ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warm up before match?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:35 am 
Limited Edition

Guys, do any of you have any tips on warming up before a club match??? When I practice I usually work on some weak spots than save one box to do a regular round and find getting a 25 (NOT ALWAYS) is more attainable since I am warmed up but shooting my club matches on a Sunday morning is a different story and my scores reflect this "SHOOTING COLD" effect. I don't feel as confident or alert. Any tips? Do I try and sneak in a warm up round?? Thanks Joe

Post subject: Re: Marm up before match?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:26 am 
Tournament Grade

If you make a warm-up round a regular part of your game, what happens when you can't?

Post subject: Re: Marm up before match?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:29 am 
Presentation Grade

If the skeet field is occupied with the tournament crowd, why not try some 5-stand if available? You can shoot just a few targets to shake off the cobwebs. When I shoot pistols, I find it takes me about 5 shots to steady my hands. Then everything settles down, and I do fine. Maybe you just need a few shots to acclimate to the noise, the recoil and the required concentration, not a whole round of skeet. Good luck. I hope you figure it out.

Post subject: Re: Warm up before match?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Mr. Muggs, I'm just looking for some feedback from other skeet shooters to see what they do before a match to prepare themselves, increase reaction time, concentration etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Okay. Here is some feedback from a skeet shooter -

I don't shoot practice before an event. It makes for a longer day and an earlier start. That can be tiring and take away from my mental game. If I run a straight I will wish I had saved that straight for the event. That can affect my mental game. If I miss, I will worry about why I missed and that may lead to me changing my game which could lead to a miss. If fate prevents me from getting in a practice round, that will annoy me and affect my mental game, and that could lead to a miss.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Now your talking my language! Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I never give shooting a warm-up round a thought. If I did shoot one, I'm sure my thoughts would mirror J. Fred's.
At the shoots that I run at our club, it matters not if you want to shoot a warm-up. It ain't happening. We are a small club, having just two fields, so I don't have any open fields. Plus, we have an agreed upon time with the neighbors about start time. Thus, when we get to shooting time, I have to start the shoot. So..........if you're used to getting in a warm up round, better skip our shoot or change your routine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

The comments and rationale from J. Fred Muggs and Vette Jockey 2 were essentially the reasons I recommended shooting a little 5-stand...if available. Just something to get you into the gun before starting the Skeet rounds without directly relating to your Skeet performance and expectations.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
The comments and rationale from J. Fred Muggs and Vette Jockey 2 were essentially the reasons I recommended shooting a little 5-stand...if available. Just something to get you into the gun before starting the Skeet rounds without directly relating to your Skeet performance and expectations.

No competitive skeet shooter would shoot anything else before a competition. I assume you aren’t a skeet competitor. Bad idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

drawdc wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:

No competitive skeet shooter would shoot anything else before a competition. I assume you aren’t a skeet competitor. Bad idea.

A skeet shooter, but no, not a competitor. Just trying to help, thinking a few bangs of any kind might help. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:55 am 
Limited Edition

The game of skeet hasn't changed since the last round you shot. There may be some climatic or mechanical reason for the birds to be in a different spot than normal and if that's the case feel free to move the gun. We have shot thousands of birds and unless something changes it will be a normal round probably shooting up to your averages.
I think your stressing over something unimportant....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
drawdc wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:

A skeet shooter, but no, not a competitor. Just trying to help, thinking a few bangs of any kind might help. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't sweat it if it doesn't happen, but do like to get in a few shots prior to an event. Moreso the first event of the day than the second; particularly if it is early morning with hard lighting. As much as anything I am looking to loosen up a little, remind myself of the feel I want, see some targets from the pad, assess my lense color, etc. If I get to the practice field and it is jammed packed, I don't fret it. If it is imporant enough for me on any particular day to see a few targets from the pad area, I would volunteer to push the button for others who are practicing.

For me the warm up box would not necessarily be 5-Stand, but not a regular singles round either; something closer to Doubles. But in doubles you go around and then back, so not that. One thing I don't do is go around passing up several stations/targets, get to 8 with everyone and then want to go back to Station 4 or 5 to shoot another five or six shells. That is a time killer and frankly inconsiderate of the next group who is looking to practice in a limited time schedule. My opinion is that if you want to shoot an extra three shells on Station 4, you should do it when the group is on the station the first time through.

During a crowded tournament, particularly when groups are waiting and time is limited, the practice field is not a place to be analyzing why you can't hit a target. How many times have we seen that? Some guy grinding into his self consciousness that he can't hit a shot! "Wow I missed that again. In fact, I am so bad at that target, I am going to go ahead miss that another three out of four attempts, just to be sure that I cement it into my psyche before the event!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:32 pm 
Field Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Okay. Here is some feedback from a skeet shooter -

I don't shoot practice before an event. It makes for a longer day and an earlier start. That can be tiring and take away from my mental game. If I run a straight I will wish I had saved that straight for the event. That can affect my mental game. If I miss, I will worry about why I missed and that may lead to me changing my game which could lead to a miss. If fate prevents me from getting in a practice round, that will annoy me and affect my mental game, and that could lead to a miss.

When I first started, I thought it was weird that there was no warmup, but I've come to the same conclusion about it not being all that necessary and maybe even counterproductive when you get down to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

ping pong.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:55 am 
Diamond Grade

I never crammed right before a test cause I figured if I didn't know something, last minute cramming wasn't likely to help. When I shot rimfire benchrest, I never practiced before a match. I figured the conditions wouldn't likely be the same as during the match and, if I shot poorly in practice, it would just get in my head. Now I shoot recreational skeet and some ATA trap and again never warm up. My focus is usually best early on and fatigue will sometimes take it away. What seems to work best for me is to just dive right into it with confidence. I wouldn't want to have a bad round get into my head or a good round having me wish I had saved it for the match.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Top coaches would ask; what are you going to do to warm up your eyes? Several exercises come to mind. Then what are you going to do to warm up your hands and your arms? What are you doing to warm up your competitive brain and predator tracking ability?

For score, many many top guys visualize each and every target in a perfect round, then go out and execute.