ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How did "Streamlined Shoot-offs" go?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:40 am 
Tournament Grade

To those that attended the World Shoot, what was your experience with the "Streamlined Shoot-offs"?

Post subject: Re: How did "Streamlined Shoot-offs" go?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Round 1, okay at best. The problem part was that they didn’t announce what you were shooting off for; class, concurrent, nor place, against whom, nor how many. You could look at the scoreboard and sort of tell. Example, I knew I shot a 99, knew management had us shooting off to ten places, and there were 7 100’s in AA-Class. So that left me shooting off for three places against a dozen other 99’s. Of course it is the World Championships, so you don’t know everyone by face and name.

When you got to the field, you were there with 12-15 others and no telling if those others were actually against were on the same field or some likely were on an adjacent field. You knew you had to do well or you were not getting one of those three places!

I went out on the sixth pair, and there were more than three still hitting targets, so typically would assume that I was done. But in this format, who knows? Was instructed to wait around for continuations. 35-mins later, sure enough, back to the field.

Round 2, the continuation was really confusing! Again no description of who you were against, or how many, or for what. I got out there with about a dozen shooters again ... I had gone out on the sixth pair, and there I was against folks that I knew had gone out on the second pair. Possibly against their concurrent? I knew some who were also AA-Class, so what the heck were we doing?

In total, from National Anthem to Pictures, it took the same amount of time as the old system however with much more confusion. The old system had many more 3-sums and 5-sums shooting off, and then the next small group went out. It was a continual run of putting small groups out to the fields. New system they combined those small groups together and shot fourteen on the same field; quicker! But then they had a long downtime with shooters waiting for management to calculate continuations. Added up to the same timeline.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

agree with the above. In one case, I had a shoot off which I knew was only for Military Champ (MLCH). The other guy, a friend, was on an adjacent field. We should have been together on the same field, it was just the two of us.

I witnessed several occasions where the shootoff came down to two contestants....and the two knew they weren't shooting against each other, so they spoke with ref and walked off. (IE, not same class, nor concurrent)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:47 pm 
Limited Edition

It was so streamlined, I was called for a shootoff on field 7, and then had a shootoff the on stadium field, and then a shootoff on field 8.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:28 am 
Presentation Grade

I agree with all the above. Not a good format for such a big shoot. Too confusing. I dropped 3 pairs in one shoot off and they told me to keep going. I went through a box and a half of shells and still didn't place. Go figure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:53 pm 
Crown Grade

I made sure to write this on the email post-world survey. Hopefully enough people did.

Also mentioned the dust storm on the upper fields. If using those for registered skeet, they need to run a water truck over the dirt road hourly or more. Every time a car would come by, always too fast, a huge dirt storm would te blown across the fields.

They run a water truck around the camping area at Stockton during the western open, and while not perfect, it helps a lot !