ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you swing thru clays covering them or hold below them
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:44 pm 
Field Grade

I know on station one high house you need to get under the bird but on most other stations should you swing thru the bird covering it. I do well on station one but the rest of them I miss a lot.I don't know if I'm behind ahead or under them. Thanks for any help Dave

Post subject: Re: Do you swing thru clays covering them or hold below the
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Depends o lot on how high or low your guns POI is shooting for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rooster has alluded to it, but you may well be shooting over them. Anyway, why do you want to "swing through" at all? If you're shooting skeet, learn to sustain lead. And, in my case, I shoot on the flight path, not floating the target.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Using my high shooting trap gun I see the bird above the bead. Using my field gun I cover the bird. I swing through the target on both.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

redbone, have you patterned your shotgun? If not, I would recommend that you do. If you belong to a skeet club someone there will help you do it. That will answer your question for YOU.
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am very new at this, but finally patterning my guns has made a definite improvement in my shooting.

It might just be in my confidence, and my knowledge of where the guns are shooting. I am no longer guessing what I did wrong. Now I know what I did wrong... in many cases.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:48 am 
Utility Grade

Sustained lead......as for not sure where you are shooting station two, two ft lead, station 3, 3 ft, station 4, 4 ft lead, as you progress take one ft off....... good luck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:06 am 
Field Grade

I have checked my point of impact at 15yds. I'm sure most people who write how to shoot skeet are great shooters but sometimes lack lack ability to explain it They tell how much lead for each station but people have different rates of speed in swing.They talk about swinging thru the bird. Are they floating the bird above the barrel or are they covering the bird with the barrel as they swing thru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:36 am 
Crown Grade

Most skeet today is shot using sustained lead. I.e. start in front of the target and stay there. Really its more bleeding lead off until you have the right sight picture.

Fundamentally your hold point is about on the target path about 1/3 of the way from the house to center stake (outgoing targets), your look point varies, but other than high 2 you're looking just outside the window and looking for the flash of the target. Start your swing and stay in front of the target, when the lead is right pull the trigger.

One of Many

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:39 am 
Crown Grade

redbone99 wrote:
I have checked my point of impact at 15yds. I'm sure most people who write how to shoot skeet are great shooters but sometimes lack lack ability to explain it They tell how much lead for each station but people have different rates of speed in swing.They talk about swinging thru the bird. Are they floating the bird above the barrel or are they covering the bird with the barrel as they swing thru

Most float to varying degrees.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:33 pm 
Utility Grade

redbone99 wrote:

A lot of it depends on your gun. I had a Beretta 692 sporting and it was very flat shooting and I would cover the bird regardless of the disapline. I now shoot a Zoli Z Sport and it shooting slightly higher after I had a custom stock for it. I now float the bird......

You need to pattern your gun with shells that you will constantly shoot to see....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:42 pm 
Field Grade

DONT think about lead,just look very hard at the clay,see the clay break the clay