ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One or two shells
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The skeet rule book says that two shells may be loaded when shooting singles ( except station 8 ). This is the way our small club does it. I understand that some clubs only allow one shell at a time for singles. What does your club do ?

Post subject: Re: One or two shells
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

Ours allows two to be loaded.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Never heard of a club that did not allow loading 2. That would make for a slow day shooting. There are no stations other than 8 where you do not take 2 shots so what would be the point? Even when I am shooting my hunting guns for practice I load 2. Not worth one holing the open choke to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:08 pm 
Crown Grade

we allow 2. Often a new shooter whips over to the low house without taking time to reset and think about it. In that case we will typically get him to load 1 until he or she slows up a bit.

I think the skeet field in Phoenix where they hold the zone 7 shoot limits you to one shell on singles. I think we universally ignored their rule when we went to the zone shoot several years ago.

One of Many

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We have one guy that always loads one because that was the way he did it at another club or something. It gets annoying when 5 or six are in line waiting. We have only one skeet range.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Unless someone’s a fumble fingers......loading one only for singles shouldn’t be a bother, since it should add up to less than 60 seconds during a round. Less than 5 minutes if the entire squad does it. Not a big concern IMO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Some of the youth shooting organizations insist on one shell for the singles. Probably good for the kids for safety and focusing on the next shot, but it is painfully slow.

Think I read Todd Bender say he does one shell at a time- guess it worked out pretty well for him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

I load one cause that's the way I learned it 50 yrs ago and because I've gotten used to the cadence/timing. I take that time while I load to think about the next shot. I do wish that other shooters would only load 1 on Sta 7 singles. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone step, jump or duck pieces from 7H or quickly move their loaded gun away from being hit by a piece. Some of our older shooters don't have the best balance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

We can load two but have folks that do it both ways. It's a very small club and nobody is in a big enough hurry to worry about someone single-loading for singles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:00 am 
Limited Edition

The rule for two shells on station 8 is in reference to high 8 and or low eight if not shooting a two targets from low 8. The intent is to prevent someone from walking off of the station with a loaded gun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:40 am 
Tournament Grade

twohigh wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone step, jump or duck pieces from 7H or quickly move their loaded gun away from being hit by a piece.

I have seen that too many times.

I shoot a club that had a 'load one for singles' rule though the mid-80s. It was also the last club I've shot that had interior safety fences.

I load two with an O/U, but one at a time with my automatics and pump-guns. I'm not much faster or slower doing one than the other.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I first started shooting, I just loaded one at a time. Since I always shoot the lower barrel first, I realized I was shooting significant rounds through the lower barrel and very little through the upper barrel. 21 through the lower barrel to 4 through the upper barrel every round. I thought it would be better to even out the wear and load two. Still makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:13 pm 
Crown Grade

All skeet clubs allow two shells to be loaded, since they will be needed to shot the pair.

As for single loading on the singles, or double loading on the singles, all depends on the shooter. Hence have seen shooters that load two, take a lot longer that shooter that is only loading single per targets before the pair. And still miss targets due to wrong footing/stance and so on.

Myself, single loader (bottom barrel) on the singles, then load two for the pair. Pace, no slower or fast than the someone loading two that is also running flights, since I make the footing switch the same time I am loading the second shell on say station 4 to shoot the other side of the field. Hence as a flight squad with most of use single loading on the singles, we still make the turn in 15mins, and since shooting a 12lb gun, the single load gives me a second rest between shots, instead of holding the gun up between shots to get to the second hold instead.

To add, not a bad idea as a new shooter to single load on the singles as well. This instills that you have only a single shot to get the target broken, isntead of playing international trap taking a second shot at the target if you miss it with the first shot, or stance checking/muzzle flaying to the second target hold with a loaded gun between the single shots.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:16 am 
Field Grade

I load 1 shell at a time for stations 3,4 and 5. Ten years ago, I was shooting and a guy (NE champion) told me to do this since I was calling for the second bird too fast and missing a few. Works for me. Most people don't and miss.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I always load two on singles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ours allow two to be loaded.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A majority of AAA shooters load one shell for singles.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
A majority of AAA shooters load one shell for singles.

:shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:34 am 
Diamond Grade

I load two just to reduce the opening and closing of the gun as much, trying to reduce the wear on the gun. Except for station 8, I load only one shell at a time.

On the subject of reducing wear, I found a spectacular grease I am now using on my hinge guns. It is called "Super Webb Grease" and it contains a lot of Teflon in a white lithium base. This grease stays were you put it and a little goes a long way. It is reasonable at about $8 a tube on ebay or their websight. It is used on bicycle bearings but I found that it works better than anything I have tried so far. I also use it to grease the re-sizing collet on my MEC loaders.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:44 am 
Diamond Grade

mtgrs737 wrote:
I load two just to reduce the opening and closing of the gun as much, trying to reduce the wear on the gun. Except for station 8, I load only one shell at a time.

On the subject of reducing wear, I found a spectacular grease I am now using on my hinge guns. It is called "Super Webb Grease" and it contains a lot of Teflon in a white lithium base. This grease stays were you put it and a little goes a long way. It is reasonable at about $8 a tube on ebay or their websight. It is used on bicycle bearings but I found that it works better than anything I have tried so far. I also use it to grease the re-sizing collet on my MEC loaders.

How many of your lifetimes do you want your shotgun to last? I wonder what the trap shooters do to make their break-action guns last longer? Do they shoot every other target?