ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New gun shoot it or not
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
I can’t even get excited about the idea of substituting the furniture when shooting.

Furniture - in British-speak, the visible small steel parts of a double gun: toplever, triggerguard, safety tab, forend release lever, etc. These parts are normally blued.
Wood/stocks are not furniture

"A gun no matter how fine, serves its destiny only if it is shot."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:13 am 
Limited Edition

2lo8s wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:
I can’t even get excited about the idea of substituting the furniture when shooting.

Furniture - in British-speak, the visible small steel parts of a double gun: toplever, triggerguard, safety tab, forend release lever, etc. These parts are normally blued.

Ach! Mea culpa. Thanks for the correction. My bad. Now I know. It seemed so obvious.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Shoot the hell out of it.

Great advice!! I like it. Remember what the old timers used to say. "When you shoot a new gun and miss the first target, it's bad luck. You should, immediately, sell it".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:52 pm 
Crown Grade

2lo8s wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:

I will admit, I always thought when people said a gun has nice furniture, i thought they meant the wood......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John Henry wrote:
2lo8s wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:

I will admit, I always thought when people said a gun has nice furniture, i thought they meant the wood......

Almost everyone does now, at least in America. There's not even much point in trying to explain it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:25 pm 
Limited Edition

lossking wrote:
John Henry wrote:
2lo8s wrote:

Almost everyone does now, at least in America. There's not even much point in trying to explain it.

Well in fairness, how much of what you know as furniture is made out of steel and aluminum rather than wood.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Tbh, what I know as "furniture" is primarily made of wood...but I'm not a post-modern kinda guy either.

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:09 pm 
Limited Edition

T-Pee wrote:
Tbh, what I know as "furniture" is primarily made of wood...

tp

Zackly!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:52 pm 
Field Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
I can’t even get excited about the idea of substituting the furniture when shooting. That’s just silly. If it is too pretty to shoot, it was too pretty to buy. Live like a rich man and use your stuff. I promise you, no one else gives a crap about your gun. You might as well enjoy it yourself.

Now, suppose it gets really well used and eventually looks it. Yeah, so what? That is just a good excuse to get to know a top notch stock restorer. See how that works. Win-win.

He obviously cared about his gun. What's wrong with changing the stock if you don't want to ruin it? I bought a used Remington 1100 sporting that had a beautiful walnut grain high gloss buttstock and forend that was too nice to ruin hunting. Yes, it's a common stock, but I replaced it with a synthetic stock for $52.00. I could have kept the original wood if I thought I'd hand down a nice looking gun to my son or just sell it. I decided to stick with the synthetic and sold the wood stock for $280.00. Put that money towards another gun... to each his own

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Don’t quite follow Colt......you’re going to save the wood, for a gun you’re going to ‘ruin’ hunting? First, nice wood shouldn’t be hidden away. Second, it can be refinished. Third, if you’re gonna be that tough on a gun hunting it...get a beater gun;-).

Hunting the hell of a gun doesn’t mean ruining it with a little care. And I’m thinking of a couple duck guns I hunted hard, very hard for over 40 years. They look pretty good all things considered. But I do agree with you, to each their own.

Post subject: New gun shoot it or not
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

No, don’t shoot it.

When shooters pass away, their kids and/or grandkids will sell off the entirety of their firearms estate with little care. It wasn’t sentimental to them and they want to get their hands on some free Benjamin’s.

I’ve seen this too many times and yes, I shoot all of mine and could care less about a NIB gun. Guns were made to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk