ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: progress
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:56 pm 
Field Grade

Last Saturday I shot a new record in skeet.
So it was all-targets-are-singles game, and I shot a 19.
I discovered how to hit the targets on station 8, well in a way that works for me.
Low house crossers are getting pretty good.
High house crossers are still a maybe thing.
Granted I will have to adjust some of my techniques when I start shooting pairs but for now it is a 19 score.

Post subject: Re: progress
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Congratulations. Every added clay is a triumph.

However, the other day, I thought I would shoot a round of Skeet by myself just to warm up for our regular outing on Wednesday.

I can usually kill the bird easily from number 1, on both high and low houses.

This day my mind must have been in Africa, rather than TN.

I missed them right off, and I stayed at the station until I broke single birds going both ways. Then I started trying to hit True Pairs.

In great shame, I left the same station after blowing through an entire box of 25 shells. I NEVER got all four in a row! Luckily, I was alone with my dilemma.

Somedays you are the bug, some days you are the windshield! Yikes!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

First rule of skeet:

No target is hard to break, but all targets are easy to miss.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:35 pm 
Limited Edition

The better skeet guys at my club say that if you are having trouble with a station or stations that is all you should work on until you have the confidence that you can break them anytime.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:39 pm 
Crown Grade

icyclefar wrote:
First rule of skeet:

No target is hard to break, but all targets are easy to miss.

That's also true for trap and sporting. Loss of focus causes more misses than anything else.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

There are more ways to miss them than to hit them. Brain slips happen. Twice last week I missed 1H only to run the rest for a 24. It happens. Both times I was too far under the target, knew it, yet pulled the trigger anyway rather than make the adjustment. I didn't let it get into my head as it's not a target that I normally miss. Take them one at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am stuck at a 23 average but don't have a problem with any one station. I can miss from any one the stations except #7 usually ok there. The other day I had a straight going and missed both shots on low house 8 for my 23 again. I had not missed at that station for a long time.
I took up skeet 4-5 yrs ago when our club got some grants to put in a skeet field. I am now 74 and beginning to realize my reaction times are not going to get any better and this may be as good as it gets.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:57 pm 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
I am stuck at a 23 average but don't have a problem with any one station. I can miss from any one the stations except #7 usually ok there. The other day I had a straight going and missed both shots on low house 8 for my 23 again. I had not missed at that station for a long time.
I took up skeet 4-5 yrs ago when our club got some grants to put in a skeet field. I am now 74 and beginning to realize my reaction times are not going to get any better and this may be as good as it gets.

Have you tried going to a lighter gun in a subgauge bore size?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

To the OP..is it possible that you are simply getting bored/distracted? I'm 81 and by the end of the second round, my mind can wander.

What about shooting a Round out of sequence? Start at the ends and finish on 3/4/5.

If you are missing on completely different stations, you are not focusing all of the ways through the round. It happens.