case when I lived in Carson City; you could count on high winds as the sun went down behind the Sierras

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

When I lived in SE Kansas, I shot on a field that was on the municipal airport. Now, that place was a fright for wind. Actually, though, I usually liked the wind. If I coulda got those other old timers to shoot for money, I'd beat them like a rented mule. They just knew they couldn't shoot in the wind..............and they couldn't. I used to tell them all the time........break them before they get to the stake and that wind will almost never be an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am in west Nebraska 10 miles from the Colorado border where one of the countries largest wind farms is located, we can see the damn towers from out skeet field. I have no idea why they are located there. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:22 am 
Tournament Grade

Me personally, I love shooting any discipline in the wind, very challenging, fun, and great practice for future presentations.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:42 am 
Crown Grade

Shooting in a stiff wind is great way to condition yourself to keeping your head glued to the stock with a hard focus on the target. The reason many struggle in the wind is that the first instinct to a target deviating from the expected path is to lift you head to get a better look.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I always thought they should have wobble Skeet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:36 pm 
Crown Grade

IndyCA35 wrote:

With targets on report and using a FITASC-style low gun mount......... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
Most of the time here in the north central Florida/Southwestern GA area during the summer is one such place. We PRAY for a breeze to cool us off outside. Between the heat, humidity and no wind, it can get a tad stifling - perfect weather for skeet shooting! :mrgreen:

Lets trade, I will send a package of wind and you send some calm and humidity. We could use any kind of moisture, things are burning up here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

IndyCA35 wrote:

For many years we had a combo skeet/wobble trap field and would occasionally shoot the wobble trap from skeet stations 1-7. Started at station 1 and advanced to each station after hitting the target at the previous station. If you missed you kept shooting until you hit the target. Those who had shells left at station 7 shot their way back to station 1 and repeated until no shells were left. Last man standing won. I don't remember anyone ever shooting a straight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:28 am 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

Lets trade, I will send a package of wind and you send some calm and humidity. We could use any kind of moisture, things are burning up here.

{hs#
Would love to; when your home windows don't unfog until 10AM, you know it is going to be a "sultry" day where just walking outside means sweating through your shirt. On topic somewhat, I have to watch this when I go shoot skeet or sporting as my gun acquires a nice level of condensation simply from removing it from my truck to the outdoors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:09 pm 
Field Grade

DEG wrote:
IndyCA35 wrote:

For many years we had a combo skeet/wobble trap field and would occasionally shoot the wobble trap from skeet stations 1-7. Started at station 1 and advanced to each station after hitting the target at the previous station. If you missed you kept shooting until you hit the target. Those who had shells left at station 7 shot their way back to station 1 and repeated until no shells were left. Last man standing won. I don't remember anyone ever shooting a straight.

I’ve played the same game at a club here in CT. Thought we invented it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

The wind might not be great for scores but it sure is fun. It teaches one to really look for the targets and to make adjustments on the fly. We get lots of wind in the Spring and Winter here. I usually hit the targets before the stake so I tend to handle the singles better than others. The second shot on doubles is where the fun begins.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I love wobble skeet. Used to shoot it at the range on Ft Lewis ink WA. Wobble will definitely teach you to focus on the target and keep your head down. Just a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:10 pm 
Field Grade

It’s windy more often than not at our club in Vegas. Once you learn to shoot in the wind, shooting on a nice calm day is a breeze (no pun intended).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:05 am 
Tournament Grade

It's an additional challenge that I enjoy. Obviously not gale force winds that either stall a bird before it makes it half way across the field or drives it into the ground before it reaches the opposite house. That's a bit much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:00 am 
Tournament Grade

I wasn’t out shooting today, the range is closed M.T.

Didn’t miss much. Wind was steady 30+ most of the day, gusts 40+, per the wunderweather site at the range. Finally calmed down in the afternoon.

But hay! It’s just variables! ;)