Shotgunworld.com
https://www.shotgunworld.com:443/bbs/

"Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee
https://www.shotgunworld.com:443/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=519724
Page 3 of 3

Author:  J.Fred_Muggs [ Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

oldskeetshooter wrote:
If your not off this field in an hour and 10 minutes, you will be moved to another field".


Why? With 1 1/2 hour flights, why did he demand 1h:10m? Was it not about the harmony of the shoot and all about the referee's personal convenience?

Author:  John Henry [ Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
oldskeetshooter wrote:
If your not off this field in an hour and 10 minutes, you will be moved to another field".


Why? With 1 1/2 hour flights, why did he demand 1h:10m? Was it not about the harmony of the shoot and all about the referee's personal convenience?


Maybe it was a Doubles event?

Author:  John H [ Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

I suppose if I were squadded with a good squad, 80 minutes would be fine. I watch the squads come through our shoots and most squads struggle with 90 minute flights.

Author:  oldskeetshooter [ Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

John Henry wrote:
J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
oldskeetshooter wrote:
If your not off this field in an hour and 10 minutes, you will be moved to another field".


Why? With 1 1/2 hour flights, why did he demand 1h:10m? Was it not about the harmony of the shoot and all about the referee's personal convenience?


Maybe it was a Doubles event?


Nope, 20 ga. The previous squad was late finishing. Although our squad was composed of AA and AAA shooters, The previous squad was....Uhhhh, "Several layers higher, on the skeet totem pole, than we were".

Politics and money prevail...

Author:  D McMillen [ Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

Again, as it was stated earlier, flight times for the Mini and the Main were 1hour-30 minutes, except for the Doubles event.

Author:  Snotrub [ Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

I think the I had the same referee as the OP in the doubles event. Man, he was a cranky old fart. It was really windy Monday for the doubles event and his hat kept flying off. I was lead off shooter and as I got the pad on station 3, his hat flew off for the 3rd time. He started cussing, swearing, and was visibly agitated. He mumbled something and stormed off, leaving me on the pad with a loaded gun. He came back with a different hat and yelled, "OK, let's go"! I looked at my squad mates with a "WTF?" look.

Author:  John Henry [ Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

Snotrub wrote:
........ It was really windy Monday for the doubles event ....... his hat flew off ......


Saying it was really windy is putting it mildly!!

We shot field 28 at 1100, and it was screaming. The targets were horrible, and we decided not to adjust them, and just have fun. Somehow, we managed to put up some decent scores, considering the targets!!

I had my hat cranked down so hard to stay on, I thought I might get a concussion!!

First time a World Championship has been won with a non-100 in how many years....??

Congrats to the 4 shooters who posted 99s in that mess!!

Author:  I like pie [ Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

Referee’s need to remain professional. I was shooting on a squad at the World Shoot when a referee called one of our squad members “Barney Rubble”, probably because he was loading one shell at a time.
He was well within his time frame but the referee was just being an _____________. It sure distracted the shooter which in turn cost him a good score.
Shooters lay down hard earned cash to attend and shoot. Often it is a once in a lifetime event. I know it was for this shooter. He won’t be back.

Author:  Jason Johnson [ Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

John Henry wrote:

First time a World Championship has been won with a non-100 in how many years....??


50 years. In 1970 the 410 event was won with a 99.

Best regards,
Jason

Author:  KennyPowers [ Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

John Henry wrote:
Saying it was really windy is putting it mildly!!

We shot field 28 at 1100, and it was screaming. The targets were horrible, and we decided not to adjust them, and just have fun. Somehow, we managed to put up some decent scores, considering the targets!!

I had a pair on station 7 that Monday where the high house target had curved in so far that by the time I located it, it was coming right at me and was maybe 6ft in front of my gun when I shot it. I got sprayed in the chest and face with all the dust and pieces. Luckily the splatter didn't appear to damage my gun or Pillas, but I got a bit of target dust in my mouth :lol:

Author:  John Henry [ Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "Too Slow" - Grumpy Old Referee

We had an unbroken target out of the high house from the field to our left, land right beside our station 3 in the grass, and roll half way to station 4.

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/