ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skeet Machines
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Our club is looking at buying a set of skeet machines. I would like to hear opinions on the various manufacturers machines.

Post subject: Re: Skeet Machines
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:37 pm 
Limited Edition

My club has 4 fields equipped with Beomat machines, purchases a set every two,years starting in around 2001. All machines have around 500,000 targets on them. Very little maintainence issues. One capacitor, one main spring, two new arms, strip of spring steel that lets the stack of targets down after dropping one to the arm are replaced about every other year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:48 pm 
Crown Grade

We run Beomats also. 5 fields plus 2 spare machines. We replace the brushes and o-rings annually (25-50 thousand targets per machine). Good machines. We run in temps anywhere from around zero to 100f. We use white flyer pitch targets.

One of Many

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Like the two post above, Beomat machines throw great targets and my club threw 2,000,000 targets with a set of them.

But warning, they are complicated and you need intelligent club members to work on them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Our club has had great service from Laporte traps. We originally bought 6 of the older 10 column machines very well used from Black Wing in Ohio. They were in service on our trap fields for 5 years, and then replaced with new Laportes. The old machines were repurposed for a five stand course, where they sit outside year round and still perform very well. I can't begin to guess at how many thousands of targets they have launched. The bottom plates have deep, circular wear grooves. I am a retired carpenter, with minimal machine/mechanical knowledge, and yet I can work on these and repair them as the need arises. Don, at Laporte USA, is a great resource and has talked me through many fixes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:13 am 
Presentation Grade

We have recently placed Mec machines on 2 of our three skeet fields, replacing some aging Beomats. By comparison the Mecs are incredibly simple machines and they throw excellent targets.

The Mecs offer tool free adjustment and similar to many modern machines the motor only runs to re-cock the machine. Worth mentioning, the footprint of the Mecs were a bit larger than the Beomats that they replaced, something you might want to keep in mind if space is tight.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The MEC machine is the former APEX machine that was made in Kansas City, Kansas. They were designed to be simple and repairable with ordinary hand tools. My experience with them has always been positive. Our club currently uses Promatic: also a machine that has given us good service.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:56 am 
Crown Grade

I know a lot of clubs over the past ten years are going with Lincoln traps. They are affordable, and throw a good target.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 pm 
Limited Edition

We currently have Beomat on one field and are upgrading our other field. I am interested in the Sporter style traps due to the simplicity and parts availability, but have heard complaints about how they do not throw good consistent skeet birds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Our club has Atlas machines for our 2 fields. We throw about 44,000 targets per machine in a year. One field has traps of about 7 years old and the other has 3 year old traps. I'm not crazy about the older machines but the newer ones use a stouter, longer-life spring and improvements have been made to reduce spring rod wear. Our newer machines are easy to adjust target flight without tools and maintain. The older machines are not as easy and need a large wrench to adjust. The company's customer service is very good. The machines are reliable in cold weather which can get down to below 0.

ps These machines run on DC power and need either batteries and chargers or a transformer. We run them with a transformer.

Last edited by twohigh on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Beomats throw very consistent targets. They are great machines. I know of several Beomats that have thrown, well over, 1,000,000 targets with the only parts replaced being maintenance items. Beomats will need rollers, orings and microswitches. Matterellis are great also. Great dependability and good consistent targets. Matterelllis are easier to maintain and adjust. The only thing about Matterellis that is a PITA is replacing the throwing arm inserts. In my experience, those inserts are, about the only thing that requires yearly replacement..

I'd much rather repair a Matterelli than a Beomat. Matterellis are much simpler to disassemble. IE: A broken spring, on a matterelli can be replaced in a couple of minutes. A beomat is, at least, 1/2 hour if your are lucky.

Flip a coin. You cant go wrong with either manufacturer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We had an old Winchester/Western machine that went for 60 years. It would still be going but for the lack of parts. It was as big as a washing machine and as dependable as the old Maytags

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Those WW machines were great! I've shot a lot of targets out of them. The only down side to them was the limited number of clays they could hold. They were what we had before we bought the Atlas traps. Parts availability became a big problem indeed. The club I belonged to in the early 70s used them and they weren't new then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:24 pm 
Limited Edition

We are actually replacing Winchester single stacks. Great machines, just not practical anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What do they use at major championship shoots and the Olympics?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Promatic I believe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:53 am 
Limited Edition

I have read posts suggesting Laporte have been used in the Olympics as well.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Laporte, Beomat, matarelli, GMV, Promatic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:04 am 
Limited Edition

casonet wrote:
Promatic I believe

The NSC in San Antonio uses LaPorte.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Our club has Due-Matics which I am impressed with. I am not certain how expensive they are, or how difficult to maintain, our guy is meticulous. They throw a very consistent target with virtually no breakage. The club throws White Flyer Blackouts which my understanding is a bio. The machines are very easy to adjust; up-down and in-out are on turn buckles, pitch-roll is on a big knob next to those other two. Speed adjustment is a twist on a lagbolt sticking out of the back of the machine that runs through the coil spring.

I would put the Due-Matic on par with the Beomat, would recommend either.