ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dedicated Skeet Gun Recs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:20 pm 
Field Grade

Thinking about buying a dedicated skeet gun, wondering if you guys have any suggestions. Here are the specs I am ideally looking for:

-Over/Under
-20ga
-Ported barrel
-Under $2k

I realize with my budget constraint I might need to just look at field models. I would love to get a Citori 725 Sporting, but those are a little more than I want to spend. I am always looking around for a deal on a lightly used one. From the research I have done, I am eye-balling a Franchi LX. Although it doesnt have a ported barrel, it fits within my budget and seems like a well balanced 20ga for skeet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Dedicated Skeet Gun Recs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would look for a Citori XS Skeet. It can be every thing you want, though the $2000 budget will be tight.
This isn't the gun I recommended, but it's a good choice, too. Actually, it's the gun skeet_man recommends, below.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/982633363/B ... 30-NIB.htm

Last edited by Vette Jockey2 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:01 pm 
Limited Edition

I would recommend going with a 12ga if you have any thoughts of shooting the small Gage's. I if you go with a 20 ga gun you will be locked into a fixed choke 28ga subgage tube rather one with choke tubes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Browning CXS Sporting, then send it to Magnaport for porting (or not, your choice).

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:13 pm 
Field Grade

kyskeet wrote:
I would recommend going with a 12ga if you have any thoughts of shooting the small Gage's. I if you go with a 20 ga gun you will be locked into a fixed choke 28ga subgage tube rather one with choke tubes.

I already shoot a Beretta 686 White Onyx Sporting in 12ga. I feel like its already heavy enough which is why I dont want to go the tube route at this point. I am still years and years away from shooting 28 or 410 anyways.

Skeet_Man wrote:
Browning CXS Sporting, then send it to Magnaport for porting (or not, your choice).

This might be the way to go, thanks. Any idea what the turn around time is on sending the barrel in for porting?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

HotGreasyBore wrote:
Any idea what the turn around time is on sending the barrel in for porting?

Curious why you feel you need porting?

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:54 pm 
Field Grade

hopper810 wrote:
HotGreasyBore wrote:
Any idea what the turn around time is on sending the barrel in for porting?

Curious why you feel you need porting?

To reduce muzzle flip as much as possible. I know I am looking at a 20ga, but why not try and get every advantage I can? Its not the end-all be-all by any means, but I would prefer to have the barrels ported

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Hunh. I never realized long guns had much muzzle flip. Handguns, sure. But since the bore axis of long guns is pretty much straight back I've never noticed it much. Ported barrels just make SO much racket on the back end. I find them distracting to say the least. That said...

I agree about getting a CXS. I have the CX which is more of a crossover for all disciplines. Browning makes a heckuva shotgun for the shotgunning sports.

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

HotGreasyBore wrote:
o reduce muzzle flip as much as possible. I know I am looking at a 20ga, but why not try and get every advantage I can? Its not the end-all be-all by any means, but I would prefer to have the barrels ported

It's your money, If a gun I really want comes with ports so be it but not going to spend extra to have them added as I see no difference (besides the noise) when shooting ported vs non guns.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:11 am 
Diamond Grade

I have 12 and 20 ga O/Us, some with ported barrels and some without. The only difference I have noticed isn't noise or barrel flip, but that ported barrels are more of a pain to clean. While that obviously doesn't stop me from buying Browning models with ports that fit me well. All things considered, I prefer to do without them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:15 am 
Limited Edition

Porting has never impressed me as having any positive effect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

More noise for you and those you shoot with as well as more to clean. I have one ported shotgun and would eliminate the ports if I could. One of the earlier Browning 20 gauge Spl or XS Skeet.

If your 12 gauge was a 682 I would say just get a 20 gauge barrel for it if you don't want to add the weight of tubes. Not sure if there are 20 gauge barrels available for the 686.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

Consider the Cynergy. I have one in 20 gauge and it handles beautifully.

Last edited by Rudolph31 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:07 am 
Limited Edition

rkittine wrote:
More noise for you and those you shoot with as well as more to clean. I have one ported shotgun and would eliminate the ports if I could. One of the earlier Browning 20 gauge Spl or XS Skeet.

If your 12 gauge was a 682 I would say just get a 20 gauge barrel for it if you don't want to add the weight of tubes. Not sure if there are 20 gauge barrels available for the 686.

Bob

I think both Cole’s and Etchen offer multi-barrel sets based on their 68X house special guns. For example. The 687 at Etchen. That is really the same as the 686 with just a few minor differences. So I would be surprised if you couldn’t buy 20 ga barrels for the 686.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have also had good luck with the SKB / Ruger Red Label model 20 gauge over and unders.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:51 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Interesting to hear that many of you dont care much for the ported barrels and/or see any benefit from them. Surely there is some barrel flip reduction considering you see ported barrels still in production on sporting guns? Like I said, no the end-all be-all to my decision, so if I find the right gun without them, not a big deal.

Perhaps I should just save up a little more and get the XS Skeet...or maybe find a used one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Porting absolutely does reduce muzzle flip, it's VERY simple physics. Anyone who argues the opposite, from a scientific basis, is completely ignoring Newtons 3rd law, and to some extent the 2nd as well. The only debatable aspect is the perception of how much (the actual "how much" could likely be calculated if someone was ambitious enough). This is where gun design, stock fit, gun mount, ect will all come into play as contributing or mitigating factors.

My tubed skeet gun has ported 12ga barrels, and it weighted and balanced as close as possible to the gun when it has the 20ga tubes in, which are not ported. On paper the 12ga loads have more calculated recoil, however there is DEFINITELY a difference in muzzle jump which makes shooting the 12ga, especially for doubles, significantly easier. Same gun, same stock fit, very nearly the same weight and balance (if anything, 12ga is a tiny bit lighter), but higher recoiling larger gauge shells have much lower muzzle jump.

You could try telling him porting doesn't work (he had the most extreme porting I've seen so far). That's Sheik Ahmed al Maktoum, 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist in Double Trap (and before someone tries to go the "top shooters do it because they get paid" BS, he is (or at least was when he won, considering the oil price crash) likely worth more $ than everyone who has ever navigated to this website combined):

Or him, that's Peter Robert Russell Wilson, 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist in double trap, Ahmed's protege:

Perhaps the takeaway is that if we are going to port a gun, maybe we aren't porting it ENOUGH. I have Proport Pigeon Porting, and doubt I would go with less if I had to do it over again.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is no arguing that ported barrels are going to exhaust gas up and put downward pressure on the barrel. For me, I just don't see enough difference for it to effect me. My average in my unported 12 gauge is as good as in my ported, but as I said, it is noisier and takes more time to clean.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^^^
Yep :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

My XS skeet is factory ported. I wish it wasn't but it is still a nice gun. I do know a couple guys that get subgauge tubes for them and it is their skeet gun as a good number of people use the 20 gauge in the 12 gauge event. I like my heavy Kolar better but this is a fun gun to shoot.

https://i.imgur.com/sqMbmbK.jpg