ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gone for a year. Gone forever?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:13 am 
Limited Edition

I see many long-time registered skeet shooters have not shot any registered targets in 2020. I wonder how many of those are gone forever.

Post subject: Re: Gone for a year. Gone forever?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

A couple of fellows in our state dropped out of registered shooting due to COVID fears. Both say they didn't miss it a lick. Whether they will return remains unknown.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm not currently a registered shooter but I've stopped skeet shooting 4 times in my life of a year or more duration and returned.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:59 pm 
Limited Edition

What may be a larger issue for the sport is how many clubs that had to cancel registered shoots in 2020 will hold registered shoots in the future.

It's only a month to two until clubs and state associations establish their registered program and shoots for 2021. Will they hold registered shoots? Should they register shoots now, then cancel if events do not improve? Or just postpone those decisions?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
What may be a larger issue for the sport is how many clubs that had to cancel registered shoots in 2020 will hold registered shoots in the future.

It's only a month to two until clubs and state associations establish their registered program and shoots for 2021. Will they hold registered shoots? Should they register shoots now, then cancel if events do not improve? Or just postpone those decisions?

Our club is going to have two, 5-gun registered events and three club events, plus a series of Big 50 trap trap nights.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:15 am 
Limited Edition

I suspect those that largely sat out 2020 will be sitting out much of 2021 as well.

Ironically, those that sat out 2020 often are the shooters with ammo. They bought their ammo for 2020, then didn't use it. There it sits in 2021. But many of those desiring to shoot in 2021 don't have ammo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Our club is going to have its annual Polar Bear shoot on January 30. I won’t be there

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:44 am 
Limited Edition

A shooting friend that has moved to a retirement Mecca tells me most of the NSSA members there are not renewing for 2021. Their thinking is 'Why renew now?'. Renewing now gets them neither a magazine nor an average card. They say they will renew at their first shoot of 2021....if they shoot in 2021.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Pretty good bet some are not returning. Take two weeks off, then quit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
its just a matter of time in life, when others start seeing what ive been trying to say all along. too bad it took covid to get their attention.

I believe the OP was wondering how many (died) due to covid.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:11 am 
Limited Edition

For me, I am at the point of questioning my participation. I recently lost a very close friend, whom was a squad-mate, mentor, and great traveling companion ( Bill Wainscott ) of mine for the last 15 yrs. After last yrs fiasco with dealing with the pandemic, out of work, and a significant other whom is on the front lines day in and day out fighting this dreadful virus, is it really worth dropping on avg about 600-800 $ a weekend; ( entry fees, plus travel expenses ) only time would tell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Say you don't shoot, what are you going to do?? Sit around and worry about catching a cold?? Some life...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Bailey Boat wrote:
Say you don't shoot, what are you going to do?? Sit around and worry about catching a cold?? Some life...

Kinda depends on your individual situation, eh? Anyone you live with that you’re concerned about, or is at high risk, etc..? Blanket statements with so many variables are usually a mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:52 am 
Limited Edition

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
A couple of fellows in our state dropped out of registered shooting due to COVID fears. Both say they didn't miss it a lick.

My worry is there are many like this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've not shot in 6yrs other than a few rounds at Henry Grubbs field in NC. None since he passed on New Years Eve 2018. I kept my club membership for years and never was able to drive the 1hr to get there anymore. Too busy. I miss it, mostly some close friends I'd made, might make it back someday but I totally get being away for years at a time. 5+ years ago there was a worry about not enough younger shooters to back fill all us old farts. Hope that changed since I've been away.