ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gone for a year. Gone forever?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:55 am 
Presentation Grade

John Henry wrote:
J.Fred_Muggs wrote:

A couple great Black Friday/Xmas (2019) deals on #9 ammo left me with more skeet ammo on my shelves than usual. Covid and family health circumstance left it unused 2020. I won't get my Covid vaccination in time to make my traditional season opener in 2021.

There was another poster on here named "Show Me" who once posted the same thing about finding some good deals and having excess Skeet ammo on hand.

You and he are really lucky fellows!

What happened to Show Me? I know he's up there in your neck of the woods.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

eiderz wrote:
Maybe a burnout and covid exodus is what the game needs. The solution to the perfect score "problem" without changing the game.
I remember who you are and I believe that you are correct. IIRC, when you departed, did you ever come back?

Financially, 2008 was almost as destructive as COVID for many shooters.

People will do, as they will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:28 am 
Presentation Grade

I don't see myself shooting skeet again. I have no desire to shoot any clay targets of any kind ever again. We've shot skeet a grand total of once in 11 years, taking a friend to the range who wanted to learn. My wife and I miss the people, and sometimes she mentions wanting to go to a shoot but only half heartedly. To be competitive requires such a commitment of time, I figure I wasted enough heartbeats on a skeet field for one lifetime.

Funny you mention the 2008 financial thing, I was happy to have decided the year before to wind things down. It allowed me to keep an eye on business so we didn't get crushed like some folks. Not burning so much time during the summer gives me the freedom to hunt more and do winter stuff like icefish and ride the snowsleds. Nothing beats riding a sled at 70 mph in fresh powder down the middle of a frozen 30 mile long lake. Feels just as exciting as it did the first time, over 50 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

eiderz wrote:
I don't see myself shooting skeet again. I have no desire to shoot any clay targets of any kind ever again. We've shot skeet a grand total of once in 11 years, taking a friend to the range who wanted to learn. My wife and I miss the people, and sometimes she mentions wanting to go to a shoot but only half heartedly. To be competitive requires such a commitment of time, I figure I wasted enough heartbeats on a skeet field for one lifetime.
Not quite there - yet. I still like to make noise and blow s**t up. :lol:

Don't practice a lot and don't travel to shoot anymore, but shoot 4 or 5 local shoots a year looking for that 200,000 target. Keeps me tuned up for those quackers & honkers - don't cha know. :D

Ice season was good to me this year, but it's done and the new SnowDog is put away. Getting the boat ready for the soft deck in a couple of weeks. And we have our Sporting 6-Club Circuit shoot again this year with a Lewis Class chance of winning a new Browning Shotgun. Life and retirement are good.

To the OP, not gone forever, but slowed down just a tad.

Retired

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
I still like to make noise and blow s**t up. :lol:

Who doesn't like to do that? {hs# :D

If I was inclined to travel and compete, it would be live birds. No clay target game comes close to that excitement. And I have about 10 flats of ammo left from the pallet I bought in the 2000's, so I got that going for me.

Quote:
Life and retirement are good.

Ditto on the first part, looking forward to the second in a few years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:17 am 
Crown Grade

As far as shooters coming back after COVID, the subject of this thread,.....the Triple J, new name for the Blaser, had a higher attendance this year than in the previous 5+ years, even during an ammo shortage!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:18 pm 
Limited Edition

From minutes of EC Conference call 1/21/21 -

•NSSA: membership down 5%

•Clubs down 5%

•Targets down 32%

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:

•Clubs down 5%

•Targets down 32%

Those numbers are actually quite good, given the Sheet Show known as 2020.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Right now my plan for the 2021 season is 0-1 shoots.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

My 2021 skeet comp plan is one shot already, registered for 3 more out of state, zone 3 shoot, US open, state shoot, three smaller shoot in state, host two shoots at home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
A couple of fellows in our state dropped out of registered shooting due to COVID fears. Both say they didn't miss it a lick. Whether they will return remains unknown.

Well, I'm taking entries for our first shoot, at our club, and both fellows have indicated they are shooting. We're about 4 weeks out and have the shoot 2/3 full. That's about par for our shoots. If this year is like years' past, we'll be short a couple of slots of being full.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:53 pm 
Crown Grade

I’ve shot 4 already, will have 4 more shot by the end of May! Probably 12-14 total!

Loving it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:02 pm 
Crown Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:

•Clubs down 5%

•Targets down 32%

This is the kind of stuff “Show Me” used to post, always trying to paint a negative picture of skeet once he was no longer competitive.

But he got banned back in June last year....you know....right before you signed up........

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Right now my plan for the 2021 season is 0-1 shoots.

That’s too bad, wish you could make more!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:41 am 
Presentation Grade

I would expect the same is true for all of the shooting sports.

I’ve dropped out of shooting for years at clip. Life gets in the way: work, family, kids, money, health, loss of shooting partners, other hobbies become more important, moves, etc.

Some people are “all in” for a couple of years and burn out because they can’t get any better or can’t compete. This is true for most hobbies.

With the pandemic, several of the above happen at the same time. Shooting costs time and a lot of money, which may not be available. No ammo doesn’t help things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:38 am 
Presentation Grade

I think I'm done for the year. It has nothing to do with any outside influences, I just physically can't do it right now. I dislocated my shooting shoulder a few months ago and I just can't lift my gun 200 times a day plus every shot hurts like hell. I tried, but I think I need to take some time to heal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:27 am 
Crown Grade

Snotrub wrote:
I think I'm done for the year. It has nothing to do with any outside influences, I just physically can't do it right now. I dislocated my shooting shoulder a few months ago and I just can't lift my gun 200 times a day plus every shot hurts like hell. I tried, but I think I need to take some time to heal.
I've had rotator cuff repair surgery on both shoulders one year apart. I'm right handed and had the right shoulder done first. Doctor said 'no shooting for 12 weeks.' I AGGRESSIVELY attacked therapy from the git go and was shooting my 10 lb tubed Skeet gun in 410 at week 8. in week 9, I moved up to the 28 and then the 20. Saw the doctor in week 10 and he looked at the progress report from the therapist and said I was good to go now. I then told him how I started 2 weeks earlier. We both had a good laugh.

The next year I had the left shoulder done. It took about 4 month's before I was able to hold the weight of the tubed gun without pain for a full round (25 shots) of Skeet, and a month or so longer before I could do a 100 target event.

Rotator cuff repair surgery is nothing to be afraid of. Recovery will be dependent on your attitude in therapy. A total shoulder replacement will probably take a full year to fully recover from, but rotator cuff repair is a walk in the park. If your ortho guy recommends it, then I would strongly encourage you to 'Git r done!' :D

Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, lets face it, things just keep getting worse.
You have to figure out how to buck the trend.
Do what you enjoy, while the world goes it's
own way.