ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 pm 
Field Grade

Seems like every time I shoot lately I've hit 23 or 24 birds. Doesn't seem to matter whether I'm shooting a .410 SXS choked F&F or my SKB 12ga choke skeet and skeet. Even the double 20 and the full choke 16 pump are shooting the same scores. Mine you, I'm not complaining, but why can't at least one of those rounds be a 25 straight? Its always a different station. Guess I'm an equal opportunity misser. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Losing your focus.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:57 am 
Diamond Grade

Yeah, sounds like mental lapses. Get an aggressive mindset, keep your mental focus on each shot and stop worrying about your score while you're shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:11 am 
Tournament Grade

At least in my simple mind, if I COUNT, I lose. My rounds have been better when I don't pay attention to how many I hit/miss.

Some guy posted here that if he misses, he puts that shell in a different pocket. I am going to try that system and see how it works for me. p.s. I wish my scores were as high as yours.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:41 am 
Crown Grade

richg99 wrote:
Some guy posted here that if he misses, he puts that shell in a different pocket. I am going to try that system and see how it works for me. p.s. I wish my scores were as high as yours.

And what good does that do that guy?

What good is keeping score when you are practicing? When shooting a tournament, someone else is counting for you!

As an engineer, numbers are just easy for me, so without even trying, I always know my score, and at least the shooter shooting in front of me, even though I wish I didn't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:08 pm 
Field Grade

You may be right. I might be loosing focus. Need to think about gun mount and get it right before calling for the bird. That might be where I'm falling down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:56 pm 
Limited Edition

I find a consistent preshot routine helps, I don't mean standing on the pad over thinking the next shot. Preshot routine starts when previous shooter steps on the pad. I have a list that I review, foot position, hold point (distance from hole as well as below flight path), look point, good mount, weight distribution, start gun on the flash, these are what works for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:35 pm 
Field Grade

You may have something there. I think I get in too much of a hurry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you figure it out let me know I'm in the same rut. Always missing one or two but never the same station.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Pace is an important part of your routine. I remember Wayne Mayes saying that he once caught himself speeding up, realized it was affecting his game, and worked to ensure that he always controlled his pace. I know it cost me in competition once and I realized it was an easy variable to control and applied in practice as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John Henry wrote:
richg99 wrote:

And what good does that do that guy? . . .

Speaking as that guy . . . what it does it allows you to know how you did once the round is over, without giving any thought to keeping score while you're shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm with RoosterBooster. "Losing your focus"

I just came in from shooting one round of Trap ( I know it is a Skeet Thread.) I am gradually crawling up in scoring in both Skeet and Trap. The Skeet field was tied up, so I decided I'd use the more-distant Trap field.

I had one odd-ball shell in my kit. I slipped it into the gun and casually called PULL. It was an easy, sliding away and rising slowly, no wind... shot. Missed it.

Put a full box in my belt and proceeded to shoot the next 17 or so straight. I missed another easy shot that looked just like the first one. Two or three shots afterward, the same thing. A shot that I can normally hit all day long, and I miss it three times in 26 shells.

23 for 26 is the way I score it (unofficially). Every single one was due to a lack of focus. I hit the hard ones every time.
Bah Humbug.

Heck, still my Personal Best, though.

Last edited by richg99 on Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
John Henry wrote:
richg99 wrote:

And what good does that do that guy? . . .

Speaking as that guy . . . what it does it allows you to know how you did once the round is over, without giving any thought to keeping score while you're shooting.

I think I shoot with someone who does that. During each round we have to remind him 3 or 4 times that he's already shot his option.